Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

BREAKING: Reports of multiple explosions at Boston Marathon leaving dozens wounded. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perseveranze)
    Sure these "terrorists" may be Muslim
    I'm pleased that at least this is now being conceded. Up until now, it was like getting blood out of a stone to get people to admit that these people were actually Muslims, instead of claiming;

Islam is against violence. These people were violence. Therefore they are not Muslims.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Callumhamby)
    Muslims? Really Muslims? You are just unbelievably ignorant for writing that. I'm just going to assume that you mean Islamic extremists. Saying Muslims is a massive sweeping statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Exactly. In fact, I would further by saying that they are not "Islamic" extremists, but "extremists" in general- Islam condemns this violence and rules it Un-Islamic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Narutopolaris)
    Fine, I cant say that they are Non Muslim.
    Thank you. I'm very pleased you now concede that.

ReputationRep:
    I've never been so pissed off with twitter . All this terrible stuff is happening, meanwhile 'OMG Spencer' was trending. ****ing Made in Chelsea, I hate people my age

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Savvy Sage)
    My point is simple. Religion doesn't kill humans. Humans kill humans. Humans have the capacity to commit evil. Regardless of whether religion existed or not, humans would still be killing other humans. Therefore, religion is not responsible for all committed crimes. This begs the question, to what extent is religion responsible for any crime? Religion is clearly not the common denominator. The banality of evil is however the under lying factor. In effect, I am seeking to repudiate your generalization that religion is capable of committing murder because it isn't, it is merely a school of thought which like any other body of thought can be used to justify murder.
    Of course RELIGION cant kill someone. But people are inspired by religion all the time to kill and do it because of their religious beliefs and if you dont accept that and think that they would kill regardless then youre very naive indeed. I never said religion was capable of commiting murder, I am saying that people can easily justify killing in the name of their faith and do it all the time and do it because of these beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjf8)
    "Hypothesis proven: Libs responding to "kill them all" sarcasm neglect fact that their precious Islamists say the same about us EVERY DAY."

Weak attempt at backtracking followed by aggression against people who criticise him.
    Since when were "Islamists" precious to libs? Since when is a comment concerning genocide sarcastic? Pray tell.

It's fascinating that you compare Rush's comments to that of those made by Islamists. If Rush is being sarcastic, then surely Islamists are also being sarcastic? On the other hand, if the Islamists are condemnable for preaching mass murder, then surely Rush is also condemnable for committing the same crime. Your argument is inconsistent and probably clouded by a wholly blatant personal bias. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by March)
    Nobody's arguing that. As far as I'm concerned, the correct interpretation of Islam is the ramblings of a charlatan, but your mileage may vary. The only point being made here is that a Muslim doesn't cease to be a Muslim the moment they do something which wins the disapproval of most Muslims anymore than a German serial killer ceases to be German.

(Sorry Germans, needed an example)
    But a naTionality cant be compared to religion. Our nationality does not determine iur moral actions, nor our principles; Religion does and transcepdns natinality. Because our religion is based on the actions we do (unlike Nationality, which is nearly always fixed), we can lose and gain our religious aspects- in the case of terrorists, they lose their faith.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insignificant)
    I've never been so pissed off with twitter . All this terrible stuff is happening, meanwhile 'OMG Spencer' was trending. ****ing Made in Chelsea, I hate people my age
    Life goes on. If we dropped everything and talked about every murder that occurs we would never stop.

Do you complain that your friends havnt tweeted about, say, the seven palestinians dead today?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Narutopolaris)
    But a naTionality cant be compared to religion. Our nationality does not determine iur moral actions, nor our principles; Religion does and transcepdns natinality. Because our religion is based on the actions we do (unlike Nationality, which is nearly always fixed), we can lose and gain our religious aspects- in the case of terrorists, they lose their faith.
    Our nationality determines our cultural background and the laws we're raised to follow. When somebody commits a crime, they are committing an act which earns them the collective nation's disapproval.

They're actually very comparable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StormXibalba)
    Of course RELIGION cant kill someone. But people are inspired by religion all the time to kill and do it because of their religious beliefs and if you dont accept that and think that they would kill regardless then youre very naive indeed. I never said religion was capable of commiting murder, I am saying that people can easily justify killing in the name of their faith and do it all the time and do it because of these beliefs.
    A justification on a false premise, is no justification at all. Take Bush's justification that there were WMD's in Iraq- there werent (it was Iran) so it was a false premise that broke the abosolute, objective laws of just warfare as set out in the Geneva Convention. The extremists would justify it on some ignirant, contradictory interpretation, but that has no basis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insignificant)
    I know what you mean, takes a while for many our age to grow up, pointless bull**** like made in chelsea seems so irrelevant in comparison.

I guess it probably has already been posted, but just saw that that poor guy who got his legs blown off was running for the Sandy Hook victims, very sad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Savvy Sage)
    Since when were "Islamists" precious to libs? Since when is a comment concerning genocide sarcastic? Pray tell.
    Come on, I mean these people get offended over stick figure drawings (see blow)

“It was in this connection with this that the teacher drew a stick drawing of Jesus on the blackboard and afterwards started talking, among other things, about Muhammad,” says Thomas Koefod, the principal at Sogn Trade College.

A Muslim student who believed that that the teacher had drawn Muhammad felt offended. And despite the fact that the teacher and the offended student talked about the misunderstanding, others picked up on the incident.

“I heard about it on the school grounds. They said that a teacher had drawn the Prophet and at once I perceived it as a violation,” says student Rahma Ibrahim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by March)
    Our nationality determines our cultural background and the laws we're raised to follow. When somebody commits a crime, they are committing an act which earns them the collective nation's disapproval.

They're actually very comparable.
    Then why does a German feel the same sorrow, same disapproval towards the terrotists, as say, an Iraqi? Both have somehing in common; religion- either they share the same religion, or there countries lefal basis has a religious background (as nearly all states do).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StormXibalba)
    Apparently I'm the one being naive :rolleyes:

Please tell me which religion explicitly tells its followers to commit mass murder in a certain location, at a certain time with a specific explosives? A religion might preach "Wage war on your oppressors" but after that, the follower must decide who the oppressor is, what the oppressor is guilty of and how the oppressor should die - that is to say, the follower might be inspired to carry out some murderous duty but after that he/she makes an assessment on who should die. This suggests that there is intent to kill which is uninspired by religion.

ReputationRep:
    What most of you compassionate beings don't seem to realise is that an attack like this is actually a *good* day in countries like Iraq and Afghanistan and Somalia. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    BREAKING: The US are still incinerating women and children in drone strikes.

ReputationRep:
    If it's a faux-Islam group responsible, like Al Qaeda, most I'm thinking is "how did it take you morons so long to think about bombing somewhere other than a capital city*?"

*New York's capital of the world, STFU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AtlasCanTakeIt)
    BREAKING: The US are still incinerating women and children in drone strikes.
    Mate there's a time and a place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    What most of you compassionate beings don't seem to realise is that an attack like this is actually a *good* day in countries like Iraq and Afghanistan and Somalia. :rolleyes:
    Then why not start a thread of your own commemorating those terrible tragedies? Or do you only care when humans show compassion towards other humans?

There is nothing wrong with feeling sorry for the people of Boston, regardless if what happens elsewhere is admittedly more tragic.

ReputationRep:

Times Square earlier.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 22, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.