The Student Room Group

Which graduates are most likely to make 50k+ in their careers?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 19cvabn
how would you know about this thing? Are you a dentist? (Dont think so) Im sorry youre speaking with 0.5 years of experience assuming that individual just graduated from university. 0.5 years of experience = 60k, wow, lets be realistic ok. :smile:

Its a year experience, not 0.5. Go look at government figures if you want, thats how i know. Not to mention my uncle is a dentist who trains foundation dentists
Original post by 19cvabn
I have a question, if you reach 50k+ salary benchmark, do you proclaim yourself as rich?

I'd consider myself totally unhappy with where I am, and would want to just work hard in silence up until £65k. At £80k I'll feel and be middle-class and 'rich' enough to buy the things I want, albeit over a long time. After £110k, I'll feel 'rich' (in terms of the money you get after tax with that, which is about £66k). Anything over £110k is great, and I'd work for it, but I wouldn't be pressed or upset if I fail to get beyond it.

You can always juggle multiple jobs and overtime of course.

My perspective on what amount of money would make me content would change if I got a City job however, as I'd then have the potential to make tons more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The happy graduates are most likely to earn 50K+ in their career. :smile:
Original post by lllllllllll
The happy graduates are most likely to earn 50K+ in their career. :smile:

Wait, what? As in the only ones that are happy are the ones that know they'll get 50+ cos of their degree, university, contacts or social and economic capital/you're only gonna be happy (as a graduate) if you become moderately well-off (50k isn't 'rich', at all)? Or as in if you're happy in what you do, you'll get over 50 anyhow?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
People who are seriously money driven will rarely be happy with how much they earn, as soon as you're earning your "target salary" the boundaries just get moved up.
Original post by Wisefire
Lol exactly, you need to just pass the specific accounting exams. Would you say it's therefore better to do something more general like an economics or maths degree, than a finance or accounting one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Obviously, since Accounting and Finance is generally seen as a pushover degree (having looked at the content it's not particularly surprising). According to my dad, it does however mean you might get some exceptions as far as the specific exams go when looking for a job, but a more challenging degree I believe is much better, especially given it leaves more doors easily opened if you do well, given you will likely do it to prove your competence.
Original post by 19cvabn
I have a question, if you reach 50k+ salary benchmark, do you proclaim yourself as rich?

Even in 2014 GBP, not really. Moderately well off, maybe, but far from rich.
OK, thanks for this, but what about career progression from £50k? Is it more than possible to get towards £80k with this sort of degree after 10 or so years? So, senior/executive/directorial roles or just better paid jobs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well the next stage is mid senior to senior management (around 90-100k, then 100-150k excl bonuses where I work (ive seen the payroll figures)

It isn't so defined however, as most cases it comes down to how good you are and if you have the leadership skills to manage a team.

Posted from TSR Mobile
5 of my colleagues at work in my specific team did A&F, all in managerial roles.

Really depends more on the person, I absolutely cannot stress that enough.

Your degree merely pushes you past the acceptance line, the rest you have to do for yourself ie work experience, personality.

Not enough people in this thread realise this. A degree and a notional path doesn't do squat unless you can build on other softer aspects as well as experience.

Let's say, you bury your head in books for 3 years at uni. You have gained no practical experience, you will barely get past grad scheme first stage.

If your attitude stinks, and a potential employer doesn't feel like your personality 'fits' despite you having grades or even experience in many cases, then bye bye job...

In the same way, even if you do manage to do amazingly in exams and your first entry level role, you will always be looked over for management roles as you don't have leadership skills. You're a liability if you can't inspire/bring the best out of your team.

So you'll be forever capped at the lower end of the salary scale but never the dizzying heights of £100k.

Posted from TSR Mobile
LLB Law & also Business Economics from Russell Group Uni's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think the conclusion I can reach from reading all the replies here is no degree except medicine or dentistry will guarantee you making 50k.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pipsico
5 of my colleagues at work in my specific team did A&F, all in managerial roles.

Really depends more on the person, I absolutely cannot stress that enough.

Your degree merely pushes you past the acceptance line, the rest you have to do for yourself ie work experience, personality.

Not enough people in this thread realise this. A degree and a notional path doesn't do squat unless you can build on other softer aspects as well as experience.

