Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redsaw)
    I've been researching all day after sitting my UKCAT, and have finally narrowed down my list of universities to apply to to 5. I can't apply to a lot of them since I am already in my first year in a Bachelor degree at a university.
    I would be applying as an international student as I'm from New Zealand.

The list is: Newcastle, Glasgow, King's College London, Exeter, St Andrews.
    I got a UKCAT average of 800+ and got A*A*A*A in 2012 CIE A-Levels and 7A* and 1C in IGCSE (We don't really take that many IGCSE papers compared to the 10-12 GCSE papers I heard UK people take)
    The thing is, I resat some AS papers and resat A-Level Maths after getting an A in 2011. I'm pretty sure this doesn't matter though since when I applied to University of Edinburgh last year, they ranked me in the top third academics-wise. However, they ranked me in the bottom third extra-curricular wise. Does anybody know which university I should exclude as a result of having not that great extra-curricular? Although I hope I improved my PS from last year.

By the way, I have read the relevant wiki articles, but it's slightly unclear on this specific area from what I understand.

Thanks a lot for any help you guys can give. This website has been really helpful, for last year and this year as well. (Moved this from the sticky, as this is more relevant here)
    congrats on your score, could you please pm me what your strategies were and how it went.

tahnkxx

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, was wondering if someone could help me? Got my UKCAT early September and im really nervous!! Any good sites to use? Plus is it still worth me applying, got ABBB in AS 4A*s 6As at GCSE. Which unis don't use GCSE results heavily when deciding who gets interviews? Anyone who could help me would be much appreciated!! Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JessLouise_09)
    Hi all, was wondering if someone could help me? Got my UKCAT early September and im really nervous!! Any good sites to use? Plus is it still worth me applying, got ABBB in AS 4A*s 6As at GCSE. Which unis don't use GCSE results heavily when deciding who gets interviews? Anyone who could help me would be much appreciated!! Thanks x
    I would avoid applying to Birmingham, Queens Belfast, Cardiff, Manchester... but go for Sheffield, Edinburgh, HullYork, Newcastle, Durham, St Andrews

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys,
    I am taking a gap year and my A2 results were Chemistry- A, Maths- A, Further Maths-A
    and Biology- B. The B in biology is really my problem. I dont know if i should resit Biology during my gap year. Anyone know any universities which will accept my grades? I am aware that most unis want A grades in both biology abd chemistry. Please help!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joannywhite)
    Hello guys,
    I am taking a gap year and my A2 results were Chemistry- A, Maths- A, Further Maths-A
    and Biology- B. The B in biology is really my problem. I dont know if i should resit Biology during my gap year. Anyone know any universities which will accept my grades? I am aware that most unis want A grades in both biology abd chemistry. Please help!!!!!!
    some unis dont require AAA in bio and chem usual chem and one of of maths bio or physics. You also might not really some med schools only count one of maths and further maths in their AAA requirements.. you need to research where does to see where you can apply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redsaw)
    I've been researching all day after sitting my UKCAT, and have finally narrowed down my list of universities to apply to to 5. I can't apply to a lot of them since I am already in my first year in a Bachelor degree at a university.
    I would be applying as an international student as I'm from New Zealand.

The list is: Newcastle, Glasgow, King's College London, Exeter, St Andrews.
    I got a UKCAT average of 800+ and got A*A*A*A in 2012 CIE A-Levels and 7A* and 1C in IGCSE (We don't really take that many IGCSE papers compared to the 10-12 GCSE papers I heard UK people take)
    The thing is, I resat some AS papers and resat A-Level Maths after getting an A in 2011. I'm pretty sure this doesn't matter though since when I applied to University of Edinburgh last year, they ranked me in the top third academics-wise. However, they ranked me in the bottom third extra-curricular wise. Does anybody know which university I should exclude as a result of having not that great extra-curricular? Although I hope I improved my PS from last year.

By the way, I have read the relevant wiki articles, but it's slightly unclear on this specific area from what I understand.

