The Student Room Group

A2 AQA ICT June 2015 Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ThatGuyRik
Early night tonight.

Good luck everyone for tomorrow!

You too! Is it just me that feels massively under prepared despite knowing most of the theory?! :frown:
Original post by KAKAKA17
You too! Is it just me that feels massively under prepared despite knowing most of the theory?! :frown:

No one will ever feel prepared for ICT. People assume its going to be easy then get wrecked :biggrin:

Dw i feel the same :smile:
Original post by tofaeal
Can someone please help me urgent!!!

What do we need to know about backups/recovery/and the procedures etc??

This has come up a couple of times in past papers so could someone give me a good summary of what we need to know?

Thanks

Kind of summarise what we need to know because you've said it... backup strategies/what you need to consider when backing up, recovery plan- how to recover from a disaster, actions needed to take if it does happen, risk analysis (in the pre release so I imagine it will come up) etc. For backup, think of who/what/when/where/why, and testing the recovery of backed up data. Yeah you can expand on it c:
Original post by clover126
Kind of summarise what we need to know because you've said it... backup strategies/what you need to consider when backing up, recovery plan- how to recover from a disaster, actions needed to take if it does happen, risk analysis (in the pre release so I imagine it will come up) etc. For backup, think of who/what/when/where/why, and testing the recovery of backed up data. Yeah you can expand on it c:

Thank you for replying!

Could you give me examples of back up strategies/methods and recovery methods?
Original post by sebek369
no, that diagram is wrong..

What's wrong with it 😅 can someone draw how it should be
Original post by ThatGuyRik
No one will ever feel prepared for ICT. People assume its going to be easy then get wrecked :biggrin:

Dw i feel the same :smile:

Very true! GL bro see you on the other side :wink:
I'm actually reading my notes right now for some pointless reason!

But to think this time tomorrow most of us will be stress free !!!!
Original post by tofaeal
Thank you for replying!

Could you give me examples of back up strategies/methods and recovery methods?

Backup:
-Who is responsible for backing up i.e. ICT technician in UCDM.
-A log of the backups must be kept to ensure it is in order and carried out properly.
-Time of backing up- Their main office is in Ipswich but they are located all around the world, so any time they carry out the back up would affect a few countries. But I would still say night so "fewer" activities are carried out which could be affected.
-Frequency of backup- could be done daily, weekly, fortnightly etc.
-Cost of backup- The cost of buying the media/storage space must be considered because large amounts of data would mean a large data warehouse needed- more expensive.
- What the backup will be conducted on- tape for example, where it has a vast amount of storage space, but could easily be misplaced/damaged. Disk mirroring and RAID could also be used (data stored on identical/several disks).
- Recovery of data should be tested using the backup to make sure it works.

Recovery:
-Making sure the backup strategies (above) are in place.
- Recover data in chronological order of backups (or data could corrupt).
- The equipment available to recover the data on- could be on the original site of the organisation or off site.
-The cost of recovering data might need to be considered.

I hope that's right? :biggrin:
Does anyone methodologies would come up?
Original post by Sarah5152

This time tomorrow I hope to blow money on a new graphics card, SSD and PSU, but that's just me :P
Original post by Quinny898
This time tomorrow I hope to blow money on a new graphics card, SSD and PSU, but that's just me :P

My plan is to just come home, and just lay down on the living room floor for an hour...maybe take a nap while im at it

My Steam Library is ready
Cannot wait for this to be over, almost a week later than some finishing. That "is now playing" notification is too tempting
Original post by Taplin97
The new system that is being developed for the merged organisations will match disaster locations with location of volunteers and equipment. Draw an entity relationship diagram to represent a relational database design that could be used.

IS THIS RIGHT ? D:[/QUOT

Can someone say what's wrong with this please
Reply 413
My plan is to just come home, and just lay down on the living room floor for an hour...maybe take a nap while im at it

Sounds like a plan! Honestly can't wait for this to be over.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 414
Serious question- someone please state advantages and disadvantages of UCDM using a extranet facility.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone explain what is the spiral methodology and Iterative methodology? without being too complex please.
Original post by kmahz
Serious question- someone please state advantages and disadvantages of UCDM using a extranet facility.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Expensive to offer the software to carry out having an Extranet, as having extranet is costly and as UCDM is a not for profit organisation, it may be hard to maintain funds for using extranet. I think that's an ok answer.
Original post by HarpZsc
Expensive to offer the software to carry out having an Extranet, as having extranet is costly and as UCDM is a not for profit organisation, it may be hard to maintain funds for using extranet. I think that's an ok answer.

It also allows volunteers to access information on the servers that shouldn't be accessible over the internet, and upload/download files from the server
Original post by HarpZsc
Can someone explain what is the spiral methodology and Iterative methodology? without being too complex please.

Linear- each stage is completed before moving onto the next stage with no looping back or changes made.

Iterative- project broken into stages and each is developed using a cyclic development with feedback and improvements. Parts may be developed and used before other developments.

Not me! I've got an operation a few hours after the exam! Aha!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending