Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you ever been insulted about your looks? watch

ReputationRep:
    I have never been purposefully insulted but people have said things that became insulting like I got once your lips are really big like a fish. :unimpressed:

ReputationRep:
    If someone called me fat right now then i'd agree, it probably wouldnt bother me as much. I just got really annoyed/hurt at being called fat at school because i wasnt actually fat, was just more curvy than most of the other girls. immature boys! Theres a guy at work that calls me thelma from scooby doo, think its my glasses..its totally stupid cos he wears glasses like harry potter!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skadden)
    At secondary school, being the "smartest" meant being scorned. On top of being the "swot", I was also considered "ugly". I had never been conscious of my appearance before. I thought I was perfect and beautiful, and felt this was true of all girls in their own ways.

• For five years, my head was pelted with bits of rubber (it was a game for the guys -- hitting my head meant scoring).
    • On a non-uniform day, I made an effort to look good. Perhaps I didn't have a 'great' sense of fashion back then, so it meant coming to school in tight yellowy skinny jeans and a cream coloured top. I remember how one of the guys from the 'good-looking/hot' group saw me and said 'now SHE is a COMPLETE babe' sarcastically, to which the other guys responded with a drawn-out 'ERRRRRRRRRRRR'. This was in earshot of the whole class. The part that hurt the most was I hadn't detected the sarcasm initially and for five seconds I'd felt great...shame on me.
    • This guy became less of a bully later on, or maybe he was just in a better mood on another day when he looked at me and said "you ARE kind of pretty". I was smiling all day after that, ridiculous thought it may sound now.
    • At one point, the group of "good-looking/hot" guys and girls would follow me around the school, saying stuff like "do you have a willy?" or "she has a willy".
    • I was walking down the corridor. A girl from a group of ~15 people from my year group said "hi" to me. I responded: "hello". The whole group laughed and jeered at me as I left the corridor.
    • A guy came up to me in ICT class (he was sat in a group of ten or so guys and had gotten dared to come up) and started rubbing my back my his hand and saying "hey SEXY". I didn't say anything. He walked back to the sound of cheers/laughter/applause from his group.
    • I was sat between two guys (boy-girl seating plan) in my form class. I had a rolled up poster in front of me (some project or other). One of the guys picked it up, banged it on my head. I tried to get it off him, so he threw it to the guy on my other side, who then banged it on my head. (This is making me laugh as I write.) They started a game: guy#1 bangs it on my head, throws it to guy#2, guy#2 bangs it on my head, throws it back to guy#1 and so on. Took some time for the form tutor to tell them to stop. Once again, I was the laughing stock of my class.
    • I'm literally a 28AA. Don't think I need to say any more.

It's hard to read all that and NOT think I'm 'ugly', right? Would you believe that, when I came to University, I was considered one of the most beautiful girls on my course?

I get a lot of compliments at University. I try very hard to believe them. Gradually, I'm starting to see myself as beautiful again. But now and then, I can't help it -- I feel ugly to the point of feeling like a man on the outside.

I'm mailing pictures to those who want to see the girl behind the story for themselves.
    I'm sure you're beautiful don't believe anyone that says otherwise!

ReputationRep:
    Jeeze this thread makes you think how many cruel people are out there!

ReputationRep:
    I had a fair bit of acne in yr10/11 (not much after) and just my friends would give me some comments, banter and that, but I never took offence, as I new I had it, couldn't do much about it and I give them grief back

ReputationRep:
    I fell down the stairs when I was young breaking all my teeth, from then on I was called all sorts of names, can't even smile to this day because of it. My teeth look good now but that stuff follows you about. Plus I have a pretty big nose which everyone thinks I have no knowledge of so it's pointed out every 20 minutes. Since I got a large scar across my face people say I look kinda un attractive, but whatever, looks are only skin deep :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skadden)
    At secondary school, being the "smartest" meant being scorned. On top of being the "swot", I was also considered "ugly". I had never been conscious of my appearance before. I thought I was perfect and beautiful, and felt this was true of all girls in their own ways.

