Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Rusty33)
    And, yet you're trying to educate me on the ways of the world? If you can't distinguish the difference between some of the basic measurements of economics, how do you come off trying to educate me about global politics/economics? :rolleyes:
    Well according to wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purchasing_power_parity] there doesn't seem to be anything simple about economics measurements. if there were then degrees in it wouldn't be so hard now would they.
    My postdoctorate isn't in economics, so i can unfortunately only express an opinion based on the material i read, which although extensive is never going to be absolute. Hence why i often qualify it with an 'i think'.

In the case of this topic i believe it was a cursory glance at an article some weeks back that brought this topic up. entirely believable to me what with the massive growth of china and relative slowing of the US, plus the US' issues with balancing the books, not to mention the money the US is pissing away in places like Iraq. A quick look up on the internet reveals that obviously others saw the same articles as me/same information.
    "http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=china+overtake+US +gdp&btnG=Search"
    some agree, some disagree. there are indeed lots of variables, from chinas ability to sustain its growth, to its human rights and democracy records (which both cost money as it were). the growth of china and subsequent loss of power for the US in the superpower stakes could also hit america hard with its ability to...'negotiate' trade deals with some poorer countries. all variables to think about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robot Chicken)
    the likes of the economist it seems would beg to differ.
    but then they don't have such talented people like youself on their payroll do they.
    A) The Economist isn't G-d
    B) Find me the exact quote that says that China will surpass the US in a decade

(Original post by allymcb2)
    You have no idea why I dislike americans or whether I am wrong in my beliefs. So you can't really argue on that point. They both have accents which annoy me.
    The stereotypical New York accent is a near mirror image of the southern Italian accent. Can I assume you hate Italians as well?

ReputationRep:
    Well according to wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purchasing_power_parity] there doesn't seem to be anything simple about economics measurements. if there were then degrees in it wouldn't be so hard now would they.
    My postdoctorate isn't in economics, so i can unfortunately only express an opinion based on the material i read, which although extensive is never going to be absolute. Hence why i often qualify it with an 'i think'.

In the case of this topic i believe it was a cursory glance at an article some weeks back that brought this topic up. entirely believable to me what with the massive growth of china and relative slowing of the US, plus the US' issues with balancing the books, not to mention the money the US is pissing away in places like Iraq. A quick look up on the internet reveals that obviously others saw the same articles as me/same information.
    "http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=china+overtake+US +gdp&btnG=Search"
    some agree, some disagree. there are indeed lots of variables, from chinas ability to sustain its growth, to its human rights and democracy records (which both cost money as it were). the growth of china and subsequent loss of power for the US in the superpower stakes could also hit america hard with its ability to...'negotiate' trade deals with some poorer countries. all variables to think about.
    For starters the US consistently has the highest economic growth rate from the Western world (Australia has been doing a bit better lately I believe), and that growth rate isn't slowing down. While the US consistently grows by 3.5% per year, most European countries are lucky to grow over 2.5%. Secondly, China's total output is 5 to 6 times smaller than that of the US. It's currently growing at an unsustainable rate of 9% a year (even the Chinese government realizes that it's unsustainable and likely to lead to massive inflation, which is why it has been trying to slow down growth for the last 2 or so years). If by some miracle, China maintains this rate of growth, it would take it about 35 years to catch up to the US. And it would take about 70 years for it catch up to the US in per capita income. The academic debate is over whether China can legitimately challenge the US in several decades, not that whether it could surpass it.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, the old 'My cocks bigger than yours'

Back to the point, the woman in the article, from the evidence there appears to be an attention whore trying to promote her new business.

America is disliked as a nation, and justly so. But as with this country, it isn't the fault of ALL the people they have a **** for a leader, I'm truly embarrassed to have Bliar as prime-minister, but theres not a lot I can do about it.

That said I know a few Americans, and I wish they had lessons in lowering their voices by about 10 decibels before coming here....

(Original post by Straas)
    That said I know a few Americans, and I wish they had lessons in lowering their voices by about 10 decibels before coming here....
    Ever been to Yorkshire..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    A) The Economist isn't G-d
    :eek:

ReputationRep:
    "the woman in the article, from the evidence there appears to be an attention whore trying to promote her new business. "

Well, it appears she gave up "her business" over in London....it reports that she returned to the US with a black eye after crying for 2 days.... wow, what an dumb attention whore :rolleyes: Next time the ***** better know her place in the UK, huh? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    It's funny (or strange) because I've been to America and talked to American people (both there and here) I wouldn't ever give them attitude because of their nationality but it seems like at school they tend to end up being the butt of jokes and they are really easy to make fun of along with the French. It's almost to me like it's something I'll joke about but I wouldn't say in a serious way 'god all Americans are just evil/stupid/fat etc etc'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straas)
    Ahh, the old 'My cocks bigger than yours'

Back to the point, the woman in the article, from the evidence there appears to be an attention whore trying to promote her new business.

