Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bad AS results to great A2/A-levels results - success stories? Watch

ReputationRep:
    A story of a friend

Achieved 1A* 5As 4Bs 2Cs @ GCSE
    2 Distinction & 1Pass at BTEC

Confused between studying chemical engineering and medicine, decided on medicine in year 12. Didnt work for GCSE or 1st year AS-Level got
    AS Level - CCCDE in maths chem gen studies fmaths physics

Choose to resit the year as he knew he could do a lot better, worked a lot harder than he did at GCSE and AS-Level year and picked up Biology
    to pursue medicine intentions. Didnt resit fmaths but choose to do one module of fmaths in the hope of doing the other 2 at A2.

Resat year AS-Level - ABBBBC in Maths Chem Physics Biology, Gen Studies, FMaths

Going into A2 now and will update his story in August 2015

ReputationRep:
    I got AUUU at AS and got ABB at A2

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got 3 U grades at AS in the most difficult subjects possible: Film studies, Music and Geography. Then amazingly, I ended up with 3 Es at A2. With these incredible grades I applied to Harvard medical school with a SAT score of 600.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacksmith_)
    I got AUUU at AS and got ABB at A2

Posted from TSR Mobile
    wow, did you retake this year, all in june?

ReputationRep:
    people who retook AS this year and also did their A2 exams...whatd you get at AS and what were your final grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperiorGenius)
    I got 3 U grades at AS in the most difficult subjects possible: Film studies, Music and Geography. Then amazingly, I ended up with 3 Es at A2. With these incredible grades I applied to Harvard medical school with a SAT score of 600.
    Whilst this is a joke... A really bloody awful joke, going from the bottom of U to an E would be a 40% difference which is the same as D to A*. Of course each mark is harder to get as you go up the grades, but still.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    Anyone want to join me in a " great AS to bad A level results failure stories" thread?

Manz got 95% average in AS maths, 90% in C3 in A2...and then a D and an E in m1 and C4 #PeakedEarly

ReputationRep:
    I got BCC at AS level due to almost no proper revision, then AAB at A2 (only a few marks from AAA).

ReputationRep:
    In AS maths I got:

75 c1
    76 c2
    54 s1

i re-took my as modules in a2 and ended up with these grades in maths
    85 c1
    93 c2
    70 s1
    97 c3
    87 c4
    32 d1 (didnt work all year)

point is, you can do better in a2

ReputationRep:
    I got ADE in AS but got ABC in A2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hibaj)
    wow, did you retake this year, all in june?
    No I pretty much started 6th form over from scratch, dropped the 3 U's, kept the A subject going and picked up 2 new subjects. I did 3 years of 6th form in total but it was worth it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nukethemaly)
    For any science students (especially Biology and chemistry) and Maths, it's very very easy to be hard-working and knowing your stuff, but still ending up on a C, what AS students don't realise is how big a jump A-levels are from GCSEs (especially in terms of marking). A-levels don't just require knowledge, they require tactics, you need to understand WHAT the question in your exam paper is asking and HOW you should answer it. So it's not about what you know, it's about WHERE you put it and HOW you present it! Exam technique is really important as well as knowing your specification inside out!

This is what I did to go from DDDE to A*A*AA:

• Keep yourself organised, don't set yourself the amount of hours you'd revise in an evening, instead set yourself targets (say to yourself "okay I'm going to finish making notes for this chapter today") and stick to them!
    • Make notes according to your exam board's specification. Honestly literally know your specification inside out. This is especially important for anyone doing OCR chemistry and Edexcel Biology.
    • For maths: I used examsolutions and I did textbook chapters a lot before starting on past papers to make me confident. After I did past papers I tallied which topics I kept losing marks on then I looked up questions in past papers specific to that topic and did them all!
    • For Edexcel Biology, the examiner reports are a BIG life-saver. They not only show you the answers previous candidates have written but also how many marks they achieved for it (these can be found on the official Edexcel website). Biology mark schemes are usually very basic, so examiner reports help you in perfecting your exam technique
    • For OCR chemistry: I did OCR (B) so this is what I used: http://www.rswebsites.co.uk/science/...pers/Index.htm, I literally did every past paper ever. With OCR chemistry you'll slowly start to understand that their papers are really repetitive but their mark schemes are REALLY specific. So it's a good idea to memorise the big 6 markers for which the mark scheme never changes. Also, if you can find yourself something similar to what that link has to offer then that would be helpful!
    • Obviously, give yourself a break every now and again, but don't keep delaying targets. You don't want work piling up.
    • Get your teachers to mark your past papers as much as possible.
    • Watch YouTube videos for anything you don't quite understand in Biology or chemistry (you'd be surprised at the amount of education crap on YouTube)
    • I cannot stress enough how important it is for you to make your own notes. I mean, it's good to find online notes, but reading through them didn't really help me a big deal.
    • Try CGP revision guide for Edexcel Biology, they really did help me, but NEVER rely on revision guides to cover everything (especially for OCR Chemistry). Make sure you look through the specification and tick off stuff that you know!