Thanks a lot for any help you guys can give. This website has been really helpful, for last year and this year as well. (Moved this from the sticky, as this is more relevant here)
    I just want to check - should KCL be on your list? “Applicants with incomplete qualifications (e.g. withdrawing from a programme of study) cannot be considered for Medicine. You will need to complete your current degree before you can apply to study Medicine.” But I'm not sure if they'd apply that rule to an international, or what evidence they'd want.
    The wiki article I found that in is... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...fferent_Course

Regarding EC's, there are none on your list where it is vital, AFAIK.

Congrats on your UKCAT score, btw, and your grades. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t()m)
    some unis dont require AAA in bio and chem usual chem and one of of maths bio or physics. You also might not really some med schools only count one of maths and further maths in their AAA requirements.. you need to research where does to see where you can apply
    ok then thank you

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys,
    You can work out where to apply by consulting this table... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...l_Requirements

If you resit biology outside the normal 2 years of Sixth Form and get an A, you can only use that A to apply to UEA, Exeter, Plymouth and Brighton/Sussex - the others will judge you on your B grade. Fortunately, an A in A2 Biology is not essential, particularly if you have an A in Maths (or Physics). But watch out for the handful of med schools that don't accept Further Maths. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pastaferian)
    You can work out where to apply by consulting this table... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...l_Requirements

If you resit biology outside the normal 2 years of Sixth Form and get an A, you can only use that A to apply to UEA, Exeter, Plymouth and Brighton/Sussex - the others will judge you on your B grade. Fortunately, an A in A2 Biology is not essential, particularly if you have an A in Maths (or Physics). But watch out for the handful of med schools that don't accept Further Maths. Good luck!
    Thank you very much for the reply

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for the reply
    No problem
    I forgot to mention that your Biology AS will allow you to apply to a lot of places (depending on your grade) given that you have AAA in other subjects. But you'll probably have figured that out from reading the wiki article.

And now I'm off to Reading Festival for some R&R

ReputationRep:
    I've spent a long time looking at universities etc over too many years, but now it's actually the right time to do this and apply it's so exciting! (and absolutely terrifying)

Anyway, I've narrowed it down from every medical school in the UK to:
    Leeds and Sheffield definite.
    Dundee probable.

With regards to my fourth option, I don't know what to put. I'm choosing between: Nottingham, Newcastle, Aberdeen and Edinburgh.

I want to avoid PBL as much as possible. Also, Newcastle is an amazing medical school and everyone who goes say they absolutely love it..and it relies heavily on the UKCAT pre interview, which is good as I ridiculously out-performed my expectations on the UKCAT. However, I am local to Newcastle and don't know if I can get around the "I know this city, this is 'home'. This is where I go to buy shoes and see a film, etc". I want to move away and have new experiences and see places and people. So it seems obvious to not apply to Newcastle, BUT it's amazing in every other way and is UKCAT reliant.

Another 'issue' is that I love Leeds and Sheffield from things I've read and open days, but they care more about personal statement than acadaemia and UKCAT. I don't think there's an issue with my PS (hopefully) but it's not definitive like academic records etc are. So..should I risk and apply to places I feel like I love hoping what I have is good enough, or apply places that are more academically dependent and so have a more measurable idea of what should happen?

Any thoughts/ideas/opinions on anything?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't sure which thread to put this in, Ive posted it in the AS results help thread as well...

Hiya, I am looking to apply medicine for 2014 entry, not sure what universities yet but 4 out of Cardiff, Newcastle, Nottingham, Birmingham, Southampton, Leicester and Bristol.

I achieved 4A's in my AS levels (Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics).

Firstly, is there any point in me keeping all four to A2? I did the worst in Biology but if I was to drop one it would be Physics because dropping Biology would limit my uni choices and I hate Physics! Will the unis that require A2 Biology specify an AAA offer including that Biology or could I still get in with AAAB A2 results with the B in Biology?

