Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    After leaving the exam, my friend and I analysed the poem on his phone and we kinda thought about how the lilacs were probably a portrayal of female prostitution. Think about it, the cracked, isolated alleyways. The men on the phones and also the flesh and cash? Which probably links to human trafficking and how female 'flesh' is bought with cash. In addition, it mentioned that love is not a distinction for the lilacs. I just wish I wrote this in my exam. My exam went so terrible.

ReputationRep:
    lol don't worry, i wrote about butterflies! lmao

ReputationRep:
    but i predicted candy

ReputationRep:
    I put about how the Poem started with 'sour of the earth' and ended with 'sweet,perfume' said how it has gone from bad to good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ethxnscxtt)
    I put about how the Poem started with 'sour of the earth' and ended with 'sweet,perfume' said how it has gone from bad to good?
    That sounds much better what I wrote. I just wrote so much bull ****..

ReputationRep:
    I said that it was juxtaposition

ReputationRep:
    That went surprisingly okay from a Mockingbirds point of view, Alexandra was who I was hoping for! Now onto physics Wednesday and the dreaded Lord of the flies/view from a bridge on Friday :bl:

ReputationRep:
    I wrote that the lilacs represented the good in the world and that people are too busy and caught up in the modern world to notice nature. I compared the structure (3 stanza group, 4 lines, 3 stanza group) to a day, referring to the weather, and used that to say that people will always ignore the good in the world because the poem was kind of cyclic.

In terms of the second poem I didn't have much time and basically linked it to the abandoned mining communities after Thatcher got rid of the mining industry.

So yeah, totally different interpretation to most (I miss a lot of metaphors it seems) but I think I backed it up enough to get good marks...

ReputationRep:
    A few people in my class wrote about prostitution. Guess they'll be getting the A*s. :x

ReputationRep:
    I completely missed the prostitution metaphor... I thought it was all about how the lilacs were bringing good to a world obsessed with technology

ReputationRep:
    But then again, in the end, the lilacs ends up "bowing down". So they are essentially destroyed for no purpose (since the people have ignored it).

So in a way, its still from bad to bad but I guess its just an interpretation.

ReputationRep:
    I barely wrote anything for the devices used, which is sure to bring my grade down
    it's so easy to think of ideas after you're out of the exam >.<

Who else is doing An Inspector Calls/About A Boy on Friday?

ReputationRep:
    I thought the lilac is a flower...is that right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That was a really surprising exam, I knew Candy had a high chance of being on the paper but I predicted Curley's Wife as the character question. It didn't give an overall theme at all, but I chose the theme question as I felt there was more to talk about (American Dream, sexism, racism ect.) Don't even start on the poetry, I just know that went horribly wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruthie2267)
    I barely wrote anything for the devices used, which is sure to bring my grade down

I'm doing An Inspector Calls and Heroes.

ReputationRep:

Me!! feel free to message me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauzy00)
    I bet Heroes is more interesting than About A Boy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauzy00)
    same feel free to message me aswell

ReputationRep:
    I bet Heroes is more interesting than About A Boy!
    It's not too bad actually! Fairly hard to write about, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 10studentlife)
    Me!! feel free to message me!
    I'll probably take you up on that! AAB is my least favourite text out of the three. Idk about you but I find it so boring ._.
    I'm ok on AIC though (well, I hope) so the offer stands for you as well (though I wouldn't use me unless you were truly desperate :P)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 5, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.