Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimpleTom)
    Could you outline the main things we talk about in an essay entitled

Assess the effects on UK microeconomic performance after a slowdown in growth of China
    Do the basic definitions i.e MACRO-perfomance and slowdown! I'm taking it this is a data question, so you need to extract the relevant data from the extra and use it. Nearly every time you do a data question, the answers are already in the extract, you just have to find them and evaluate them, but they will always give you pretty much all the basic analysis you need. Add abit of your own i.e. Growth in China is a long term opportunity for the UK to increase it's own macroeconomic performance, along with the other BRIC economics, Brazil, India, Russia and China, but if they are slowing down.. this reduces to export more, rebalance our economy towards this, increase our own productive potential etc. There is a great potential here to export our services in the future, but currently they are focussing around manufactured goods. Possibly bring in something here about rebalancing the economy, and whether switching towards more manufactured goods could help our employment rates and also boost exports to countries like China, or whether we should stick with our comparative advantage in services? Do we export a lot of our goods to China? What do we import? You mainly need to look at the data for these types of questions, to get these bits and bobs of data which you fit your analysis and evaluation around hope that helps a little!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Axion)
    Apparently they wrote this exam over a year ago. is this true?

(Original post by Homeboy Hotel)
    They always write the exams at least a year before.

Look at the source line on the data figures of Section A questions, the year/month is always a minimum year before when paper is set.

I'm doing January 10 paper now, and the data say they were 'accessed on 27th May 2008'
    But how do we get our hands on them ffs

This is the only economics unit that's been stressing me out

ReputationRep:
    what does everyone need in this unit? I hope fiscal/monetary comes up more than EU crap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingerandice)
    what does everyone need in this unit? I hope fiscal/monetary comes up more than EU crap
    Estimated 80 in unit 1
    75 in unit 2
    70 in unit 3

95 for an A

ReputationRep:
    im so screwed lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliyah1223)
    im so screwed lol
    pillars to evaluate - short term, long term, cost, lag time, efficicency

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kelbel1)
    Well, if it's using massive increases in AD through Government spending, it's probably not done in a very sustainable way, and in the end, the Government will need to reduce the defecit if there's doing massive spending through AD. Long run growth in supply side policies is much better, increasing the PPF etc. That's all I'd say
    Sorry for the questions but;

why is it not sustainable throw AD policies and why is AS policies better?

ReputationRep:
    Do the basic definitions i.e MACRO-perfomance and slowdown! I'm taking it this is a data question, so you need to extract the relevant data from the extra and use it. Nearly every time you do a data question, the answers are already in the extract, you just have to find them and evaluate them, but they will always give you pretty much all the basic analysis you need. Add abit of your own i.e. Growth in China is a long term opportunity for the UK to increase it's own macroeconomic performance, along with the other BRIC economics, Brazil, India, Russia and China, but if they are slowing down.. this reduces to export more, rebalance our economy towards this, increase our own productive potential etc. There is a great potential here to export our services in the future, but currently they are focussing around manufactured goods. Possibly bring in something here about rebalancing the economy, and whether switching towards more manufactured goods could help our employment rates and also boost exports to countries like China, or whether we should stick with our comparative advantage in services? Do we export a lot of our goods to China? What do we import? You mainly need to look at the data for these types of questions, to get these bits and bobs of data which you fit your analysis and evaluation around hope that helps a little!
    Sounds good, don't know why the neg - what about in terms of investment if we had to explain what - both inwards and outwards. I don't quite understand that topic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skilled)

Increasing AD = Keynesians would say increasing to a point where there is only going to be inflation (if you draw the AD increase on the diagram), can cause out of control increases due to the multiplier effect, we can't keep increasing AD over full capacity because this is an unsustainable point on the diagram. And I was talking about LRAS policies, shifting the LRAS to the right leads to non-inflationary growth, which is why it's more sustainable. Better because it's increasing the productive capacity, so we are producing more and more, so our outputs increasing (hopefully GDP).

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody write subheadings when answering essay questions? (Or do examiners not like that?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skilled)

the economy can become more prone to economic shocks that way. inflationary pressure ensues along with depleting non renewable resource. supply side policies aim to shift the lras to the right, this is much more sustainable growth as the economy does not expand beyond its natural capacity. AD policies tend to distort the macroeconomic equilibrium, leaving it more volatile.

ReputationRep:
    Increasing AD = Keynesians would say increasing to a point where there is only going to be inflation (if you draw the AD increase on the diagram), can cause out of control increases due to the multiplier effect, we can't keep increasing AD over full capacity because this is an unsustainable point on the diagram. And I was talking about LRAS policies, shifting the LRAS to the right leads to non-inflationary growth, which is why it's more sustainable. Better because it's increasing the productive capacity, so we are producing more and more, so our outputs increasing (hopefully GDP).
    Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimpleTom)
    Sounds good, don't know why the neg - what about in terms of investment if we had to explain what - both inwards and outwards. I don't quite understand that topic.
    You mean, if China's economy is slowing down, what will happen to both inward and outward investment? If you mean FDI, then I suppose it will reduce in both cases? It depends if China are still competitive or not, in their slowdown. The main point to take from the question you asked me about China, is that they're talking about a slowdown, not a recession, so their economy is still growing, just not as massively as it was or they hoped.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain Investment to me and how it effect Economic growth? Only thing I dont feel really confident on!

Also what would be the best graph to draw for tomorrow!?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    who else is looking forward to no more economics EVER? I

ReputationRep:
    investments can act in long term capital flows into the economy, such as portfolio or direct ( eg forgeign direct invesments) . it leads to infrastructure development which can benefit the economy by provision of jobs , and increasing the real national output, therefore real GDP rises. AD/LRAS Curves AS/ad for inflation, supply side. J curve when explaining how expenditure switching policies such as devaluation can affect the current account. lrpc and srfc for inverse relationship between inflation rate and unemployment as well as showing the natural rate of unemployment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolStoryBroo)
    Estimated 80 in unit 1
    75 in unit 2
    70 in unit 3

95 for an A
    Damnnn sounds tough! Any tips on how to get the A* you're aiming for?

I have
    79 in Unit 1
    82 in Unit 2
    Esitimating 85 in Unit 3
    70 in Unit 4 (retaking)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbanner)
    Can someone explain Investment to me and how it effect Economic growth? Only thing I dont feel really confident on!

Also what would be the best graph to draw for tomorrow!?

Thanks!
    see above

ReputationRep:
    Consequences of Greece leaving EU?

ReputationRep:
    why neg people? I thought this was a revision thread, not a ' you should have studied that already' thing?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.