That's all I can think of right now, sorry it's a lot of reading but I hope it helps someone.
    How many units did you resit, I got ABDE I my AS-level and I am trying really hard to getmy grades up. By the way I ddon't know how to improve my exam teqniches, what do you thing I should do about that

ReputationRep:
    This thread helped me so much last summer when dealing with my bad AS grades, so here's my story

Last year I was predicted 4 A's at AS level, in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and History. But on results day only got BBCC, not good enough to apply to the course I wanted.
    Felt pretty gutted as you can imagine.
    Got two remarks, and both Biology and History went up. So I finished the year with ABBC. Slightly better. Please if you think there's any chance your mark could change GET A REMARK! The marking can be so erratic at times. I had four exams remarked and all four of the marks changed.

Managed to persuade my teachers to predict me AAA, and spent hours on my personal statement. I pretty much got lucky and received 5/5 offers for the course I wanted. Grades aren't everything to uni's! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I worked every hour of the day doing past papers, practice questions, every resource I could find. I started early and kept revising throughout the year. If there's one bit of advice I can give it is to do past papers for science subjects. Do them all! Then do the questions you found hard again!

So I ended up doing 4 retakes all in June, and had 11 exams in total.

Last week I found out I got A*A*A and got into UCL.

Anything is possible if you set your mind to it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jo7777)
    This thread helped me so much last summer when dealing with my bad AS grades, so here's my story

Last year I was predicted 4 A's at AS level, in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and History. But on results day only got BBCC, not good enough to apply to the course I wanted.
    Felt pretty gutted as you can imagine.
    Got two remarks, and both Biology and History went up. So I finished the year with ABBC. Slightly better. Please if you think there's any chance your mark could change GET A REMARK! The marking can be so erratic at times. I had four exams remarked and all four of the marks changed.

Managed to persuade my teachers to predict me AAA, and spent hours on my personal statement. I pretty much got lucky and received 5/5 offers for the course I wanted. Grades aren't everything to uni's! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I worked every hour of the day doing past papers, practice questions, every resource I could find. I started early and kept revising throughout the year. If there's one bit of advice I can give it is to do past papers for science subjects. Do them all! Then do the questions you found hard again!

So I ended up doing 4 retakes all in June, and had 11 exams in total.

Last week I found out I got A*A*A and got into UCL.

Anything is possible if you set your mind to it!
    That's my aspiration, your story right here. Well done on that I'm in a not too dissimilar situation. I'm worried I'll have to take a gap year when I do get the grades I want and need next year, in my AS retakes and A2s (A*A*A). I got ABDE this year. Worse then you, yes, but my sole aim now is to go for at least A*AA next year. May I ask, then, cos got into UCL in just ONE year after AS/you had no gap year (and my DREAM university is UCL, for Statistics, Economics & Finance; A*AA - AAA), what did you do? How'd you get in within the same 2 years everyone else does/you didn't reapply, even with those previous, bad grades? I've been thinking I'll have to take a gap year/be forced to reapply next year, but after reading this post of yours, I've got to enquire...

What, literally, did you just defy your teachers and put down your UCL course in your choices despite those grades? And say I did that (put UCL down), and I got rejected cos of my bad AS exam grades (obviously), but then come results day 2015 I seriously improved (meet and EXCEED requirements), will I STILL be rejected? Or, will they 're-give' me a place?

