Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wahrheit)
    Hey, going to be applying for econ 2015 entry, I've already done 2 years of a maths degree at Warwick (decided to withdraw for various reasons...), my results there varied from 8 percent to 85 percent depending on the module, not sure if the unis I'd be applying to would request a transcript though? My average was pretty low anyway, my results this June were an average of about 35% percent and I would have had to have resat next summer had I decided to stay.

Anyway, A Levels/AS: A*A*(Maths + FM)A(Bio)B(German)bb(Chem, General Studies)
    GCSEs: 7A*, 2A, 1B

Now the thing I'm wondering is, how will my lack of any sort of qualification in Economics prior to this point affect my application to top tier unis? No university should really be in any doubt over my ability to handle the Maths as I've (kind of) made it through two years of Warwick Maths, but is it worth just sitting an A level in econ next summer so they can give me a conditional offer instead of unconditional if they're not sure about me?

Also I was thinking of applying to UCL for two courses (Econ, Econ + 1 year abroad) as it said it's possible to to this on their website and I think I'd really like it there. Is anyone else considering doing something similar? Also is it the same admissions tutors who deal with both these courses, so it'd be either I get an offer from both or neither, kind of thing?

Thanks!
    I'm also applying to L101 and L100!!! Spoke to the admissions tutor and you do in fact have to apply to both these courses separately. I think that we will either be offered both, one or neither!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomixox)
    I'm also applying to L101 and L100!!! Spoke to the admissions tutor and you do in fact have to apply to both these courses separately. I think that we will either be offered both, one or neither!
    Hey, maybe I'll see you there! Would you, like me, accept the L101 over he L100?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, maybe I'll see you there! Would you, like me, accept the L101 over he L100?
    100000%
    It's my first choice even above oxford! Where else are you applying?

ReputationRep:
    100000%
    It's my first choice even above oxford! Where else are you applying?
    Yeah honestly, spending a year in America would be SO awesome! I'm still not 100% sure yet lol but definitely Cambridge and UCL, what about you?

ReputationRep:
    How's everyone's applications going?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LFR)
    Tbh predicted grades are pretty important, but yours are ok. I asked my teachers to change mine last year and they did as long as they were reasonable. What were your AS grades? And did you have any 90% + ums?
    I got AAAB at AS and I averaged 85+ ums in Further Maths and Econ but the college policy meant I wasn't predicted A*s in them.

(Original post by NinjaPandaa)
    If you're not predicted an a* in maths that'll be a bigger issue than the number of a*s from what I hear
    I am predicted an A* in Maths so should I stop worrying so much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey4live)
    I got AAAB at AS and I averaged 85+ ums in Further Maths and Econ but the college policy meant I wasn't predicted A*s in them.

I am predicted an A* in Maths so should I stop worrying so much?
    Yeah you should be ok, just make sure your personal statement is killer

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AChhabs0701)
    How's everyone's applications going?
    Mines almost ready to go off woo! Hopefully should be sent by the end of the week at the latest you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have 9A*s 2As at GCSEs, AAAA at AS: Maths, Econ, Geog and Psychology
    I'm picking up EPQ, FM (AS) this year and my personal statement is very strong
    I really want to get into UCL but my maths teacher is refusing to predict me an A* in maths so it looks like I'll be applying with A*AA predictions... do I still have a shot?

Thx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emi1996)
    I have 9A*s 2As at GCSEs, AAAA at AS: Maths, Econ, Geog and Psychology
    I'm picking up EPQ, FM (AS) this year and my personal statement is very strong
    I really want to get into UCL but my maths teacher is refusing to predict me an A* in maths so it looks like I'll be applying with A*AA predictions... do I still have a shot?

Thx
    Is there no way they'll predict you an a*? What ums did you have? UCL requires an A* in maths I think so that may be an issue

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah honestly, spending a year in America would be SO awesome! I'm still not 100% sure yet lol but definitely Cambridge and UCL, what about you?
    Definitely UCL and oxford! I think I will probably apply to Surrey and Nottingham for my other two universities but I keep changing my mind! Which university in America do you have your eye on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaPandaa)
    Is there no way they'll predict you an a*? What ums did you have? UCL requires an A* in maths I think so that may be an issue

Posted from TSR Mobile
    c1: 84, c2: 95 and s1: 82
    It's frustrating how predicted grades only reflect how 'kind' teachers are in each school :/

ReputationRep:
    Definitely UCL and oxford! I think I will probably apply to Surrey and Nottingham for my other two universities but I keep changing my mind! Which university in America do you have your eye on?
    I live in Nottingham and I would definitely apply if I didn't live here, great city, great campus, just too close to home!

