University of Edinburgh Offer Holders 2015 Thread Watch

clampi2004
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Conditional offer for psychology at Edinburgh, still waiting on hearing from QMU and Heriot Watt but think i will stick with Edinburgh only need 3B's on Arts and Humanities SWAP
watchingyouwatch
Badges: 13
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by benpringle)
York has a much better reputation for what I want to do and I much prefer it as a university in general for different reasons. Plus, a lot of people I know are at/going to York and I know very little people at Edinburgh. Great uni though, just not for me.

Since when did York get a "much better" reputation for music ?
benpringle
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by watchingyouwatch)
Since when did York get a "much better" reputation for music ?
Just does, always has.
watchingyouwatch
Report 4 years ago
Just does, always has.
says who ?

I am not a fan of league tables but they certainly don't say that so I just thought you could say exactly who says York is "much better"- besides you of course ...
benpringle
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by watchingyouwatch)
says who ?

I am not a fan of league tables but they certainly don't say that so I just thought you could say exactly who says York is "much better"- besides you of course ...
I'm not here for a debate, this is for people who got offers which I did. It's a known fact among music academics in Britain that York is a top notch debarment and that Edinburgh, although very good, isn't as strong in that particular field. York has better research, facilities, better graduate destinations, most distinguished lecturers and, despite what league tables say, has been known as a solid department for a long time. Edinburgh's degree used to be part of the Edinburgh College of Art before it integrated with the university and only recently has it seen prominence as a to department, which it is now, but it isn't as established as York.
watchingyouwatch
Report 4 years ago
I'm not here for a debate, this is for people who got offers which I did. It's a known fact among music academics in Britain that York is a top notch debarment and that Edinburgh, although very good, isn't as strong in that particular field. York has better research, facilities, better graduate destinations, most distinguished lecturers and, despite what league tables say, has been known as a solid department for a long time. Edinburgh's degree used to be part of the Edinburgh College of Art before it integrated with the university and only recently has it seen prominence as a to department, which it is now, but it isn't as established as York.
Well you don't have to debate if you don't want to

But Edinburgh University has had its first professor of music in 1839. They came under the umbrella of The Edinburgh College of Art after the merger. Saying something is a well known fact without any other evidence doesn't make it so. York University was formed in 1963....It is a great university with a good music department but you have provided no evidence to suggest its superiority and certainly not its superiority based on its age

Good Luck with Cambridge I hope you get in and enjoy it
WilJones138
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Polar2)
Has anyone with an engineering offer heard anything about a post-offer visit/open day? I'd be really keen to go but I haven't heard anything yet :/ my friend who has an offer for computer science has been invited to one already, which is slightly worrying me
Yeah I have an offer and went to a visit day it was awesome the department and labs are really impressive and they showed us the layout of the five year masters to us, the department is only 20 ish minutes walk away from centre of town and halls, really recommend you going if you get the chance awesome city as well :P they don't call it the Athens of the North for nothing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oliviarnh
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sofiagiulia)
Got an offer for Sociology! Does anyone know any contact hours estimates per week?
Congrats! I'm waiting to hear back from them- could I be nosey and ask what grades they asked for? I just wondered whether they actually ask for the "typical offer"grades quoted on the website. Where else have you applied? Edinburgh is the last of mine to get back to me!
Oliviarnh
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jemy)
Is anyone else still waiting for an offer or refusal, because I have submitted my application two days before deadline and gotten an offer from each of the other 4 unis, but Edinburgh has not gotten back to me till now?! Does anybody have an idea wether this a good or bad sign?
I'm basically exactly the same! They sent an email saying that they wanted to reply to all applicants by the 31st of March...the wait shouldn't be much longer!
clampi2004
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
is it a joint degree if so they take longer as they leave them usually to last since it is considered by two departments together
Oliviarnh
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by clampi2004)
is it a joint degree if so they take longer as they leave them usually to last since it is considered by two departments together
nope, just sociology! I think it's just because they have a lot of applicants, I don't know- hopefully will find out soon enough!
lenbenlee
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
hey, offer holder for math and physics Bsc here.
Any one else from Berlin/Germany?
Polar2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by WilJones138)
Yeah I have an offer and went to a visit day it was awesome the department and labs are really impressive and they showed us the layout of the five year masters to us, the department is only 20 ish minutes walk away from centre of town and halls, really recommend you going if you get the chance awesome city as well :P they don't call it the Athens of the North for nothing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sweet, yeah it sounds amazing and I'd love to go for a visit but the engineering website said something like "successful applicants will be invited to visit days" but I got my offer two weeks ago and still haven't heard anything about a scheduled visit day. I might email them or something now though.
Yeah I'd definitely like to go and see Edinburgh, because I'm just back from Durham and thought their open day was excellent so I want to compare the two now to help with my decision!!
Good to hear about the department location, I was worried it looked a little far away on the maps but 20 mins is just a little stroll!
esrioasaoirse
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by helenapraidell)
Anyone got offers from Ireland? A good few of my friends and myself have applied but no one's heard anything back. We can only hope that the conversion to LC grades is what's the delay. The suspense really is killing me — send my application in October!!
I'm from Ireland too and myself and a few friends are still waiting to hear but 2 of them received offers last week so I think its just down to the individual departments themselves
Petraa1997
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Has anyone received an offer for economics?
Mollypeta
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Petraa1997)
still waiting for economics and maths, have you heard?
Petraa1997
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mollypeta)
still waiting for economics and maths, have you heard?
No, nothing....I hate the waiting process haha
Which country are you from?
DBV997
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Petraa1997)
Nope, nothing yet, I'm from Scotland.
jpchristie97
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Still waiting on Edinburgh to reply for Law and I'm starting to stress friends have unconditional offers and the applicant days are next week or so for Law. What are the chances, realistically, of a default rejection?
sofiagiulia
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Oliviarnh)
Congrats! I'm waiting to hear back from them- could I be nosey and ask what grades they asked for? I just wondered whether they actually ask for the "typical offer"grades quoted on the website. Where else have you applied? Edinburgh is the last of mine to get back to me!
I've already done my A levels, so I got an unconditional offer. I got AAAA!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (512)
37.76%
No - but I will (104)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (93)
6.86%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (647)
47.71%

Watched Threads