Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody heard back from freshfields?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nonlawlawyer)
    Fair enough - I've had an interview with Shearman & Sterling, for their winter VS, and am yet to hear back - think it'll be next week though, as the VS is quickly approaching! Will also be applying to Sidley, Latham and have just sent off an application to Bird&Bird, so we'll see.

How about you?
    Received an e-mail changing the dates today! So I will be on 20 July - 31 July.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chianti1)
    Has anybody heard anything back from Clifford Chance regarding the non-law insight scheme?
    Just got invited to a video interview - but the deadline is tomorrow! Talk about last minute

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxblue)
    Do anyone else think that taylor wessing (international law firm) are harsh with their entry requirements?
    What requirements are you referring to specifically?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeyrs5)
    I got a vac scheme offer last week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Don't worry so much about that one then. Those are probably one of the few questions where less is more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have added a bit more to the achievements section but have kept the additional info fairly short as I feel I have covered it in my application. Thank you for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TykeDragon)
    yeah, on my macfarlanes app i did 250-350 words (500 allowed) for achievements and non academic interests, and 400-450 for why macfarlanes, why you etc
    Thank you, that reassures me! I have used the entire 250 word count for why the firm and the cover letter, it was just the achievements section I wasn't sure as normally the applications require 250 words and I felt 500 was quite a lot.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrainingChopeful)
    I have added a bit more to the achievements section but have kept the additional info fairly short as I feel I have covered it in my application. Thank you for your help!
    No worries

Just make sure there is no duplication of information or that the "extra info" isn't too trival or should be in another section. The reason for the additional info question is only in circumstances where a candidate hasn't really got the opportunity to place the information in another section where it has no relevance but is still important info to put on a form (these are usually things like Mitigating circumstances; explanation of grading systems if not the traditional UK grades; gaps in employment/educational history).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    If the majority or around half of your grades are 2.2s you may struggle. But at the same time you have shown improvement in your final year, so it isn't so much of an issue.

Do you think the rest of your form/CV is strong?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would say that my module results are the biggest flaw in my applications. I like to think that on my whole my application is strong. Apart from module grades my academic results to date are strong, as mentioned. I've undertaken a variety of commercial law events at City firms throughout my degree. Equally, I've got experience in financial institutions and had positions of responsibility at university. I guess my only option is to continue submitting applications and awaiting the outcome.

ReputationRep:
    Had an interview on Thursday, waiting to hear back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shmoobly)
    Just got invited to a video interview - but the deadline is tomorrow! Talk about last minute
    Just been invited to do a video interview too, it really is last minute!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TykeDragon)
    yeah, on my macfarlanes app i did 250-350 words (500 allowed) for achievements and non academic interests, and 400-450 for why macfarlanes, why you etc
    Yeah I found the Macfarlanes app considerably longer than other apps, there's a 500 word count for almost every question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yytan154)
    Yeah I found the Macfarlanes app considerably longer than other apps, there's a 500 word count for almost every question.
    Exactly, I think the closest I got to the 500 was about 430 words on the 'why are you applying to macfarlanes and what are your career ambitions' one. I did about 600 words for my cover letter, and maxed the 50 word/100 word count on the interesting part of course / work experiences respectively. i think my lowest one was about 230 out of 500 words for my other interests D: i could have written more but i would ave been waffling/repeating so i thought to be concise instead would be better! my achievements/skills questions (the other two questions) were about 350.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrlufc3131)
    Had an interview on Thursday, waiting to hear back.

Now received an offer

ReputationRep:
    Now received an offer
    Congrats mate, is this for the summer vac scheme?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kidioteque)
    Congrats mate, is this for the summer vac scheme?
    Thanks man! It is indeed, are you applying?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks man! It is indeed, are you applying?
    That's quality, well done! Yeah, haven't got around to finishing the application yet though - I'd been wondering whether I should wait until term's over so that I can give it my undivided attention. The fact they've started giving out offers makes me think I ought to get a move on though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kidioteque)
    That's quality, well done! Yeah, haven't got around to finishing the application yet though - I'd been wondering whether I should wait until term's over so that I can give it my undivided attention. The fact they've started giving out offers makes me think I ought to get a move on though...
    Thanks mate! I wouldn't worry too much, I do some work on campus for them and their advice has been that as long as it's done before Christmas it'll be okay - the most important thing is that it's good enough, definitely wouldn't panic yet.

Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks mate! I wouldn't worry too much, I do some work on campus for them and their advice has been that as long as it's done before Christmas it'll be okay - the most important thing is that it's good enough, definitely wouldn't panic yet.

Good luck!!
    Ah okay, great - cheers for the advice, man. Congratulations again

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! I was wondering whether I should include in the work section of my applications for TC that I have been selected for a winter VS, although I haven't commenced it yet?! Obviously, I wouldn't be able to give much of a description...would it be best to not included it at all in those app that I will send off before my schemes ends? Thanks!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.