And, if I reapply for exactly the same course the year after, following a rejection despite ULTIMATELY getting the grades, would I be disadvantaged cos I already applied and failed to get into the same course, or would it be a clean slate?

Someone answer/comment back, PLEASE?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wisefire)
    That's my aspiration, your story right here. Well done on that
    Someone answer/comment back, PLEASE?
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    When I applied last year through UCAS the way I saw it was that I would apply to all the top universities with my poor grades, then if I didn't get any offers it wouldn't be the end of the world and I would just take a gap year then re-apply with my actual grades. So basically I aimed over high because universities know that people can improve massively in A2 year.
    I think it all depends on what your teachers will predict you. If you can get your teachers to predict you AAA then UCL may still give you an offer like they did for me. But your personal statement and teachers reference have to be PERFECT. My teachers believed in me thankfully! If you can also persuade your teachers to believe in you then it has quite a lot of weighting, just show them how badly you want this and how hard you are willing to work for it.
    I would say even if you are predicted only AAB you should still apply, because you have nothing to lose!
    However I think you are a tiny bit confused with the UCAS system. Once a university have rejected you they cannot change their mind once you have your A2 results. There's nothing stopping you from re-applying next year with the improved A2 grades though, and you wont be disadvantaged so don't worry!
    Just try not to stress too much about it and keep a clear head

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jo7777)
    When I applied last year through UCAS the way I saw it was that I would apply to all the top universities with my poor grades, then if I didn't get any offers it wouldn't be the end of the world and I would just take a gap year then re-apply with my actual grades. So basically I aimed over high because universities know that people can improve massively in A2 year.
    I think it all depends on what your teachers will predict you. If you can get your teachers to predict you AAA then UCL may still give you an offer like they did for me. But your personal statement and teachers reference have to be PERFECT. My teachers believed in me thankfully! If you can also persuade your teachers to believe in you then it has quite a lot of weighting, just show them how badly you want this and how hard you are willing to work for it.
    I would say even if you are predicted only AAB you should still apply, because you have nothing to lose!
    However I think you are a tiny bit confused with the UCAS system. Once a university have rejected you they cannot change their mind once you have your A2 results. There's nothing stopping you from re-applying next year with the improved A2 grades though, and you wont be disadvantaged so don't worry!
    Just try not to stress too much about it and keep a clear head
    No no, thanks for the clear up. Essentially, go far with the grades, and get A*A*A... Then university applications will be a lot freer and easier. Thanks, I'll try to do what you recommended then. Good luck at UCL.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Had BBBE at AS level and emerged as a beautiful butterfly with A*A*AB at A2

ReputationRep:
    These kind of threads inspired me last year so i'm gonna add some inspiration too :
    AS level-BBD
    Overall A level: A*AB.
    It was the D grade that turned into an a* too

ReputationRep:
    Well my story isn't so great as others - and neither are my final grades - but I'm happy with the outcome so why not share (*brag).

AS: CDDD (Business, Maths, Economics, German respectively).

Dropped German. Retook every single AS exam apart from German along with my A2's (in one exam session). 14 exams total.

A2: BBC (Maths, Economics, Business respectively).

Went through UCAS adjustment. Scraped my way into an ABB Economics course at Uni of Reading due to well written personal statement.

I suppose going from CDDD to studying Economics at Reading is a decent achievement.

ReputationRep:
    I got ACDE or 'ACED' at AS. Spent all of this year with teachers telling me I wasn't good enough and that I should aim low to avoid disappointment. Having got a low C in Economics and despite writing about 3 A grade essays a week my ***hole teacher finally agreed to predict me an A but said it was very unlikely I would get it (said it was 1/5). I worked hard and came out with AAC, whilst it wasn't AAB my first choice uni let me in anyway. The best part was i nailed 100 UMS in ***hole teachers module and got 3 marks off an A*. I can tell anyone who was in my position there is no sweeter feeling than looking into his eyes and knowing that you were the bigger man. It was the worst year of my life but I can honestly say that if you put the hours in it is absolutely worth it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.