Queens / Magee University of Ulster Nursing 2014 intake Watch

brunette1652
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by deviant182)
Yup This is the occupational health check. This is to see if you are immune to the likes of measles and rubella and to usually start you underway for your Hep B vaccination course (if you havent had it already)
Then to assess if you need any extra help with anything and to check your skin condition and sometimes if your back is okay in regards to manual handling (ie/ someone who may have been in car accidents or something)
Mine for work was a doddle. Obviously the uni one for nursing may be different but my hands were checked, my vaccination history (blood sample was taken) and then asked if i had any ongoing medical conditions etc.
Most people for uni i think are asked to attend for vaccines etc
Thanks deviant, i had to go through most of that for doing my voluntary work in the hospital anyways so it wont be too bad. i am finding it so so so hard to get information on accommodation for Magee, it is as if no one has lived down there before lol
Emily Kane
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can we start filling out an application form for the bursarys and has anybody who has firmed there unconditional offer at magee had any information from them yet ?
deviant182
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by brunette1652)
Thanks deviant, i had to go through most of that for doing my voluntary work in the hospital anyways so it wont be too bad. i am finding it so so so hard to get information on accommodation for Magee, it is as if no one has lived down there before lol
Lol! I dont know too much about that im afraid despite many trips up there! And many student nurses I've seen just commute? Best of luck with it though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
brunette1652
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emily Kane)
Can we start filling out an application form for the bursarys and has anybody who has firmed there unconditional offer at magee had any information from them yet ?
We don't get to fill them out until we start at uni in September
brunette1652
Rep:
?
I called student finance today, and the man I spoke to was so incredibly rude. He had me in tears, safe to say I won't be calling again
deviant182
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I called student finance today, and the man I spoke to was so incredibly rude. He had me in tears, safe to say I won't be calling again
omg what did he say? hope you got his name. id put in a complaint if i were you!!
brunette1652
Rep:
?
omg what did he say? hope you got his name. id put in a complaint if i were you!!
I did, he was the most horrible person i have ever spoken to in my life, I was so upset earlier lol. Calmed down though, hope i never have to call them again!!
tedbunny
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just wondering - I'm not planning on applying for a student loan. Do I still need to go through student finance for the bursary? Or is that part of the NHS funding that we apply for in September?
deviant182
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tedbunny)
Just wondering - I'm not planning on applying for a student loan. Do I still need to go through student finance for the bursary? Or is that part of the NHS funding that we apply for in September?
The bursary is done through dhssps so no need to go through student loans if you dont need to. If your not applying for any student loan you shouldnt need to have any dealings with them really. The dhssps send out the forms to us at the beginning of sept once our details have been forwarded onto them from the universities. I cant even find that much info on the dhssps website so im glad its being done through uni!
brunette1652
Rep:
?
Can anyone help with the finance side of things? i understand we cant apply for bursary until we start uni in Sept. What about the maintenance loan? do we only get to apply for it in september too?
deviant182
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can anyone help with the finance side of things? i understand we cant apply for bursary until we start uni in Sept. What about the maintenance loan? do we only get to apply for it in september too?
Ive applied for mine already. The sooner the better. Im not sure how it works for n.i students though? Best to give student finance n.i a call

Posted from TSR Mobile
brunette1652
Rep:
?
Ive applied for mine already. The sooner the better. Im not sure how it works for n.i students though? Best to give student finance n.i a call

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have called student finance and was told i could get a maintenance loan and then today i was called by the manager of student finance and she told me nursing student are not entitled to nothing and i would receive a letter in a few days saying my application has been cancelled!
deviant182
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeh i didnt think n.i students got the loan! Shocking really!
I guess beans on toast is your diet for the next 3 years!
Try and get some bank shifts and use that to then work around your placements and deadlines etc. As i dont know many employers other than agencies who may be so accommodating to having to always change a rota etc when you are on placement?
Its rubbish you dont get a loan though, although i know mine is reduced so i dont get a great deal either.
tedbunny
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have called student finance and was told i could get a maintenance loan and then today i was called by the manager of student finance and she told me nursing student are not entitled to nothing and i would receive a letter in a few days saying my application has been cancelled!
I have a friend who is doing Childrens Nursing in England and receives both a loan and a bursary. I was asking her about it and she told me the loan is significant reduced (to around £2,000) but it's definitely there.
I am wondering if she thinks you're applying for a tuition fee's loan? Those are done separately if I remember correctly...
I just looked up the studentfinanceni site and nurses were definitely entitled to a reduced maintenance loan, so unless it has literally changed in the past year something has gone wrong with your application.

