Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Our teacher predicted that its either immigration of ethnic minority political influence. I don't know what I would write for outcome of elections, we hardly even covered that. Would they actually ask for statistics on how ethnic minorities influenced elections or just how they influence politics?

ReputationRep:
    What stats would you guys use for the STV VS. FPTP essay. It's a horrible essay in comparison to AMS VS. FPTP.

I personally think these essays will come up for these sections:
    1D (UK Politics) - STV vs FPTP
    B5/6 (Health and Wealth) - Income on health or social inequalities
    C9 (USA) - Something to do with ethnic minorities
    C11 (Africa) - NGOs or UNOs on development

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JessicaLee123)
    So for social and economic progress questions. Do you have to include what the government has done to reduce social economic inequalites?
    2011 question: Assess the effectiveness of government policies to reduce social and economic inequalities in the USA.

You can get an essay just on policies.
    My advice would be to talk about
    Childcare development block grant
    Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
    Race to the Top programme
    College Affordability Act
    Obamacare
    Affirmative Action (currently being challenged in court Fisher v. uni of Texas

Then small policies
    Food stamps
    Medicaid
    Public housinf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fionaforsyth1)
    Our teacher predicted that its either immigration of ethnic minority political influence. I don't know what I would write for outcome of elections, we hardly even covered that. Would they actually ask for statistics on how ethnic minorities influenced elections or just how they influence politics?
    Yes. Knowledge of ethnic voter turnout and how many ethnic minorities voted democrat and republican is important as it is evidence that they had a big influence.

Size and Democrat influence
    ● Ethnics are 36% of the population, 26% of the voting population.
    ● 2012 : 93% Black, 71% Hispanic, 73% API voted Democrat.
    ● 2008 : 95% Black, 67% Hispanic, 62% API voted Democrat.
    ● Obama re-elected BUT Kerry lost to Bush with ethnic support.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UMARTIAN)
    2011 question: Assess the effectiveness of government policies to reduce social and economic inequalities in the USA.

You can get an essay just on policies.
    My advice would be to talk about
    Childcare development block grant
    Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
    Race to the Top programme
    College Affordability Act
    Obamacare
    Affirmative Action (currently being challenged in court Fisher v. uni of Texas

Then small policies
    Food stamps
    Medicaid
    Public housinf
    but if the question was just the extent of social and economic progress by ethnic minorities. You would still have to bring some of the government policies in? Damn. my teacher said just saying the progress was enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala4)
    Not quite, UMARTIAN below decribes the differences well. Oh and i forgot to add in that im doing social and eco inequalities in US. Only 4 days till the exam now... panicking quite a bit aha. How is your revision going? Are you going to bother revising voting behaviour for 1D and local government for 1A?
    i posted earlier what we got told to study - our teacher predicts atleast 3 right every year. if i'm honest my revision for this has been few and far between, got an A in the prelim and have been doing most studying for maths and biology while shunning this but the hard work begins today! i'll do ..

voting systems, learn enough about voting behavior i could wing it in
    emergency

lifestyle/poverty on health, government policies to reduce poverty, gender and race (since social and economic is pretty much the exact same essay)

american immigration, american dream, social and eco, influence on elections, who immigrants vote for

South africa; social/eco inequalities, BEE, inequality between/within racial groups

going to get all these plans written up and start rote learning then make sure i can do most of them in 22.5 minutes

ReputationRep:
    but if the question was just on social and economic progress by ethnic minorities. You would still have to bring some of the government policies in? Damn. my teacher said just saying the progress was enough.
    No your teacher is right! :P if you refer to my post several posts above I talk about the American Dream essay which is basically they exact same as the social economic progress BUT without political progress as it does not ask for that.

American Dream- Economic, education, political, health, housing.
    Socio/Economic- Economic, education, health and housing

PLEASE ask for help if you need it, this is a great form of revision for me!

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Knowledge of ethnic voter turnout and how many ethnic minorities voted democrat and republican is important as it is evidence that they had a big influence.

Size and Democrat influence
    ● Ethnics are 36% of the population, 26% of the voting population.
    ● 2012 : 93% Black, 71% Hispanic, 73% API voted Democrat.
    ● 2008 : 95% Black, 67% Hispanic, 62% API voted Democrat.
    ● Obama re-elected BUT Kerry lost to Bush with ethnic support.
    Thank you! This was really helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala4)
    Not quite, UMARTIAN below decribes the differences well. Oh and i forgot to add in that im doing social and eco inequalities in US. Only 4 days till the exam now... panicking quite a bit aha. How is your revision going? Are you going to bother revising voting behaviour for 1D and local government for 1A?

are you revising LA for 1A? i may take the chance of not revising for LA.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone going over this essay: Health and welfare provision should be the responsibility of government. Discuss.

How would I go about this. I know it's like collectivism vs individualism but dont know where to start

ReputationRep:
    Do you think its important to learn the alternative vote? Or should I just leave it? There's not much in my class notes for it...

ReputationRep:
    No your teacher is right! :P if you refer to my post several posts above I talk about the American Dream essay which is basically they exact same as the social economic progress BUT without political progress as it does not ask for that.

American Dream- Economic, education, political, health, housing.
    Socio/Economic- Economic, education, health and housing

PLEASE ask for help if you need it, this is a great form of revision for me!
    has anybody said your awesome? hahaha thanks alot btw

For the american dream essay i did put in Obama success and success of people that are ethnic minorities in different areas. Can you put that in Social and economic progress too?

Also i saw your predictions are you going to bother learning political progress? for america

ReputationRep:
    i wasnt taught AV at all! best bet would be on AMS and then either party list/STV

ReputationRep:
    has anybody said your awesome? hahaha thanks alot btw

For the american dream essay i did put in Obama success and success of people that are ethnic minorities in different areas. Can you put that in Social and economic progress too?

Also i saw your predictions are you going to bother learning political progress? for america
    Obama's success was more political I think, so I don't think so.
    However, the ethnics in different areas is a good point. Talk about the black middle class and ethnic minorities escaping stereotypical ghettos/barrios and living in better areas with better schools

ReputationRep:
    god dammit i'm stressing out.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone going over this essay: Health and welfare provision should be the responsibility of government. Discuss.

How would I go about this. I know it's like collectivism vs individualism but dont know where to start

ReputationRep:
    Obama's success was more political I think, so I don't think so.
    However, the ethnics in different areas is a good point. Talk about the black middle class and ethnic minorities escaping stereotypical ghettos/barrios and living in better areas with better schools

Okies thanks! I just need to think of how to put my statistics to flow a little better :P seems like im just jumping from one thing to another.

for america are you just revising immigration/ethnic minorities influence on elections and social economic inequalities/american dream?

ReputationRep:
    are you revising LA for 1A? i may take the chance of not revising for LA.
    I think i am going to know enouygh about it just in case, but not as much as the devolution etc

ReputationRep:
    Okies thanks! I just need to think of how to put my statistics to flow a little better :P seems like im just jumping from one thing to another.

for america are you just revising immigration/ethnic minorities influence on elections and social economic inequalities/american dream?
    Yep!

ReputationRep:
    i wasnt taught AV at all! best bet would be on AMS and then either party list/STV
    Yeah we went over it but not as much as other systems, hopefully it wont

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.