Secondly, the UMS needed for an A in Biology was 240 and I got 243, is it worth resitting my coursework or an exam to give me a higher UMS mark to carry forward to A2? I had a C in my coursework (41/60), as did most of the people in the college, we are guessing its due to bad teaching/ advice. I had a low A in my first exam and a high A in my second.

Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hiya! I sat my UKCAT 3 weeks ago and achieved 780 average. I thought the 600Q book was good but medify was my best resource because I wanted to do practise tests on the computer to get used to the format. UKCAThelp is a good website too and is free, but medify is much better and well worth the money. If you have any UKCAT questions feel free to pm me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pastaferian)
    I just want to check - should KCL be on your list? “Applicants with incomplete qualifications (e.g. withdrawing from a programme of study) cannot be considered for Medicine. You will need to complete your current degree before you can apply to study Medicine.” But I'm not sure if they'd apply that rule to an international, or what evidence they'd want.
    The wiki article I found that in is... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...fferent_Course

Regarding EC's, there are none on your list where it is vital, AFAIK.

Congrats on your UKCAT score, btw, and your grades. Good luck!
    Oh right... I didn't see it before because it was abbreviated to KCL. Thanks, guess I'm going to strike it off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibbyG)
    Wasn't sure which thread to put this in, Ive posted it in the AS results help thread as well...

Hiya, I am looking to apply medicine for 2014 entry, not sure what universities yet but 4 out of Cardiff, Newcastle, Nottingham, Birmingham, Southampton, Leicester and Bristol.

I achieved 4A's in my AS levels (Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics).

Firstly, is there any point in me keeping all four to A2? I did the worst in Biology but if I was to drop one it would be Physics because dropping Biology would limit my uni choices and I hate Physics! Will the unis that require A2 Biology specify an AAA offer including that Biology or could I still get in with AAAB A2 results with the B in Biology?

Secondly, the UMS needed for an A in Biology was 240 and I got 243, is it worth resitting my coursework or an exam to give me a higher UMS mark to carry forward to A2? I had a C in my coursework (41/60), as did most of the people in the college, we are guessing its due to bad teaching/ advice. I had a low A in my first exam and a high A in my second.

Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi I am in same situation .. GOT 4 A's in same subjects . in bio 247/300 .. In practical raw marks 38/40 but UMS 44/60 .. dont know how....
    think for you it is better to retake ISA..
    Personally I am taking all 4 as A2 .. it just makes you stand out really but you should concentrate more on bio, maths and chem,, dont like phy too..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juliam)
    I would avoid applying to Birmingham, Queens Belfast, Cardiff, Manchester... but go for Sheffield, Edinburgh, HullYork, Newcastle, Durham, St Andrews
    Thank you Been looking at keele, nottingham, southampton, leeds atm. Just going to call them all up when got UKCAT score

Thanks you your help x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibbyG)
    Hiya! I sat my UKCAT 3 weeks ago and achieved 780 average. I thought the 600Q book was good but medify was my best resource because I wanted to do practise tests on the computer to get used to the format. UKCAThelp is a good website too and is free, but medify is much better and well worth the money. If you have any UKCAT questions feel free to pm me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That is such a good score! Well done okay thanks for advice! Good luck with everything x

ReputationRep:
    That is such a good score! Well done okay thanks for advice! Good luck with everything x
    Thank you! You too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    When applying to Newcastle/Durham does it make a difference to your chances which campus you select or if you select either?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've been wanting to apply for medicine for a while now, but after my AS level results I've been doubting whether I can actually get in!

At GCSE I got 4 A*s and 6 As and just got ABBB in biology, chemistry, geography and maths at AS level. I was a bit annoyed but it wasn't that bad in my mind, until a teacher told me I wasn't good enough and should reconsider what I apply for at uni.

I still think I could be in with a chance, but I don't want to kid myself so what does everyone else think? :confused:

I did the UKCAT and got a total of 3030, average 757.5. I also volunteer in a care home and at school, work part time in retail and coach sports for younger years.

Any advice would be appreciated!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.