I'm purposefully living at home, only getting the bursary and maintaining a flexible relief job for the next few years (it's similar to working bank but it's a social care job instead of a health care job). I've already got my first student loan to pay off so am doing everything I could to avoid another. I've also done a substantial bit of saving so fingers crossed I'll get by.
One thing I'm worried about is the distance of placements and the fact I do not drive - all other universities I went to explicitly said placements would be accessible by public transport, lets hope QUB thinks the same way...
deviant182
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tedbunny)
I have a friend who is doing Childrens Nursing in England and receives both a loan and a bursary. I was asking her about it and she told me the loan is significant reduced (to around £2,000) but it's definitely there.
I am wondering if she thinks you're applying for a tuition fee's loan? Those are done separately if I remember correctly...
I just looked up the studentfinanceni site and nurses were definitely entitled to a reduced maintenance loan, so unless it has literally changed in the past year something has gone wrong with your application.

I'm purposefully living at home, only getting the bursary and maintaining a flexible relief job for the next few years (it's similar to working bank but it's a social care job instead of a health care job). I've already got my first student loan to pay off so am doing everything I could to avoid another. I've also done a substantial bit of saving so fingers crossed I'll get by.
One thing I'm worried about is the distance of placements and the fact I do not drive - all other universities I went to explicitly said placements would be accessible by public transport, lets hope QUB thinks the same way...
Is that not because she is studying in England though?
As when ive spoken to students from n.i studying in n.i they havent got the loan?
As ive just looked at the calculator on sfni and it says to contact your local education board as you may not be eligible for a loan? This is all very confusing!
tedbunny
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is that not because she is studying in England though?
As when ive spoken to students from n.i studying in n.i they havent got the loan?
As ive just looked at the calculator on sfni and it says to contact your local education board as you may not be eligible for a loan? This is all very confusing!
I found this here which is from 2011/12, so as I said, unless it's changed in the past year or so.
The part about allied health professionals applies to us I think, and it's a reduced maintenance loan. So in the past few years nursing students in NI have indeed been eligible, but I know it can change year to year so it may have changed from 2013. I've a friend studying adult at QUB who started last year and will double check with him!

EDIT: Just seeing that they have a separate slide for applying for funding for the nursing course but it doesn't state that nurses aren't eligible for a maintenance loan.
tedbunny
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I CHECKED!
We're definitely NOT entitled to a maintenance loan. It's specific only to NI. So sorry
deviant182
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Has anyone had a missed call or a phone call from qub today?
Missed one and tried ringing back but ita just an answering machine?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
brunette1652
Rep:
?
Yes us nursing students in NI only receive a bursary and no further finance, disgrace really.
nathan18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Okay guys need answers to this question! And although I doubt it I'll ask it anyway, got a conditional offer from magee for mental health nursing, requiring 280 UCAS points including grades BB. However, I feel the most I will achieve in history now is a C, and to be frank I doubt I'll achieve a B in business studies either, probably a C! The A in applied ICT which I'm expecting is irrevant now.. So yeah do any of you think there's a chance of getting accepted if I achieve grades ACC? although it would fail to meet the conditions of the offer.. It would still meet the UCAS point total and I excelled one of the B grades that was required.. Really panicking and need answers and help to be honest.. I even emailed them and they said the offer must include at least BB but is there any way they would accept me otherwise do u reckon? I'd get 120 from the A, and 160 from the 2 CS, and even have another 30 from key skills 3 you get from doing applied ICT so I have total 310 if I achieve ACC,would this be enough? Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (221)
22.97%
The paper was reasonable (430)
44.7%
Not feeling great about that exam... (174)
18.09%
It was TERRIBLE (137)
14.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise