Law 2007 - Where are you applying? Watch

umarf786
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by mtbab)
ohh ure pred AAA well y didnt u say so lol. meh i gues so, but r u sure about applyin to those those v v competitive course. Can i ask, why surrey?
Basically.. I rung up most of the top ones and asked them for their offers, as well as , if they ask for a 4th AS and also, if Media Studies is accepted. At the same time, I used the 'Times Good University Guide 2007' which has Uni's ranked for each subject.

I worked my way down.. chose UCL over Leeds, both ask for AAA.. Manchester and Nottingham both said, NO to media studies. Aderdeen and Glassgow were both teaching Scottish law.. So I had then chosen Oxford, UCL, Durham and Queens Mary from the top 20...

I had decided earlier to select 3 AAA ones, 1 AAB one, one ABB one and maybe one points one.. And so it happened, that Uni 21st was Surrey, asking for 300-320 points, Hull was 26th, asking for ABB ..

So, Iv made sure iv left some room.. and after 30+.. it was all the mets and some really poor uni's like kingston and huddersfield.

So maybe Surrey is like a panic choice.. but I'll see how it goes. They accepted media and also asked for points, and 21st
guccilittlepiggy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by umarf786)
The problem is KCL asks for AABb .. and I've got AABc .. its that AS grade that is limiting me.

I've rung up Oxford.. and UCL and also Durham.. and all of them have said that firstly.. they loook at my GCSE's and A's and B's are a must. Then they look at my A2 Predicted. .. and Im predicted AAA, then Personal statement and the reference, LNAT and finally the AS grades. But they told me.. AAB was ok, and my reference will state that I was 4 marks off an A in law ...

I personally think its worth a go.. My P.S is going to be really good and I'm confident of recieving an offer from the Top 3..
its good that you're aiming high but if I were you I wouldn't go for 3 top places, perhaps just 1 or 2. A lot of people applying for law at ucl and oxford will have mostly A*s and As. you have average gcses for law tbh and your law a level is still low, considering you only need a low score to get an A you should be aiming for high ums marks. just taking into account your grades i don't think your chances are too good.

but thats just my opinion, good luck.
mtbab
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Basically.. I rung up most of the top ones and asked them for their offers, as well as , if they ask for a 4th AS and also, if Media Studies is accepted. At the same time, I used the 'Times Good University Guide 2007' which has Uni's ranked for each subject.

I worked my way down.. chose UCL over Leeds, both ask for AAA.. Manchester and Nottingham both said, NO to media studies. Aderdeen and Glassgow were both teaching Scottish law.. So I had then chosen Oxford, UCL, Durham and Queens Mary from the top 20...

I had decided earlier to select 3 AAA ones, 1 AAB one, one ABB one and maybe one points one.. And so it happened, that Uni 21st was Surrey, asking for 300-320 points, Hull was 26th, asking for ABB ..

So, Iv made sure iv left some room.. and after 30+.. it was all the mets and some really poor uni's like kingston and huddersfield.

So maybe Surrey is like a panic choice.. but I'll see how it goes. They accepted media and also asked for points, and 21st
have u been to any of them, or did u simply just go by out of the book?
umarf786
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by mtbab)
have u been to any of them, or did u simply just go by out of the book?
Iv been to Oxford, Durham and Hull .. I know where UCL is, I've just seen the building. Not been to Queen's Mary and Surrey.

Another thing maybe in my favour is my post-code. Im from Bradford, and I'm asian, from Pakistani origins. And whenever, I'v told people about my choices, they have said that I have a good chance, as Oxford are looking for ethnic minorities from the north.. just to fire-back at that presumption by many.

Im gonna try.. and if I can do it, fair do's, if not, hopefully its not the end of the world .
Purple
Badges: 15
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I personally dont see why you should be given an offer just because your asian, everyone should be treated equally regardless of race.
guccilittlepiggy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Iv been to Oxford, Durham and Hull .. I know where UCL is, I've just seen the building. Not been to Queen's Mary and Surrey.

Another thing maybe in my favour is my post-code. Im from Bradford, and I'm asian, from Pakistani origins. And whenever, I'v told people about my choices, they have said that I have a good chance, as Oxford are looking for ethnic minorities from the north.. just to fire-back at that presumption by many.

Im gonna try.. and if I can do it, fair do's, if not, hopefully its not the end of the world .
that will not go in your favour. and why should it?
umarf786
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by guccilittlepiggy)
that will not go in your favour. and why should it?
I never said it should.. but 'maybe' it will. I'm not bothered, being a muslim, I believe in equality and justice. Fairness is the key to a bright future. But, when I say 'maybe', I mean, that with the general trend in oxbridge that stretches back a long way, 1) its thought that the oxbridge is a rich man's world, white, middle-class, conservatives AND 2) many asian are therefore dettered from applying.

Now, off-course I want to be seen for my academic ability, rather than my race. BUT with not many people applying, who are from my back-ground, it might show the admission-tutors the light, show that there are some able asian candidates out there.
mtbab
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

really if oxford were out to fill ethnic/affluence quotas then i would be first in line to apply for oxford as i'm black and from birmingham B21 handsworth like the hihgest crime part of birmingham but look their not so i'm not applyin there, they go on academia.

I seriously think picking out of the book at who is top in each category is a mistake.

as gucci said ure gcse's i dont think will hold up against ox or durham, you may have stood a better chance had u got straight A's at AS, coz remember altho u are only putting ure predictions on ure ucas, on ure OAF you've got to put your actual results and somehow i dont think it will be well recieved that the boy who wants to do oxford law, got a B in law at AS.
guccilittlepiggy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i expect they get many, many applications from students who are disadvantaged in some way. but you can't expect them to lower their standards for one person otherwise they would have to allow everyone in with low grades.
umarf786
Report 12 years ago
ok.. thank you and goodbye!

and off-course good luck to all
mtbab
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
ok.. thank you and goodbye!

and off-course good luck to all
i didnt mean to offend you mate. i was saying just think realism. perhaps if u changed ox or durham for KCL or sumwhere it may be the better option.

The best place for you is not always the best place nearest the top of the table.
umarf786
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by mtbab)
i didnt mean to offend you mate. i was saying just think realism. perhaps if u changed ox or durham for KCL or sumwhere it may be the better option.

The best place for you is not always the best place nearest the top of the table.

mate mate mate.. no hard feelings! just gotta go and get some sleep. do not take it like that. thanks every so much to all of you for your thoughts ..

all views are appreciated.. guess we move on!
Purple
KCL is going to be just as competitive as Durham.
Purple
mate mate mate.. no hard feelings! just gotta go and get some sleep. do not take it like that. thanks every so much to all of you for your thoughts ..

Why dont you apply to Newcastle instead of Durham?
mtbab
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by kirstinx)
KCL is going to be just as competitive as Durham.
lol thank u miss helpful!! haha

and ok no probs!

(sings, move on up!!)
Purple
No problem :rolleyes:
mtbab
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
as if noone pasted here for like a week lol!
Purple
No one else is applying :p:

I am not changing UCL I have nothing to change it with.
mtbab
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
haha u blates jsut can't be bothered to find another place.
Purple
:rolleyes:

Well I have a reason not to apply to every other university in the UK, so I dont see the point of changing, I wont get an offer anyway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (257)
27%
No (695)
73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed