Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Secret Life of Students on Channel 4 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orange crush)
    Slightly confused why you would "hate" someone for wanting to go out partying in his first year. Besides he didn't actually drop out and I kinda think the whole thing was a bit of a camera-charade
    Lool exaggeration on my part. Obviously I didn't hate him for wanting to go out partying. I just didn't like how he came across from the start, saying he only cares about twitter followers, or people saying 'are you that guy from Facebook', so he came across like an idiot. Then I just found it hard to like him and thought it was naive to be surprised that people were actually studying and not going out every night

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orange crush)
    Yeah I have a couple of cops in the family and none of them even went to uni. I think they look for a wide range of applicants, both degree holders and high school dropouts. My cousin says to me that the only real advantage to having a degree is that you can join a program that guarantees you fast-tracked promotion.
    My course leads into policing. I think i chose it because it can but doesnt have to. And gives me one up on others in some aspects

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Growing up, a police officer is something I always aspired to be. Having a child changed that. Her father is in the military so it would be very hard for me to work shifts and she doesn't need two front line parents! I chose criminology as this fulfilled my interests but also gives me more career options!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lollyx9)
    Growing up, a police officer is something I always aspired to be. Having a child changed that. Her father is in the military so it would be very hard for me to work shifts and she doesn't need two front line parents! I chose criminology as this fulfilled my interests but also gives me more career options!
    Hey I'm Just wondering if you managed to get a good grade at the end of the year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cristimay)
    Yeah I agree ! I deffo liked hassan, he just seemed like one of the only normal people on there which was nice, but I'm not sure on Aiden.
    I couldn't bare him to start with, then I hated him some more because he was planning to drop out just cos no one was going out, but then when he was just with his flat mates (when he did that Oscar thing) he seemed alright

What did you think of brenda??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    meh, I didn't really like her she was pritty boring and was an idiot in the first place for overspending, admire her for working that much and changing a new leaf in the 2nd semester though

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody else find hassan really hot?

ReputationRep:
    Apparantly the TV show wasnt a good representive of uni students.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toonervoustotalk)
    Apparantly the TV show wasnt a good representive of uni students.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You can tell haha
    any chance of a link which gives this information?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saleem Aslam)
    You can tell haha
    any chance of a link which gives this information?
    http://www.theguardian.com/education...me-stereotypes

There
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Really really admire Tanya for managing her child and university! I quite liked Ben, he seemed to have a balance between uni/work, but I really don't understand how if he was so dedicated to being a doctor, he submitted his medicine applications so late. You'd think with that much desire you'd be a little more careful? What's with all the Hassan love, did everyone forget what he was like in the 3rd episode?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mojojojo)
    Really really admire Tanya for managing her child and university! I quite liked Ben, he seemed to have a balance between uni/work, but I really don't understand how if he was so dedicated to being a doctor, he submitted his medicine applications so late. You'd think with that much desire you'd be a little more careful? What's with all the Hassan love, did everyone forget what he was like in the 3rd episode?
    Nah I thought Hassan was irresponsible and disorganised without his family to look after him but I think he's still a pretty likeable guy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mm14)
    Nah I thought Hassan was irresponsible and disorganised without his family to look after him but I think he's still a pretty likeable guy
    Exactly

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just watched the last episode, recorded it on Sky. Btw, does anyone know Brenda's Twitter account? I'm intrigued. She seems like a funny person to follow.

Also, does anyone know where I can watch online the second (2013) series of the ITV2 show Freshers that was on last year? Really want to watch it but all I can find is series one (2010) which I've seen.

(Original post by _Morsey_)
    Brenda giving the finger to the government? Yes, it was them that made you spend all that money on clothes.
    Yeah that really annoyed me. She caused her own money issues, but then blames of all people the government...

Not to mention she, in the previous episode, then went and mooched off her Twitter boyfriend. That's probably the only reason why they're in a relationship now - because he gave her money.

I have nothing against her, but she shouldn't blame others for her issues.

(Original post by Jordanap)
    Omg does that mum have a photoframed snapchat :rofl:
    Yeah she did, I was like wtf :lol:

(Original post by Saleem Aslam)
    Bit of a meh finish tbh, would have been better if it was a longer series.
    Oh and for once no aiden !!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah would have liked to see more content. Happy there was no Aiden this episode, he was annoying.

ReputationRep:
    Hassan's little lecture on fruit I thought was quite amusing and I liked Ben too. He seemed to look out for everyone, and his last minute application reminds me of myself haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈)
    For anyone currently at university - Are these characters quite common, or is this just channel 4's take on student life?

I couldn't stand a messy kitchen or students with no motivation/maturity towards the whole purpose of being at university.. studying.
    Heya, I was at a London uni a few years ago and I lived in halls and I would say that the characters are pretty accurate, obvs everyone is not like this, but in first semester a lot of people go out drinking and miss lectures because of hang overs. Most people drink and go out because its their first chance at real freedom, but they were not all alcoholics. I don't drink much but i went out to clubs with people from halls and my course and still had a good time without drinking.

One thing that is very accurate is the MESS IN HALLS. No one cleans after themselves, so the cleaner started to just put our pots and pans and plates and cutlery in the bin in order to clean the kitchen LOL.

Most people don't take it seriously till exams, but then again it depends on the course and university(the attitude in some course and some higher rank universities are very different to other). I went to UCL so most people in my course and my others friends (medicine and biomedical sciences) were geeks lol, so they did work but did have fun too. But knew how to balance it.
    In fact the medics drunk the most, but I suppose it was stress relief.

Overall uni was a great experience. It was scary at first but as long as you make some effort to make friends and you keep on top of your work things will be fine. Oh and don't spend all your student loan in the first month.

ReputationRep:
    I've been enjoying it because I'm looking at going to university next year (2015). I'm looking to stay in halls and so I was hoping that the show would show some more mature students (I'm going to be 33 when I go next year). Obviously an older person sipping on their cocoa while studying doesn't make good TV lol. I will hopefully go out and bond with the younger students. I do have a fairly young outlook on life and I'm determined to enjoy my university experience. Overall the show is good in showing me what to expect. It shows the consequences of partying and pushing yourself too much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Was anyone else really pissed off about the fact that it was Ben's predicted grades that prevented him from getting into medicine courses? Something needs to be done about inaccuracy in predicted grades... it's making me nervous now as i'm going into A2 :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BesideThePoint)
    Was anyone else really pissed off about the fact that it was Ben's predicted grades that prevented him from getting into medicine courses? Something needs to be done about inaccuracy in predicted grades... it's making me nervous now as i'm going into A2 :/
    Same as i know 4 sure i did really bad in my AS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Really didn't like Brenda at all, especially her 'relationship' with Troy. All those cringey text messages to eachother and being on the phone for more than 3 hours a day?! No wonder she was missing lectures. I also found her really rude, for example, when she was shouting at her parents down the phone for not giving her any money, after she'd just gone and wasted £300 on clothes and shoes?
    Ben/Hassan/Josie/Michael/Helen/Tanya all seemed normal and likeable, nothing too bad to be honest, and obviously the cameras are going to show the most extreme/controversial parts of their chatacters to make an interesting show.
    Gemma was annoying, the obsession with her boyfriend -_-
    And as for Aiden, he just got on my nerves, doing everything for attention and wanting to drop out because the social life wasn't up to his standards.
    It's a shame it was only a four part series, would have liked to have seen more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was also stressed at one point as I was in college doing t access course, open Uni and two jobs and literally had one day a week of rest or the occasional 15 minute sit down break for dinner.
    I lost all my friends from school but getting access course, open Uni and two jobs was so worth it. At that point I didn't care it was me, I was happy, satisfied even if it did take my health down with it it was so worth it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.