Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Maggie Thatcher - The worst PM in UK's history and an economic failure Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexh42)
    How hot is Amanda Thatcher
    Very hot indeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YourDream)
    All I have to say is: the hell is now being privatized.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deepblue1972)
    Thatcher was a good PM. No doubt all the students on here (most of whom wouldn't even have been in nappies when Thatcher left office) would have preferred constant power cuts, rubbish piling up in the streets and 3 day working weeks for the rest of us had you been alive in the 70s. The Falklands is OURS to defend and Argentina wasn't even a country when we settled there. As for the miners, yes it's a shame when you lose your job but you have to pick yourself up and find another one. Most people lose their job at some point in their lives (myself included), but we don't spend the next 30 years whingeing about it. The poll tax was a mistake, but I can't find much in her record as PM to disagree with. I presume that as thousands of silly lefties are celebrating an old lady's death, millions ofyou will be rejoicing when Blair is gone (and apart from Brown, he really was the worst PM ever).
    The dominant ideology of serfdom. The miners left lost their job because of the sheer want for the maximization of profits, so yes it is a shame but you should not accept it.

ReputationRep:
    More or less what I would have imagined her to be like [maybe not as large].

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    No. You claimed the Belgrano was sunk whilst retreating, It wasn't. It was redeploying for an attack the next day.

You then claimed that Argentinians are men of honour. I highlighted two that were actually involved in mass murder in their own country.

You're response should've been along the lines of. 'I didn't know that. Thank you for telling me.'

Instead you claimed biased propoganda and then decided to start slinging the mud at other politicians.
    Read the thread - it's solely based on one's own perception of the truth and the concept of truth, reality and accuracy is a totally subjective matter here.

ReputationRep:
    "War criminal"

This is where I stopped taking you seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Clearly not or do you think you know more about the Falklands war and the Belgrano than the man who was captain of the ship and the head of the Argentine navy, both of whom admit that the sinking was justified and the Belgrano was to be a part of a pincer attack on the British task force.
    Daily Mail propaganda.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackf1337)
    "War criminal"

This is where I stopped taking you seriously.
    Except she clearly was.

ReputationRep:
    Thatcher wasn't radical enough. We should privatize police, army etc so they're less costly and efficient whenever we really need them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l'ancien régime)
    More or less what I would have imagined her to be like [maybe not as large].
    Large? She isn't fat (if thats what you mean?) She has a great body.

ReputationRep:
    She really reminds me of someone but I cannot figure out who! It's perhaps someone I knew personally, maybe someone from my dreams but apparently we cannot make faces up, or someone famous that is commonly known.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karla_Steinbach)
    Except she clearly was.
    For what? Saving our own territory? I don't remember us going into the oil rich east under her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    Probably in the UK. Since you know, she was a British Prime Minister. I've never met anyone who can even name a Swedish Prime Minister, so irrelevant your country actually is on the global stage.
    It's maybe because we don't bully the weaker and do not exploit our workers but provide them with wealth that they actually create.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WalkingTolerance)
    Thatcherism produced:

1) Shifting of the means of production to the developing countries for cheap, exploiting labour power

2) Record levels of unemployment reaching higher than what can be witnessed in the present-day ordoliberal Poland

3) Making the British economy entirely dependent on the finance sector, more so than Switzerland

4) Creating the gigantic monopolies and oligarchs alongside, such as the Six main banks, Six main energy companies so that we could compete with perestroikan Russia

5) Destroying the leftover of respect, dignity and influence for the organized labour which has been remarked by the greatest faculties of mind as essential for the commodity producing society, i.e. Adam Smith

6) As far as practicing fierce capitalism, Baroness was willing to give in to American companies in Westland Affair

7) Marketization of education which, as opposed to 'parentocracy' created the A-C economy with millions being permanently written off and the wealthy having a substantial socio-economic advantage in education ever since

8) Devastated the concept of social mobility and meritocracy with repealing of the measures despite the Black Report of 1980

9) Despite being the outspoken Eurosceptic, Baroness in fact passed more power and always complied with the Brussels policy

10) Failed at Hong Kong

11) Falklands War Criminal

12) Poll tax was the final blow to any concept of fiscal justice

13) Led to the record levels of crime

14) Destroyed the socialized NHS with market influence of private companies, making the private sector medical services superior to public

15) Portrayed the Celtic nations as inferior, especially in the case of Northern Ireland struggle or Wales

16) Britain's childhood-poverty rate in 1997 was the highest in Europe

17) During her government Britain's Gini coefficient reflected this growing difference, going from 0.25 in 1979 to 0.34 in 1990.