America is disliked as a nation, and justly so. But as with this country, it isn't the fault of ALL the people they have a **** for a leader, I'm truly embarrassed to have Bliar as prime-minister, but theres not a lot I can do about it.

well said

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sorani)
    . It's almost to me like it's something I'll joke about but I wouldn't say in a serious way 'god all Americans are just evil/stupid/fat etc etc'
    I would say most people are reasonably light-hearted about their stereotypical images of nations. Often I find that americans don't get that the British sense of humour is based largely on *****iness (one of the main reasons I dont like them) and take jokes made at there expense as 'america-bashing'. Apart from the die-hard left wingers, it is mostly just a bit of light hearted patriotism and the fact that there are a lot of things to make fun of.

ReputationRep:
    All the Italians I have ever met were from Northern Italy, so I couldnt possibly comment.

ReputationRep:
    All the Italians I have ever met were from Northern Italy, so I couldnt possibly comment.
    What an ignorant nation Britain must be when one of its citizens has never spoken to anyone from Sicily.

ReputationRep:
    The only reason people get so untight about stereotypes is because they are so often correct that it makes us all feel slightly uncomfortable.

ReputationRep:
    What an ignorant nation Britain must be when one of its citizens has never spoken to anyone from Sicily.
    Yes, GOD, aren't we SOOOO much worse than a nation whose president thinks Wales is a state in america.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, not to mention the fact that less than 1/3 of the nation owns a passport.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, not to mention the fact that less than 1/3 of the nation owns a passport.
    About 40% own a passport, and last time I checked 40% was larger than a third, but perhaps that's because American math is different from British maths.

And FYI, a roughly equal percentage of Canadians own a passport. Are they ignorant as well?

Yes, GOD, aren't we SOOOO much worse than a nation whose president thinks Wales is a state in america.
    I wonder how many American states you could name off the top of your head.

About 40% own a passport, and last time I checked 40% was larger than a third, but perhaps that's because American math is different from British maths.

And FYI, a roughly equal percentage of Canadians own a passport. Are they ignorant as well?

I wonder how many American states you could name off the top of your head.
    off the top of my head...
    north carolina
    s carolina
    north dakota
    south daktoa
    california
    miami
    florida
    nebraska
    nevada
    new york
    new jersey
    new hampshire
    rhode island
    massachusets
    washington state
    utah
    ohio
    iowa
    idaho
    indiana
    texas
    new mexico
    alaska
    louisiana
    mississippi
    tennesse
    virginia (is there a west virginia too?)
    kentucky
    hawaii
    alabama
    montana
    maryland
    oklahoma
    pennsylvania
    michigan (not sure if thats a state or just a lake...)

hmmm that's me beat. how do i compare to your average brit (or american) adult for number of states known?

I don't think even i've ever met a Sicilian, and i know dozens of italians. Half my housemates now are italian.
    T'is rather a silly thing to say really - don't stoop to the lowest common denominator.

ReputationRep:
    off the top of my head...
    north carolina
    s carolina
    north dakota
    south daktoa
    california
    miami
    florida
    nebraska
    nevada
    new york
    new jersey
    new hampshire
    rhode island
    massachusets
    washington state
    utah
    ohio
    iowa
    idaho
    indiana
    texas
    new mexico
    alaska
    louisiana
    mississippi
    tennesse
    virginia (is there a west virginia too?)
    kentucky
    hawaii
    alabama
    montana
    maryland
    oklahoma
    pennsylvania
    michigan (not sure if thats a state or just a lake...)

hmmm that's me beat. how do i compare to your average brit (or american) adult for number of states known?
    Miami isn't a state. The ignorance of the British race is proven once again. :rolleyes:

I don't think even i've ever met a Sicilian, and i know dozens of italians. Half my housemates now are italian.
    T'is rather a silly thing to say really - don't stoop to the lowest common denominator.
    I was being sarcastic you know. I mean if a New Yorker knows someone from Sicily, despite Sicily being about 4,000 miles away, and a Brit doesn't know any Sicilian, despite Sicily being at most 1,000 miles away, clearly one is geographically challenged.

And you probably haven't met any Sicilians because they're either making pizza in New York or serving time for being in the Mob. Aren't stereotypes cool?

Miami isn't a state. The ignorance of the British race is proven once again. :rolleyes:

I was being sarcastic you know. I mean if a New Yorker knows someone from Sicily, despite Sicily being about 4,000 miles away, and a Brit doesn't know any Sicilian, despite Sicily being at most 1,000 miles away, clearly one is geographically challenged.

And you probably haven't met any Sicilians because they're either making pizza in New York or serving time for being in the Mob. Aren't stereotypes cool?
    doi, miami is in florida then yeh?
    well for someone who has never even left the country i think i did pretty well.
    am going to be spending 4 days in miami this summer en route to ozzie and am well psyched. i think its cos of all the CSI miami i watch.

as for sicilians, am curious. do you calss someone born in america of sicilian born parents as sicilian? cos personally i don't. (same with brits born of indian parents here). So how many 'sicilian' people are there in new york these days - when did the mass immigration stop?

Its quite curious how it is much mroe acceptable to have dual identities in amerca than britian. there you can be much mroe open in calling yourself a smaller group like 'irish-american' or italian-american. suppose its a size thing.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2008
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.