• For five years, my head was pelted with bits of rubber (it was a game for the guys -- hitting my head meant scoring).
    • On a non-uniform day, I made an effort to look good. Perhaps I didn't have a 'great' sense of fashion back then, so it meant coming to school in tight yellowy skinny jeans and a cream coloured top. I remember how one of the guys from the 'good-looking/hot' group saw me and said 'now SHE is a COMPLETE babe' sarcastically, to which the other guys responded with a drawn-out 'ERRRRRRRRRRRR'. This was in earshot of the whole class. The part that hurt the most was I hadn't detected the sarcasm initially and for five seconds I'd felt great...shame on me.
    • This guy became less of a bully later on, or maybe he was just in a better mood on another day when he looked at me and said "you ARE kind of pretty". I was smiling all day after that, ridiculous thought it may sound now.
    • At one point, the group of "good-looking/hot" guys and girls would follow me around the school, saying stuff like "do you have a willy?" or "she has a willy".
    • I was walking down the corridor. A girl from a group of ~15 people from my year group said "hi" to me. I responded: "hello". The whole group laughed and jeered at me as I left the corridor.
    • A guy came up to me in ICT class (he was sat in a group of ten or so guys and had gotten dared to come up) and started rubbing my back my his hand and saying "hey SEXY". I didn't say anything. He walked back to the sound of cheers/laughter/applause from his group.
    • I was sat between two guys (boy-girl seating plan) in my form class. I had a rolled up poster in front of me (some project or other). One of the guys picked it up, banged it on my head. I tried to get it off him, so he threw it to the guy on my other side, who then banged it on my head. (This is making me laugh as I write.) They started a game: guy#1 bangs it on my head, throws it to guy#2, guy#2 bangs it on my head, throws it back to guy#1 and so on. Took some time for the form tutor to tell them to stop. Once again, I was the laughing stock of my class.
    • I'm literally a 28AA. Don't think I need to say any more.

It's hard to read all that and NOT think I'm 'ugly', right? Would you believe that, when I came to University, I was considered one of the most beautiful girls on my course?

I get a lot of compliments at University. I try very hard to believe them. Gradually, I'm starting to see myself as beautiful again. But now and then, I can't help it -- I feel ugly to the point of feeling like a man on the outside.

I'm mailing pictures to those who want to see the girl behind the story for themselves.
    In school i used to hang about with the good looking guys (as u call them) but i was never a bully as i had a conscience and couldnt bring myself to make others feel bad as i would feel bad and rightfully so. Needless to say i couldnt make all the boys stop being dicks and they wantd to show off and i wasnt like the most popular so i couldnt have changed much. Its up to themselves at the end of the day to change n see they are bein nasty. I sympathise with you wholly as school and people can be cruel and its good that everything worked out in the end and im happy for you. Lets see the girl behind the story then.

ReputationRep:
    the women in my family are very curvy, which means that i got this wonderful gift from them. i got called fat pretty much the whole way through school because i wasn't stick thin and i had quite large boobs (i was a 34DD in year 11). it wouldn't have been so bad if i wasn't like 5ft tall, cause it makes me look quite "dumpy". i've had my fair share of name calling and stuff from both males and females. college was better than school, less people make fun of you openly which helps.

ReputationRep:
    Woo
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yeah quite a bit in the past, doesn't happen anymore though, not right in front of me that I've noticed anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah.

In y7-y9 I was called milkybar kid and albino because I had very light blonde hair, but it didn't really bother me as it was just hair colour lol and I still had girlfriends so.

But then y10-y11 I let my weight go a bit a lot, and once I liked this girl, and one of her friends said 'Yeah he's the guy who likes her' and her other friends started laughing, and not in a nice way. I also got hardly any female attention during this time.

Then between y11 and start of 6th form I lost the weight, and got female attention again and got myself another girlfriend.

What I think is, and funnily enough my girlfriend said it to me out the blue the other day kinda confirming my theory, whilst the stereotype might be that guys only care about looks whereas girls go for personality, in actuality girls are just as bad/worse than guys for caring about looks, and that a bad looking guy will find it very very hard to find a girlfriend, whereas a bad looking girl will probably have had her fair share of boyfriends and lost her virginity by the time she's 18.

One of my girl mates even admitted to me the other week that, despite the fact she sees herself as a 6 on a scale of 1-10, she'd only consider guys who she rates at 8 or above. When I said but you said you're only a 6 and you wouldn't get with someone who is a 6 or 7 even if he had a good personality, she said 'I just don't feel like I should have to settle. If an 8 is what I want, then why get with someone who I would always wish was better looking'. :s By contrast, I can't think of many 6 guys who would turn down a chance with a 6-7 girl because he wants to hold out for an 8. XD

ReputationRep:
    Yeh loads, I used to have a pretty savage overbite, took a lot of crap for that when I was younger and it was bad, but nothing like the abuse I've got since i LEFT school.

I still get crap from people for looking the way I do, wether it be the chavs shouting at me in the street, the kid who threw a rock at me for no reason or the shop assistants who follow me round because they think I'm going to steal something I've just given up caring now, I have enough problems already with out worrying what a load of brain-dead morons in the street think.