Let's say, you bury your head in books for 3 years at uni. You have gained no practical experience, you will barely get past grad scheme first stage.

If your attitude stinks, and a potential employer doesn't feel like your personality 'fits' despite you having grades or even experience in many cases, then bye bye job...

In the same way, even if you do manage to do amazingly in exams and your first entry level role, you will always be looked over for management roles as you don't have leadership skills. You're a liability if you can't inspire/bring the best out of your team.

So you'll be forever capped at the lower end of the salary scale but never the dizzying heights of £100k.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So, apart from making it apparent you really are highly enthusiastic about being successful/having a successful (and I suppose somewhat lucrative) job, and leading a successful team, what can someone do, in terms of work experience, to show they possess 'leadership skills' at an early age (i.e now, as a 17 year old like I am)? What can I do now to bolster my experiences/competencies/'qualifications' in leadership (as I'm fully aware you need to clearly show evidence of what you say you are in your CV)? Any suggestions, anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So, apart from making it apparent you really are highly enthusiastic about being successful/having a successful (and I suppose somewhat lucrative) job, and leading a successful team, what can someone do, in terms of work experience, to show they possess 'leadership skills' at an early age (i.e now, as a 17 year old like I am)? What can I do now to bolster my experiences/competencies/'qualifications' in leadership (as I'm fully aware you need to clearly show evidence of what you say you are in your CV)? Any suggestions, anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile

DofE? Captaining a sports team?
Original post by stirkee

Right, thanks. I'll try and do DofE in year 13/next year. I've never done anything in sports within schools (not to say I'm not sporty lol, I like cycling. A lot), so I'll see if I can do something significant in sports within university.
Original post by stirkee

You dont need to have these programs to emphasize that you have leadership skills, but if you managed to get one. Thats great! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

By being the head of some society at uni, or the treasurer
Be a student ambassador
Volunteering for a charity and doing some fundraising - shows you have some public speaking skills and can work who people.

All these are fairly easy to obtain whilst at uni. Of course, it would be even better if you could demonstrate it in the working world eg being a supervisor in retail. But that isn't entirely necessary.

What is even more important is that you work on your relationship with people. What I've read from your posts so far makes you seem like an unsociable hermit. Nows the time to get out there and engage with people, and improve your social skills.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by trustmeimlying1
what job do you have your sights on

I completely agree but if youre gonna be in the higher tax brand you may as well make it worthwhile and earn a good bit

My life goal has always been to be an exhibiting and commercially successful visual artist. Other fields that would probably suit me are being a therapist, psychologist, or counsellor of some kind. I wouldn't mind being a social worker or working for social services in such a way that would be of interest to me and positively benefit people's lives. I wouldn't mind museum conservation work or curating for a while. Though I'm told I should become a poet :s-smilie:. I'm just going to do what I love and see where it takes me to be fair.
Original post by Temporality
My life goal has always been to be an exhibiting and commercially successful visual artist. Other fields that would probably suit me are being a therapist, psychologist, or counsellor of some kind. I wouldn't mind being a social worker or working for social services in such a way that would be of interest to me and positively benefit people's lives. I wouldn't mind museum conservation work or curating for a while. Though I'm told I should become a poet :s-smilie:. I'm just going to do what I love and see where it takes me to be fair.

not a bad way to live..I just hope yeh get a job...
The figures for associate dentists earning 60k is including part time dentists too. If you prefer to work more than 9-5 80-90k is attainable as an associate. The reason why the pay is so high is because you earn money based on how much you work, you're not paid a salary. If you're an incompetent dentist and it takes you ages to do anything, its going to be hard to even make 50k.
Bear in mind dentists take 6 years to train, big time IBs and Lawyers can earn that type of money earlier and they have MUCH higher ceilings.
Reply 419
Original post by andbegin
The figures for associate dentists earning 60k is including part time dentists too. If you prefer to work more than 9-5 80-90k is attainable as an associate. The reason why the pay is so high is because you earn money based on how much you work, you're not paid a salary. If you're an incompetent dentist and it takes you ages to do anything, its going to be hard to even make 50k.
Bear in mind dentists take 6 years to train, big time IBs and Lawyers can earn that type of money earlier and they have MUCH higher ceilings.

Not many lawyers earn that kind of money within 6 years of starting their degree though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending