Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I think they should not be allowed to draw these kind of cartoons and get away with it but people go to jail for insulting the army. I don't know what the law is in France I don't care about that but I'm talking about the UK.

ReputationRep:
    haha can we call this the KONY2012 effect? i really hate when a news story becomes trendy. 98% of the people spouting je suis charlie are just jumping on the trend. they don't really care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white boy)
    haha can we call this the KONY2012 effect? i really hate when a news story becomes trendy. 98% of the people spouting je suis charlie are just jumping on the trend. they don't really care.
    Yes they do care. And why does it upset you that so many people take part in this movement?
    I think that's the beauty of it really: these people are not political activists, some of them never vote, some of them don't even have the right to vote. Yet, they all feel concerned by what happened because it's a direct attack against freedom of expression, against tolerance, and against French values.
    As a French citizen, I'm really glad that my people are standing altogether to defend this cause.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amenahussein)
    X
    You do realise that Charlie Hebdo isn't a person, don't you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    You do realise that Charlie Hebdo isn't a person, don't you?
    Oh yea, that's his magazine my bad!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh yea, that's his magazine my bad!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ... No, it isn't. "Charlie" isn't a person and hasn't ever been. It's just the name of the newspaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophiaLDN)
    100% agree. I already shared my reasons in the other post about this so I might as-well copy & past. They also had a cover talking about surrogacy being slavery & what do you know, they drew a picture of 2 white people walking a black person on all 4s with a leash. Just inserting racism wherever they can & showcasing how they truly feel about black people.

Charlie Hebdo has made numerous extremely racist etc comics. Although they insult other religions equally, they seem to go one step further when insulting Muslims. Hebdo contributes to the marginalisation of discriminated groups that are already oppressed; its not 'just a cartoon'. Their work is viciously disgusting and goes above satire and into the realm of racism, xenophobia etc. They shouldn't have been killed, I condemn the murders just like I condemn the cartoons. So now, Charlie Hebdo is now being put on a pedestal as a western saviour and campaigner for free speech. They never were. If you champion free speech, you will not support Charlie Hebdo's work as they use it as a blanket to spread hate, islamophobia, racism and incite violence/ xenophobia.

So no, I am not Charlie. If I am anyone it would be Ahmed, the (muslim) policeman who was killed. He died protecting Charlie Hebdo who ridiculed his culture, ethnicity and faith. He died defending and protecting free speech and is a true hero.
    PRSOM

This, 100%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Opiece)
    Yes they do care. And why does it upset you that so many people take part in this movement?
    I think that's the beauty of it really: these people are not political activists, some of them never vote, some of them don't even have the right to vote. Yet, they all feel concerned by what happened because it's a direct attack against freedom of expression, against tolerance, and against French values.
    As a French citizen, I'm really glad that my people are standing altogether to defend this cause.
    maybe the feeling is different in france. where i'm sitting it's just the latest news story that became trendy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Opiece)
    ... No, it isn't. "Charlie" isn't a person and hasn't ever been. It's just the name of the newspaper.
    So WHYS everyone Charlie then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So WHYS everyone Charlie then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's a statement of solidarity, those who say they're Charlie are saying they stand up for the magazine's actions, in other words, they support freedom of expression and the ability to mock and criticise belief systems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophiaLDN)

Charlie Hebdo has made numerous extremely racist etc comics.
    Can we have a single example of racism from the Charlie Hebdo magazine?

ReputationRep:
    The amount of people referring to Charlie as a person, shows the ignorance rife in this thread quite plainly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think it's an unnecessarily offensive magazine. People have a right to criticise religions but there's a fine line between satirising prejudice and being prejudiced, such as in the monkey picture above.

However, nothing justifies that shooting. Nothing.
    God knows I hate the Daily Mail and all the prejudices it stands for but if someone shot up their offices it would be horrific.

It's difficult. Je suis Charlie in terms of the right for free expression, but je ne suis pas Charlie in terms of the message they were trying to express. I'm worried that 'je suis Charlie' might be tacitly condoning that message.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drsloth)
    Can we have a single example of racism from the Charlie Hebdo magazine?
    The monkey picture on the first page looks rather racist to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paradoxicalme)
    it might look racist to you, but in reality it is the exact opposite. It is in fact attacking racists.
    So is there an example of racism anybody? If not, then I suggest refraining from libelling these cartoonists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    It's a statement of solidarity, those who say they're Charlie are saying they stand up for the magazine's actions, in other words, they support freedom of expression and the ability to mock and criticise belief systems.
    That's more of a reason for me to not be Charlie, by standing with this magazine people are depending bigotry and xenophobia. How stupid is this hashtag?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paradoxicalme)
    The context for that has been stated numerous times.

The thing about satire is that you kind of have to know the context...

(Original post by CJKay)
    The cartoon, titled "Rassemblement bleu Raciste" ("Racist Blue Gathering"), was a satirical attack on Marine le Pen, the leader of France's far right wing party and part of the "Rassemblement bleu Marine" ("Marine Blue Gathering"), who described Christiane Taubira, the French Minister of Justice, as a monkey.

ReputationRep:
    That's more of a reason for me to not be Charlie, by standing with this magazine people are depending bigotry and xenophobia. How stupid is this hashtag?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You've done it too many times for it to be a typo; do you mean 'defending'?

Where is the bigotry and xenophobia by the way?

ReputationRep:
    Although I may not agree with some of the cartoons I defend others' rights to make them.

There is no right not to be offended.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h3isenberg)
    You've done it too many times for it to be a typo; do you mean 'defending'?

Where is the bigotry and xenophobia by the way?
    LOL! I am honestly sorry, it's my keyboard -_-

Oh, it's front page. On every page, have you seen the magazine?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.