Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    With class definitions, how do i know whether to use a procedure or a function?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaronK)
    It'll be an eight mark question on will Turing machines ever be as smart as humans...:banghead:
    funny you said that, that question came up on this years comp2 exam loool

ReputationRep:
    Flipping sucks it's in November :/
    Just hope it doesn't get delayed. Don't think it will though #GodHoward
    Starting replaying Fallout 3 then Fallout New Vegas from tomorrow to get myself hyped for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    funny you said that, that question came up on this years comp2 exam loool
    That was my inspiration

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aLeXaNdRa08)
    A function returns a value, so what they're describing sounds like it would return a value then use a function, otherwise use a procedure.

For example, GetName(), GetBitRate(), GetFileSize() is defo a function, whereas

PlaySound(), SetName(), SetBitRate() is defo a procedure.

ReputationRep:
    In the class definition questions do we need to add all the functions/procedures that the parents class have?​ So if they asked us to write the class definition for a child class do we need to write into the public bit of the new class definition all of the functions and procedures that the parent class had?

ReputationRep:
    Function to return a value
    Procedure if you're setting/assigning something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smithster1996)
    In the class definition questions do we need to add all the functions/procedures that the parents class have?​ So if they asked us to write the class definition for a child class do we need to write into the public bit of the new class definition all of the functions and procedures that the parent class had?
    No, as it inherits from its parent class it has its own instances of the same procedures.

ReputationRep:
    No, as it inherits from its parent class it has its own instances of the same procedures.
    So in the new class definition you only have to write in the new functions and procedures and the new data types? None of the stuff from the parents class?

ReputationRep:
    So in the new class definition you only have to write in the new functions and procedures and the new data types? None of the stuff from the parents class?
    Nope! The only exception is if something has changed, i.e. there needs to be a change to a procedure in which case you put override on the end. But this is an exception rather than the rule.

ReputationRep:
    Just write

Inherit [Base Class Name]

And thats it

ReputationRep:
    Nope! The only exception is if something has changed, i.e. there needs to be a change to a procedure in which case you put override on the end. But this is an exception rather than the rule.
    Spot on..
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I just really hope AQA don't screw us over, like they had kind of did with this years COMP1 and COMP2
    :lol: Dat random question asking whether computers would be as smart as humans tho

ReputationRep:
    Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    What is the purpose of a Subnet mask? It seems like loads of things say different things

ReputationRep:
    What is the purpose of a Subnet mask? It seems like loads of things say different things
    To check that the receiving computer is the computer is on the same subnet.

Basically you bitwise AND the IP address and the subnet mark (255.255.255.0)

ReputationRep:
    But how do you know if something has changed unless it tells you?

ReputationRep:
    But how do you know if something has changed unless it tells you?

The stem of the question should indicate it.

I believe it is so you can see if another computer is on the same network/LAN segment.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone considered that there might be an 8 marker on Simulations? Or is that literally not possible?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry-D)
    Has anyone considered that there might be an 8 marker on Simulations? Or is that literally not possible?
    There rarely are simulation questions but who knows!
    They just love surprising us.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 12, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.