Turn on thread page Beta

Badges are live.... beta rollout! watch

• View Poll Results: What would you like to name the recognition system
    Badges
    61.61%
    Shields
    30.36%
    Something else (please post in the thread)
    8.04%

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    I'm not making a suggestion about badges. I didn't like badges and it doesn't surprise me that the CT have put the project on hold. But they were (apparently) meant to solve the issue of helpfulness going unrecognised - they haven't, that issue is still there - so I'm asking is there anything else that can be done to solve that issue, something which would take less development time?
    Nothing that I can think of off the top of my head! A lot of people are happy doing what they're doing without any recognition.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Roving Fish)
    Nothing that I can think of off the top of my head! A lot of people are happy doing what they're doing without any recognition.
    Of course they are, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be any. It's pretty annoying when you spend 5-10 minutes researching an answer for someone but don't get any kind of acknowledgment, let alone rep.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Of course they are, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be any. It's pretty annoying when you spend 5-10 minutes researching an answer for someone but don't get any kind of acknowledgment, let alone rep.
    We recognised the rep problem and CT will be looking into one or two things about rep. I completely understand your frustration about no recognition but I lead a team where they do exactly this and is mostly a thankless task.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roving Fish)
    We recognised the rep problem and CT will be looking into one or two things about rep. I completely understand your frustration about no recognition but I lead a team where they do exactly this and is mostly a thankless task.
    Indeed so. As I said, I haven't got a hero level 3 yet... And do you know, I rather think virtue is its own reward, when it comes to helping people over in Unis, and I think you do, too.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Call them Knights
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    Indeed so. As I said, I haven't got a hero level 3 yet... And do you know, I rather think virtue is its own reward, when it comes to helping people over in Unis, and I think you do, too.
    PRSOM
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I rather think virtue is its own reward
    I don't think anyone would bother helping people on TSR if they didn't enjoy it for its own sake, but it would be nice if those people whose questions are answered showed a little appreciation now and then.

Also, both you and RF get something tangible for your efforts - it might not be something you particularly care about, but it's something nonetheless.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anyone would bother helping people on TSR if they didn't enjoy it for its own sake, but at the same it would be nice if those people whose questions are answered showed a little appreciation now and then.

Also, both you and RF get something tangible for your efforts - it might not be something you particularly care about, but it's something nonetheless.
    Well, I hope people remember to thank you for your advice in future.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by Alexion)
    I think there's probably a fault with the system - considering how rare the L2/3 Hero badges are, I'd imagine that it's not exactly as detailed on the info page...
    The explanations are correct although it's a bit simplified. Hero is a particularly hard badge to attain as the criteria are so strict.

To be clear, to qualify for Hero, you need to have 1/2/3 (for level 1/2/3) first replies to a thread, where each of your replies is at least 24 hours newer than the original post and gets repped by the OP (for privacy reasons, threads started by Anonymous don't count). The post(s) must all be under 30 days old when the final rep comes in, and must not deleted nor moved in to a forum you can't access (though the OP likely wouldn't be able to rep you anyway if that happened).
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Dez)
    The explanations are correct although it's a bit simplified. Hero is a particularly hard badge to attain as the criteria are so strict.

To be clear, to qualify for Hero, you need to have 1/2/3 (for level 1/2/3) first replies to a thread, where each of your replies is at least 24 hours newer than the original post and gets repped by the OP (for privacy reasons, threads started by Anonymous don't count). The post(s) must all be under 30 days old when the final rep comes in, and must not deleted nor moved in to a forum you can't access (though the OP likely wouldn't be able to rep you anyway if that happened).
    Huh? How is the bolded bit possible?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by keromedic)
    Huh? How is the bolded bit possible?
    Meaning - the reply was made within 24 hours after the OP was posted
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    Meaning - the reply was made within 24 hours after the OP was posted
    Thanks for the help Pickles.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by keromedic)
    Thanks for the help Pickles.
    Pickles?! :shock:
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    Pickles?! :shock:
    Sorry .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)

Since you don't even have one yourself, I will assume you've not made this uber-complex merely so you alone can have one...
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Since you don't even have one yourself, I will assume you've not made this uber-complex merely so you alone can have one...
    I actually made it easier, the original spec made Hero lv3 practically impossible to get. I ran some tests to see how many users would be eligible for each badge to gauge difficulty, we've set Hero to be the hardest one but it is at least achievable. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    I actually made it easier, the original spec made Hero lv3 practically impossible to get. I ran some tests to see how many users would be eligible for each badge to gauge difficulty, we've set Hero to be the hardest one but it is at least achievable. :p:
    At the risk of sounding whiny (and let the record show I don't actually mind, this is merely puzzlement speaking) I can't understand how I can have got so much rep without hitting this.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    At the risk of sounding whiny (and let the record show I don't actually mind, this is merely puzzlement speaking) I can't understand how I can have got so much rep without hitting this.
    You may be answering threads too quickly. Looking at the records, you've only got 64 posts that counted as unanswered thread replies (24 hours or older) since the badges were launched.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    You may be answering threads too quickly. Looking at the records, you've only got 64 posts that counted as unanswered thread replies (24 hours or older) since the badges were launched.
    Oh, I see. I do tend to do it as soon as I see them. I shall stop being efficient.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Dez)
    snip
    Do you think badges are desirable?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 7, 2017
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.