18) Shifting back the Victorian societal values undermining ethnic minorities, different sexual orientations, different family units and any 'deviance from mainstream'

19) Re-enchantment of the world with her Methodist beliefs and damaging the process of secularization

20) Inflicted a severe damage upon the pensioners and the safety net system desired for them despite the most loyal contribution to the British economy and wealth creation throughout their best years of their lives

21) Last but not least, Baroness alienated the Britons from their communities. Philosophically speaking: separation of the subject from the object was at its zenith. Record levels of suicide, mental illness, depression and millions of lives betrayed from childhood, parenthood and senility.
    The biggest problem there is that by the year 1990 she didn't invest in the emerging private sector Blizzard Industry which could be nationalized and be very profitable making the British population champion the cause of Alliance or Horde.

The UK would be a better place now. There would be no insignificant class and race divisions, except those in WoW characters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thriftworks)
    Stop trolling.
    (Original post by Morgsie)
    The Labour benches were half empty
    (Original post by luca-cunn)
    The flaws of the electoral system are completely relevant.

Fine, lets look at the elections shall we?

1983:

In 1982 opinion polls showed that Thatcher was one of the most unpopular prime ministers in British history, a manufactured war in the falklands helps Thatcher, again looking at the history of war-time pm's this is not surprising. Thanks to that and a typical right wing press campaign she is re-elected again in 1983 with what percentage of the vote? YOU GUESSED IT, a whopping 42.4%

1987:

Britain comes out of a traumatic recession, and a boom in north sea oil hand Thatcher her final life line. The conservatives are returned to power with a reduced majority of 102 seats having captured.............drum roll please!

42.2% of the vote.

Couldn't put in any simpler.
    (Original post by ed-)
    As usual the verbal-minority-left is making use of numerous threads because they're clearly not making enough of an impact in one or two...

Nice list you copy and pasted by the way. Elaborate the points and I might consider rebutting them...
    (Original post by Morgsie)
    CORRECTION: She started private companies operating in the NHS under the NHS and Community Care Act 1990 which introduced the internal market into the NHS.

Deregulation of Buses under the 1985 Transport Act. She privatised BR ferries, hotels etc.

EDIT: And British Airways was privatised in 1986 and floated in early 1987
    (Original post by SpiggyTopes)
    Somebody clearly hasn't heard of Gordon Brown!

Our elders who experienced her first hand clearly disagree with you... http://www.itv.com/news/update/2013-...han-churchill/
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    Come on, it's an accepted fact that FPTP entrenches a two-party system. Why is this bad? Well, it's not to begin with, but eventually a consensus develops, as it did in 1947 (Conservatives conceded the welfare state) and somewhat belatedly in 1995 (Labour's removal of Clause IV).

That sounds lovely but it means it takes a lot of strain for the consensus to break. This means when a reformist like Maggie comes to power, all the changes happen suddenly and people who set up their careers according to the old model fall through the cracks en masse.

I feel a plural environment lends itself to people voting for what they actually want, rather than what they don't want. Surely that is more representative. And because it is more proportional to the voting share it means voters' concerns are more likely to at least get airtime in Parliament.
    (Original post by Will Lucky)
    This list is ridiculous starting at 1.
    (Original post by David Adler)
    3, 4, 16 and 17 are the most important points in my opinion.

Did you really expect the OP to write you an essay on each of her points? You wouldn't read it you bloody ignorants.
    Horrible bunch of wets. Thatcher was not radical enough and yet you're complaining.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heyhey111)
    I may disagree with her policies, but I totally think its inhumane to celebrate someone's death.
    You're weak, weak, weak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    Not a fan?
    No! She destroyed my entire world!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hostile*****)
    It's maybe because we don't bully the weaker and do not exploit our workers but provide them with wealth that they actually create.
    I like how that rhetoric has absolutely nothing to do with what I said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karla_Steinbach)
    Except she clearly was.
    Except she clearly wasn't. Only silly Argentine cry babies and pretentious British lefties with a chip on their shoulder who don't actually understand the rules of war think so. Pray do tell what war crime did she commit then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    Except she clearly wasn't. Only silly Argentine cry babies and pretentious British lefties with a chip on their shoulder who don't actually understand the rules of war think so. Pray do tell what war crime did she commit then?
    Not about Argentine - I'm not Argentinian.

I think she was a frontier advocate of what is the most heinous socio-economic unjust system.

Of course she wasn't criminal, nor should be considered a criminal, De Jure.

De facto, she was a frontline advocate of terrible life architecture for me included.

Whatever intentions she had is of lesser importance now.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.