x Turn on thread page Beta

The European/World Football Thread III watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Strootman says he's staying at PSV. Gives them a fighting chance at least

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    hes messing up his career, hes gonna be 24 I dont see why he hasn't left yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    Van Ginkel is messing up his career. Strootman is finishing his education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    :lmao:

Not surprised really, he's on his last leg.
    Still the best finisher in the world. I thought Barca would manage to get £8m for him at least. He's 31 and could probably score 15+ goals for at least 3 more seasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Row Z)
    Still the best finisher in the world. I thought Barca would manage to get £8m for him at least. He's 31 and could probably score 15+ goals for at least 3 more seasons.
    Is this 2010?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Is this 2010?
    Finishers never lose their touch. Villa has an air of Fowler about him, he is supremely naturally talented at finishing. Falcao and Messi are close seconds.

ReputationRep:
    David Villa will be on like 4-5 times the salary that Holt is on.

I'd expect Villa to be on somewhere between 100k and 150k a week? He must have been one of the highest earners at Valencia and Barcelona paid a huge fee to sign him (which usually is followed by huge wages too).

While Barca might only be selling him for 5mil, they're probably saving another 5-8mil on wages and bonuses for next year (he's on a free after that).

ReputationRep:
    He did?! That's good news for PSV fans, without him their chances for the title would have diminished even more.

(Original post by yaboy)
    But what are his aims? He's already a regular member of the Dutch national squad, he hasn't even won the Eredivisie yet and he'll be playing in the Champions League this year. He has only been at PSV for 2 years, only 4 years ago he was playing in the Jupiler League (Dutch 2nd tier).

Van Ginkel is messing up his career. Strootman is finishing his education.
    Well said. If Van Ginkel doesn't come back on loan, he will end up like a LOT of Dutch players that go abroad to make a career, flop, attempt to come crawling back to Holland and then flop again. I could give MANY examples but some of the ones off the top of my head include: Roysten Drenthe, Ibrahim Afellay (has yet to crawl back), Babel, Van Aanholt and Bruma (both Chelsea).

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to continue talking to myself........

The Iraqi cinderella story is showing signs of continuing, currently 1-0 up (HT) against Uruguay, courtesy of a peach of a freekick by Ali Adnan.

Seriously, some European team need to take a chance on Ali Adnan and especially Human Tariq just to name a few from this squad. They've very technically sound and all have caps at senior level (but for Asian teams, this need to be taken with a pinch of salt).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aa22)
    Yeah, the Portugal match was disappointing. We turned it around brilliantly, but then lost it again so stupidly. I thought we could have gone further in the tournament, but the defending really was not good enough at all. Oh well.. I hope some of those youngsters can make it to the main national team some day..

Also, yeh, that's exactly what I thought when I saw the new Porto kit, they're both the same colour! I'm guessing that Porto will end up using the 3rd choice kit more often than not..

The fixtures are annoying. Every time we play Porto at (or near) the end of the season, it means bad things for us. It's a bit strange that we're going to the Dragao right at the end of the season again... potential title match, and SportTV will be showing it (seeing as how if it had been at Estadio da Luz, BenficaTV would have the rights)...

In terms of signings, Porto have done well. The fact that you're already looking forward to seeing the new players, despite having lost two big names, shows that Porto have probably bought well. I see Ghilas has gone to Porto as well, which is a great signing for Porto.. The one I'm really dreading is Bernard though. I hope that one doesn't happen, he was really good from what I saw in the Confederations Cup >_< If a third party is there to help out in the negotiations, then its quite possible he'll end up at Porto, and with that guy Porto will definitely be a ridiculous team next season.

In terms of Benfica, I'm starting to wonder how long left til Garay is sold. There hasn't been much talk of him moving, and with Ferguson retiring, I'd have thought Moyes had other transfer targets. We've bought Lisadro Lopez already though, so it should be happening soon...
    I don't even know what our third kit looks like. I do like the eagle on Benfica's kit though, a nice touch to it but i preferred last seasons away kit to this seasons one.

Yeah, what's this about the television rights? So are Benficas home matches no longer going to be on Sport TV? I don't like it being the very last game of the season. It will feel like an age for it to arrive and IF the Liga is already decided by then it'll lose a bit of the "buzz" about it. But if it's not decided by the end of the season then it'll be a real corker.

Well, i thought i wouldn't mind too much but it was horrible to see both of them holding up their Monaco tops a couple of days ago. But the arrival of Ghilas is another one that excites me! As for Bernard, i guess a lot will depend on tonight. With Atlético in their Copa Libertadores semi-final, currently losing 2-0 on agg, if they don't go through then i imagine there will be a bit more talk about him leaving. Apparently Bernard is partly owned by BMG and with Porto having connections with that bank is the reason why he is strongly linked to us. I don't want to believe all this Bernard talk though as i will be absolutely gutted if he ends up going elsewhere and because he'll be leaving Atlético too.

I see since you've said this that Silvio has now been loaned out to you. You've already signed a couple of CB and now i feel with the confirmation of signing Lisandro Lopez this will be the end of Garay for Benfica. Like you said, it should be happening soon.

ReputationRep:
    SO the iraq story ended today.

