Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exams v__v)
    Can someone okease tell me. The horizontal force at X, is it clockwise or anticlockwise? Taking moment about B. Attachment 223757
    Clockwise

Posted from the TSR iPad app

ReputationRep:
    Can someone okease tell me. The horizontal force at X, is it clockwise or anticlockwise? Taking moment about B. Attachment 223757
    clockwise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JenniS)
    Can anyone help me with how you do question 5 january 2006, finding the centre of mass of a a triangle WITHOUT THE LAMINA
    This should help, kind of. Just look at the part were he does the triangle.
    http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-r...tutorial-1.php

ReputationRep:
    How did you figure that?

ReputationRep:
    clockwise

ReputationRep:
    Where it's from, you mean?
    And thanks!
    Yeah I said that, didn't I? :P

ReputationRep:
    How did you figure that?
    Looks like you need to understand moments... This is a different example but its similar. Basically x has 2 components. One of them acts in the same direction as the plane, which creates no turning effect but the one perpendicular to the plane is what you have to visualise...Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1370463473.086650.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  55.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    When a question (like 2a of June 2012) asks you to find the SPEED of particles after a collision, and you've worked out the velocity, how can you know if it is the speed or you need to convert?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    january 2013 paper was really easy - hopefully that does't mean tomorrows paper will be really hard

ReputationRep:
    for M2 what s.f should you use?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tuya)
    Looks like you need to understand moments... This is a different example but its similar. Basically x has 2 components. One of them acts in the same direction as the plane, which creates no turning effect but the one perpendicular to the plane is what you have to visualise...Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1370463473.086650.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  55.1 KB

We can't know by using a pen to visualise moments in my example, can we? ._.
    Thanks for your help!

ReputationRep:
    Oh right! That makes sense, haha. Okay how about this. The horizontal at X, is it clockwise or anticlockwise? Taking moment about B. Attachment 223745
    X is acting clockwise. There's quite a simple trick to figuring this out; if the rod were fixed at B and you applied a large force in the direction of X, would the rod go about B clockwise or would it go about anticlockwise? Quite obviously it would immediately go clockwise, so that's the direction the moment is acting in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JenniS)
    after panicking I realised what to do its that sum of mass thing
    Ok Good luck with that sum of the mass thing.

ReputationRep:
    So the question asks find, to the nearest degree the size of the angle AB makes with the horizontal

How do u know which one is the horizontal and which one is the vertical :s
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student8)
    january 2013 paper was really easy - hopefully that does't mean tomorrows paper will be really hard
    Also June 2012 was quite hard so it might just be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LShirley95)
    X is acting clockwise. There's quite a simple trick to figuring this out; if the rod were fixed at B and you applied a large force in the direction of X, would the rod go about B clockwise or would it go about anticlockwise? Quite obviously it would immediately go clockwise, so that's the direction the moment is acting in.
    Oh this is easy! Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Just get the feeling its going to be terribly difficult. Jan's paper was relatively simple. Anyhow, goodluck everyone, and please god 80 ums would be swell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CF25)
    Also June 2012 was quite hard so it might just be
    i know june 2012 was ridiculously hard, i really hope thats not the case for tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys reckon the M2 paper will be like? Hard like June 2012 and Jan 2010, or something a bit simpler?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1717)
    When a question (like 2a of June 2012) asks you to find the SPEED of particles after a collision, and you've worked out the velocity, how can you know if it is the speed or you need to convert?

Thanks!
    Anyone?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.