Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by needtosucceed=))
    I got 80.9 too I'm not sure how people got 150 :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah i got that too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    whatever I way I worked it out I had 154500 adverse, then I did it again and got 80900. I wrote it as 80.9 adverse though :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jake_Babydee)
    whatever I way I worked it out I had 154500 adverse, then I did it again and got 80900. I wrote it as 80.9 adverse though :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah hahaa i got that too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    haha I better do well in this exam lol this is my second time doing it! buss3 next week and then buss4.. I'm so stressed lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Variance analysis

Budgeted - Actual = variance

Budgeted = 117700 profit

Actual = -36800 profit

117700 F - 36800 A = 80900 Adverse

The profit for that year was £80900 less than the budgeted amount of 117700

You add all the F's and subtract the A's to get the variance, the use of negative numbers is confusing!

This is how I answered the question, please can someone tell me where I went wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbtrkt1)
    Variance analysis

Budgeted - Actual = variance

Budgeted = 117700 profit

Actual = -36800 profit

117700 F - 36800 A = 80900 Adverse

The profit for that year was £80900 less than the budgeted amount of 117700

You add all the F's and subtract the A's to get the variance, the use of negative numbers is confusing!

This is how I answered the question, please can someone tell me where I went wrong
    Amen!
    Sounds right to me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brandon_RNS)
    Amen!
    Sounds right to me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah no it is wrong,

If they made -£36000 profit

and they budgeted £117000

then £36000 would be needed to get to £0 profit

and then a further £117000 to get to the budgeted.

36000+117000=153000A

ReputationRep:
    if they budgeted 117000 and achieved 36000 then the variance would be 80000 adverse because it was lower than expected?

ReputationRep:
    if they budgeted 117000 and achieved 36000 then the variance would be 80000 adverse because it was lower than expected?
    They didn't achieve 36000 profit, they made a loss of 36000. You got a negative figure when you worked out the actual profit, but it wasn't a profit it was a loss

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by needtosucceed=))
    They didn't achieve 36000 profit, they made a loss of 36000. You got a negative figure when you worked out the actual profit, but it wasn't a profit it was a loss

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah spot on. The mistake most people made was thinking the firm was making a profit whereas they were actually making a loss. So therefore the budgeted figure minus that loss should give you 153/154 (000s) something adverse profit variance

ReputationRep:
    No you have done budget-actual, it is budget-- (minus, minus) actual which is a plus. So technically you're saying they have an actual of 36 or whatever it is, not -36. The difference between the actual and the budget is 154500 adverse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iAhmedd)
    Yeah spot on. The mistake most people made was thinking the firm was making a profit whereas they were actually making a loss. So therefore the budgeted figure minus that loss should give you 153/154 (000s) something adverse profit variance
    I knew they made a loss but I didnt think of looking at the figures properly to see if it made sense lol. ah well hopefully done better on the other questions!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brandon_RNS)
    Yeah i got that too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    it was wrong though :/ i reckon we'll get 4/6

ReputationRep:
    Guys how do everyone think about their exam? Anyone know about the grade boundaries? For me, I don't think I did good on this one. So many messed up answer I wrote. feel really bad!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure it was 154,500
    The real profit was like -30,000 or something so they made a loss and they budget to make around 120,000 so the variance was (154,500)
    I'm pretty sure this was correct, quite tricky for a calculation question!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yuvalpesh)
    I'm pretty sure it was 154,500
    The real profit was like -30,000 or something so they made a loss and they budget to make around 120,000 so the variance was (154,500)
    I'm pretty sure this was correct, quite tricky for a calculation question!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah it got everyone, but I guess we will have to wait and see :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by May-o2q)
    Guys how do everyone think about their exam? Anyone know about the grade boundaries? For me, I don't think I did good on this one. So many messed up answer I wrote. feel really bad!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In my opinion I reckon around the 50's for an A, the paper felt average, not the best, hence why the case study lacked detail in question 2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j0shyouare)
    Yes, and then wrote that it could decrease quality if production is rushed however..
    I also put that, as the employees would focus on the amount of products made rather than the quality of them

ReputationRep:
    haha I better do well in this exam lol this is my second time doing it! buss3 next week and then buss4.. I'm so stressed lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    hey dont stress out.. it was my third time doing this exam and i also have buss4 on the 20th prepared?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.