ReputationRep:
    I used to be a bit chubby as an early teen, not fat as such, but still I wasn‘t too happy. Got the fat thing a few times but I was really tall, and was never bullied. Most if these comments were jokes from friends, but they still hurt. I also have big ears, and I had short hair back then. Suprisingly only two people ever commented on them but I was always really insscure.

Anyway at about 15 I started exercising more and eating better, I also grew my hair to cover my ears. After a year I was slim, and right now at 19 I‘m fitter than I‘ve ever been, I‘m really fast and I‘m so glad I did something about it, it‘s helped my sfootball so much not to mention. my self esteem.

Sorry, I post from my phone a lot and typos are inevitable.

ReputationRep:
    I've been called out on:
    -hairy arms (which i now shave)
    -big nose
    -pale skin
    -round face
    -gap teeth (i've had braces so now my teeth are nice)
    -freckly/moley skin

But i'm learning to appreciate my 'faults' more and more every day because there is at least one person who loves you for who you are. Peace out :bl:

All my life i've been called ugly pretty much! It's taken all my self confidence, and I always believed and still do believe what people tell me. There are so many occasions, but i'll say a few

-One time when I was shopping with my friend (she's a bit different to me as in she's pretty and not as shy as me), and as we came to the bustop we sat down and a bus was approaching. All I heard was banging on the windows on the top deck, and about 5 boys, were banging on the window and shouting out, "OI YOU YOU'RE UGLY/ BUTTERS" (a london slang for really ugly). My friend thought it was her and pointed at herself in confusion and they shouted out "NO THAT GIRL NEXT TO YOU" and the bus went past. Made me feel like poo, cause I felt ugly next to my friend anyway! But after the bus went a middle aged man said to me "They have no idea what they're talking about, you're a very fine woman, don't listent to them" I guess that cheered me up

-My cousin came from France to stay with us, and she doesn't speak english, only knows a few words. Anyways, there was a park near our house, and I wasn;t really fond of it because people our age always hung around there, and I hate hanging around with people my age! Anyways we went to play because she insisted, and as we left, and boy on a bike came up to me, and said "um my friend said you two really ugly". I never felt so embarrassed, I just put my head down and kept walking home. What made it worse was that my cousin kept asking, what he said but i made something up.

-I put a picture on facebook, which I hate doing, because I start pointing out flaws! Anyways I got a decent amount of likes, and even a boy liked it! (that never happened, because I usually was too shy to speak to or add boys on facebook) and out of no where a boy i knew from school commented 'fat lips' and ive never felt worse about my lips! I have full lips and loads of people tell me i'm lucky, but ive grown to hate my lips

These experiences and many others have forced me to believe that I am truly ugly, despite the countless amount of people who tell me I'm not. I hate speaking to boys because i automatically think they are judging me or are trying to avoid me, its ruined my life :/ Before you call someone ugly, think!

ReputationRep:
    Once when I wore extensions, on a school day, my teacher left the classroom and it was really quiet.
    Then these 'oh we think we are fit-goodlooking-we-can-get-any-pretty-girl' boys started whispering about people in our class are kept laughing.
    And out of nowhere this guy, shouted out and pointed at me "yeah i know right, how can someone's hair look like a hat?". The whole class started laughing at me.
    I have never ever felt so so humiliated, and some girls on my table tried to comfort me telling me not to listen to him, I wanted to run to the toilets and cry, but I was too scared people would say things.

I just remembered this time in primary school when the teacher held up this dodgy portrait that looked like an ugly potato, and asked whose it was. Someone shouted out in front of the whole class that it looks like me.

I nearly started crying, I was so embarrassed :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Been told I have 'camel' eyelashes

I've been called fat/overweight - I suppose I could be seen as a bit chubby but I wouldn't have said much else. Also ugly, and someone once commented on my teeth - I have really high canines at the top so they look like fangs and I probably should have had braces.
    I'm not too fussed though. Opinions are opinions and I think I'm fine.

ReputationRep:
    Used to get called/abused regularly for being ginger in the first years of high school but now I just get abuse from passing cars such as "ginger sl*g", which doesn't bother me much anymore. It's not like I'm particularly ugly apart from a bit of a big nose, it's literally just because I'm ginger.
    I've also over heard some people talking about me once last year in school in the toilets and one of them said "she's really nice" and the other girl replied with "yeah but she's ginger" and they both laughed their heads off. That shook me up a but for a while but I think people have grown out of the whole ginger problem now that I'm 16... hopefully.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.