I've heard really great things about Chicago, but then again Columbia is in New York and I know I love New York, plus cheaper plane journeys because it's closer and more frequently travelled. Unlikely I'd go for UCLA, but I could definitely be persuaded and I reckon I could dig the LA lifestyle. So hard to choose! #gettingaheadofmyself

Do you have your eye on any of then in particular yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emi1996)
    c1: 84, c2: 95 and s1: 82
    It's frustrating how predicted grades only reflect how 'kind' teachers are in each school :/
    Ergh that's so annoying because maths is only 90% average over c3 and c4 and in the c1 and c2 you're so close to that is there no way you can do any begging today?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does someone have any knowledge about the European Baccalaureate?

I'm applying to UCL, LSE, Cambridge and Nottingham.
    I have:
    95% Economics,History
    90% Biology, Geography, Physical education
    85% Maths, Second language(English), Dutch, Second lang. adv.
    80% Physics, Philosophy

What are my chances...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexdieleman)
    Does someone have any knowledge about the European Baccalaureate?

I'm applying to UCL, LSE, Cambridge and Nottingham.
    I have:
    95% Economics,History
    90% Biology, Geography, Physical education
    85% Maths, Second language(English), Dutch, Second lang. adv.
    80% Physics, Philosophy

What are my chances...?
    Your best bet is to check the websites and if the info on it isn't there email departments directly

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know whether Economics at Edinburgh is a BSc or a BA? It gives it as an MA (Masters) but I'd prefer a mathematical course than an essay writing one.

ReputationRep:
    I live in Nottingham and I would definitely apply if I didn't live here, great city, great campus, just too close to home!

I've heard really great things about Chicago, but then again Columbia is in New York and I know I love New York, plus cheaper plane journeys because it's closer and more frequently travelled. Unlikely I'd go for UCLA, but I could definitely be persuaded and I reckon I could dig the LA lifestyle. So hard to choose! #gettingaheadofmyself

Do you have your eye on any of then in particular yourself?
    Wow really? Yeah the city looks sooo nice! Literally I'm in the exact same boat as you - I would absolutely love either Chicago UCLA or Columbia! Also perhaps UPenn just because it's Ivy League and having any US university let alone the top ones would really stand out to employers I reckon.
    I am just so stuck at the minute because I don't know whether to prioritise social and student life over job prospects when it comes to picking UK universities. Obviously I'm not going to be ridiculous and apply to somewhere like Liverpool (average for economics not dissing it) just because I want to party but at the same time I'm put off LSE because of the apparent lack of socialable students there! Nonetheless, the job prospects there are incredible! It's third in the world for economics which is obviously very very good!

Also, do you take further maths? I don't and that's also why I'm not too keen on LSE as I know how religious they are about taking Further Maths. It's even worse because my school offer it but I just couldn't be bothered to take it hahaha!

How were your AS and GCSE results if you don't mind me asking? Also what economic related extra cirricular
    Have you done?

ReputationRep:
    how competitive is the ucl economics and year abroad?

also are there no other opportunities to study abroad if I only applied for straight econ?

ReputationRep:
    Wow really? Yeah the city looks sooo nice! Literally I'm in the exact same boat as you - I would absolutely love either Chicago UCLA or Columbia! Also perhaps UPenn just because it's Ivy League and having any US university let alone the top ones would really stand out to employers I reckon.
    I am just so stuck at the minute because I don't know whether to prioritise social and student life over job prospects when it comes to picking UK universities. Obviously I'm not going to be ridiculous and apply to somewhere like Liverpool (average for economics not dissing it) just because I want to party but at the same time I'm put off LSE because of the apparent lack of socialable students there! Nonetheless, the job prospects there are incredible! It's third in the world for economics which is obviously very very good!

Also, do you take further maths? I don't and that's also why I'm not too keen on LSE as I know how religious they are about taking Further Maths. It's even worse because my school offer it but I just couldn't be bothered to take it hahaha!

How were your AS and GCSE results if you don't mind me asking? Also what economic related extra cirricular
    Have you done?
    GCSE I got 7A*2A1B but I'm actually applying post A level (I'm 21) and I achieved 2A*(maths and further maths)A(biology)B(German) and I also got 2Bs in Chemistry and General studies AS. Now as you probably noticed, I didn't do economics (despite having the option to...yeah, oops, but it was a long time ago!) A level but I did further maths and in fact did two years of a maths degree at warwick haha, so I have evidence of my mathematical ability but not of my ability to actually do economics lol.

Similarly, though, I also want to go somewhere with a great social life and also with great career prospects, as I'm definitely viewing it all as a 'second chance' at uni. As I say though, I have number of inconsistencies in my application; namely that I've shown I can do maths but other than that it's not standout. Also the fact I did two years of one degree and then withdrew could show a lack of commitment, or it could be a sign that I'm mature and brave enough to recognise a failure and pursue my real interests, depending on how you look at it (and how good my personal statement is!).

Again I have a dearth of things in the 'economics extra-curricular' department, so we'll so how that goes lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.