Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it just me or are the AS marks really harsh this year? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fas)
    you need to get requests for script photocopies in by this Friday ( 23rd august ) - the actual remark deadline is 20th September
    Hi, where did you find the information for requesting a script back and the deadline?

ReputationRep:
    I think the deadline (23rd) is for priority scripts, so if your uni place is dependant on it...
    http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/16440-a...ns-2012-13.pdf page 84

(Original post by imjustrach)
      Yes, thank you!

I was predicted AABB and I got CCCD and I literally have no idea how, I really wouldn't care if I hadn't tried but I worked my a--- off for those exams! So not only am I doomed to retake English, I also have to change Uni plans because I 'probably won't' get an A to get in anywhere.

:bricks::mob::rant:
      Are you sure you worked that hard?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by carpe diem 123)
      The marking for F322 is shocking. I was convinced I'd only lost one mark, and subsequently sat the actual paper a few days later which was marked by my chem teacher and she reckoned it would be around 97/100, yet I get my results and it's 123/150!

Definitely get your script photocopied and sent back and then get a remark. OCR chem is known for shoddy marking - it's such a long exam paper half the examiners loose the will to live and just fob people off with badly graded questions.

Good luck!
      F322 is absolutely the hardest paper to write for. It contains 100% of the syllabus and it's just so long. I got 133, so I can't complain, but doing the mocks for that paper was a nightmare.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by MeganRok)
      24 people in my 6th form have been kicked out today, and they are just normal students who actually worked really hard.
      How strict is your sixth form?? Is it seriously corruptly messed up? Or peaceful and there's no behaviour problems whatsoever?

My sixth form is terribly bad and they are more than happy to accept anyone who fails their year.

(Original post by S4LM4N)
        Absolutely, I just scraped 2 Bs and 1 C. The A I got was a good one though. But I expected higher :/ I worked SO hard this year
        Could've worked harder?

(Original post by SyedaK)
          [B]Guys, just found this on one of the threads (posted in 2012). Thank you soo much. This has motivated me a lot!
          Sure, it has motivated you a lot, but are you actually going to do the work necessary?

Doubt it, unless you can prove otherwise.
          • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by I like school)
          Woah that's so harsh kicking out anyone with a D! I swear if this was a country wide rule then half the country would be looking for a new sixth form. Does that apply even if they got like AAAD?

Posted from TSR Mobile
          I know right! And it's not even like the schools a top sixth form, it's just average so I don't even know what they're trying to do. If you got AAAD then they'll tell you to drop the subject you got a D in lol.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by im so academic)
          Sure, it has motivated you a lot, but are you actually going to do the work necessary?

Doubt it, unless you can prove otherwise.
          I'll mkae sure I tell you my A2 grades. I've already started revising everyday, setting several tasks to complete by the day. If that's not working hard, then I don't know what it.

Could've worked harder?
            I worked to the most of my capacity, dear.

ReputationRep:
            My results were rather surprising - As in the subjects (Classics and Computing) I thought I would get Bs or worse in, and Bs in the subjects I thought I would gets As in (English and History)! Certainly I think they have marked my History exam harshly, although the B for English may be somewhat fair.

(Original post by S4LM4N)
              I worked to the most of my capacity, dear.
              Most of your capacity?

You didn't, because you didn't get the grades you wanted.

(Original post by SyedaK)
              I'll mkae sure I tell you my A2 grades. I've already started revising everyday, setting several tasks to complete by the day. If that's not working hard, then I don't know what it.
              Let's see then shall we?

ReputationRep:
              Most of your capacity?

You didn't, because you didn't get the grades you wanted.

Let's see then shall we?
              We shall see in August 2014. Now I've got something to work towards!

(Original post by Deziah)
                This is the exact reason why I think Michael Gove made a very stupid decision scrapping January exams. It seems like he wants to filter out the lazy people from getting into university, and stopping resits for those who don't work hard enough in the first place.
                How is that a bad thing?

Yet, I can see so many students who genuinely worked incredibly hard over the year but have ended up with a result that they aren't happy with at all. Students are actually paying the ridiculous prices to get their script back and for remarks because they are generally at a loss at what happened. I can see so many students who are motivated to turn their results around, even though they worked incredibly hard and they are disheartened by their results, they're still determined to turn it around. I think we can all agree that learning all the content for an exam, revising it and then doing past papers can really take it out of you and having to resit just means you have to go through it all again - but thanks to Gove's wonderful plan, students now have to remember all the content to resit an exam, that they initially worked very hard for, a year later
                Could've worked harder!

Luckily I am very happy with my results, but a few of my module results made me realise how deceiving these exams can be. I started revision very early for F322 and worked harder for that exam that I did for any other - yet it was the result that shocked me seen as it was significantly lower than what I was expecting, despite the fact it was the exam I was the most confident with overall. It's natural to be disheartened, but I think a lot of us students eventually get over that and realise that to show our potential then we will have to work hard again and resit - but thanks to Gove's brilliant plan, we have to wait a whole year and add to the pressure in June. I really wish he could see the problems he is creating - he isn't filtering out lazy people, he is stopping motivated and determined students from fulfilling their potential. Making students do all the year's exams in on month doesn't test how intelligent they are, it just puts them under a lot of pressure and tests how many off days they have.

Sorry for the random Gove rant, needed to vent my anger.
                What's your solution then, missy?

ReputationRep:
                How is that a bad thing?

Could've worked harder!

What's your solution then, missy?
                Very harsh but very true @ line 2. I worked since September and got 4As because I gave it my all

Didn't get the 90+ average though, I can see Cambridge slipping away, what results did you get isa?

ReputationRep:
                (Original post by MeganRok)
                24 people in my 6th form have been kicked out today, and they are just normal students who actually worked really hard. I worked for months and months, and still only achieved BBBC, which isn't my best and it has altered my career plans greatly to the point where i'm about to give up.

Any else finding this year really tough? I honestly feel like i've failed myself, my family and even my school.

I thought they were pretty tough, especially Core 2 and Mechanics 1 exam! Though, I got CCCE and i've been kicking myself since (Want to study Chemistry at Nottingham/Southampton which are ABB or so)

You did well, and you're in a strong position for A2, you can retake a module or so to bump that C up, but normally A2 is where most of the grade changes are made (Or so i've been told)

People, you don't need straight A's in your first year to get good grades to apply to uni! Not every uni student got AAAA in their first year! Though, in my case, i'm likely to retake the first year of college, so i'm not an example :P

Though, Im So Academic; I got UUE in Jan, bumped up to CCCE in Summer, I massively underestimated AS. Whats your opinion on that?

ReputationRep:
                (Original post by 24hoursmiles)

Hi, where did you find the information for requesting a script back and the deadline?
                our school has a bunch of remark forms , and on the forms were the information for the various different EAR services available

so if you need any info , just ask and i can tell you

ReputationRep:
                wondering if I should remark one of my geography papers on edexcel.. Seems weird that unit 2 I got an A 80/80 ums but my unit 1 was only a C which left me with a B overall :confused:

ReputationRep:
                (Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple)
                AS level isn't GCSE guys, you have to redefine what you mean by 'working hard'. Studying hard 3 weeks before an exam doesn't cut it, unless you are exceptional.
                I studied hard 1 day before my M2 exam(3pm - 2am) and got 83/100. I also studied 2 days before my Physics final exam (10 hours a day) and got an A. And I'm hardly exceptional.

ReputationRep:
                Are you sure you worked that hard?
                Why not apply to Warwick Imso?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
              Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
              Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
            • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
              Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.