Look at for Humam Tariq in a club near you. Can't believe that the kid is only 17. He's played for the senior Iraq in world cup qualifier, I watched the match against Australia and he gave a very astute performance as well. Incredulous. I thought he was 20 but 17, wow. And not surprise to find out that he has long been highly courted by European teams, this tournament has ensured that that list is long now.

Ali Adnan as well.

United have a really good player in Varela, I think he's ready for first team action- and not one of those loan BS. Real first team action for United.

This has been a good tournament for fullbacks.

France vs Uruguay final. If France aren't too cocky and don't spend the next fews days worrying about their celebration tekkers, they should win and easily as well but, Uruguay aren't no fools and seem to find a way to win even if they play terrible.

ReputationRep:
    The Copa Libertadores match between Atlético Mineiro and Newell's was crazy last night. Newell's had a 2-0 aggregate advantage going into it but Atlético hadn't lost at home in 52 games. Atlético scored an early goal and with ten minutes left there was a power failure, caused by a cat getting to the electrics. In the 12 minutes added on because of this Atlético scored again to make it 2-0 so it headed into penalties. Some terrible penalties were taken but a save by Victor, Atlético's GK, meant they have reached the final and the first time since the 1970's they have a chance of winning a major trophy. And their home run continues. It was worth staying up for though. They will now face Olimpia in a two legged final with the first leg next week.

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone hear about the Play-off matches in Nigeria that ended 79-0 and 67-0,No match fixing there .Haha.
    http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/...151846311.html

ReputationRep:
    Bayern sign Thiago Alcantara for 20million euros. Wonder if there's a buyback clause.

He'll compete with Martinez, Gustavo, Schweinsteiger, Gotze, Muller and Kroos, for a place in the three man midfield.

Jesus christ, Pep has got some team on his hands.

How will they line up next year?

Neuer
    Lahm Dante Martinez Alaba
    Thiago Schweinsteiger
    Kroos
    Robben Gotze Ribery

Maybe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Row Z)
    Bayern sign Thiago Alcantara for 20million euros. Wonder if there's a buyback clause.

He'll compete with Martinez, Gustavo, Schweinsteiger, Gotze, Muller and Kroos, for a place in the three man midfield.

Jesus christ, Pep has got some team on his hands.

How will they line up next year?

Neuer
    Lahm Dante Martinez Alaba
    Thiago Schweinsteiger
    Kroos
    Robben Gotze Ribery

Maybe?
    It would be absolute madness to break up Schweinsteiger/Martinez after the season they've just had. And Muller is absolutely going to play, crucial to their style.

I reckon:

Schweini Martinez
    Kroos
    Muller Gotze Ribery/Thiago

Thiago is such a strange transfer though.

ReputationRep:
    It would be absolute madness to break up Schweinsteiger/Martinez after the season they've just had. And Muller is absolutely going to play, crucial to their style.

I reckon:

Schweini Martinez
    Kroos
    Muller Gotze Ribery/Thiago

Thiago is such a strange transfer though.
    Pep has apparently said somewhere that he's going to play Martinez at CB. Thiago would never play as a right forward for them anyway. I think we're going to see his Barcelona type midfield, as in

Schweinsteiger
    Kroos Thiago

And as for the front three, I got no clue how he's going to pick three from Gotze, Ribery, Muller, Robben and Manzukic, all 5 of them were probably amongst the top 10-15 attackers in Europe last year. No wonder Shaqiri wants out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Row Z)
    Pep has apparently said somewhere that he's going to play Martinez at CB. Thiago would never play as a right forward for them anyway. I think we're going to see his Barcelona type midfield, as in

Schweinsteiger
    Kroos Thiago

And as for the front three, I got no clue how he's going to pick three from Gotze, Ribery, Muller, Robben and Manzukic, all 5 of them were probably amongst the top 10-15 attackers in Europe last year. No wonder Shaqiri wants out.
    Meant that Kroos would shift over and Thiago would play as no.10.

Robben is finished, was never going to fit in with Guardiola anyway.

Manzukic probably wouldnt work so well as part of a 4-3-3 anyway although his movement was crucial for Bayern this season. Saw him live at Arsenal and honestly, Ive never seen an attacker pull defenders around like he did so he will probably have a role.

Gotze as false 9 with Muller/Ribery either side is probably the most likely.

So many options :coma:

ReputationRep:
    And apparently Pep is interested in Ozil now? Is this guy crazy?

ReputationRep:
    Quintero officially signed for Porto yesterday. Only 50% of his rights for €5m but he now has a €40m buy-out clause to his name. It’ll be interesting to see which way his time at Porto will go. Hopefully just as successful as his fellow Colombians have been for us.

Quite a few decent goals this weekend too...

Iturbe for Porto in a friendly vs Marseille yesterday.

Rogerio Ceni – The 40 year old GK is still scoring his goals. His first of this season in what will be his last season in football.

Clarence Seedorf– His goalscoring record since going to Botafogo has become pretty impressive. Not a bad decision for him to move to Brazil. Decent goal tonight..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    And apparently Pep is interested in Ozil now? Is this guy crazy?
    LOL

Is he trying to nab a top player from every team?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: December 24, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.