Turn on thread page Beta

Should we scrap the monarchy? watch

• View Poll Results: Should the monarchy be abolished once The Queen dies?
    Of course. I'm a diehard republican.
    41.07%
    No - they are doing no harm.
    47.34%
    I'm undecided.
    6.90%
    What?
    4.70%

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by JessThomas6)
    Yeah, in the grand scheme of things it's not a lot and they bring in a lot of money through estates

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That £1.50 would be net, taking out taxes they would pay otherwise, assuming as income tax rather than some income tax and some corporation tax. The amount they put in via estates and the likes is about £4 per person, it's currently getting on for a quarter of a billion in total, 15% of that, 50-60p per person, what they get back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onde)
    The UK perhaps, but England did have at least one Civil War over the matter. Much of the blood, misery and tyranny suffered by other countries was instigated by our country too.
    Yes, although the Interregnum was deeply unpopular and the people tired of reckless constitutional experimenting. I never claimed that British history has been a utopia; I'm saying that we have been extremely fortunate to have learned to adapt gradually and peacefully, and reconciling monarchy and democracy is an aspect of that.

I don't have a problem with Charles having political views, as a private citizen.

Charles has already made it clear that he has no intention whatsoever on obeying such conventions. It is likely he will become even more overt.
    Can you cite where you're getting that from, please?

I'm not convinced it was handled suitably (i.e. swiftly, and with an adequate replacement). If George III had been replaced earlier, we might have made peace with the Revolutionaries earlier too.
    You mean the American revolutionaries? Possibly, but you're comparing there a predemocratic monarch with modern, democratic ones. That's an unfair comparison.

Apart from the regency being technically illegal, if a monarch can be replaced in such a fashion,
    Necessity is the mother of invention - and George III ratified what took place when he recovered from his illness.

I again wonder why monarchists have such an aversion to the idea of a meritocracy.
    I have no aversion to meritocracy at all - I'm simply saying a trained King is more meritocratic than an elected layman

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkSenrine)
    As the idea of a monarchy runs so contrary to a democracy...
    What makes democracy the standard we should strive towards?

ReputationRep:
    I don't see a problem... It can be seen as undemocratic, but seriously? They are only for show, and I love that. If we want to make The UK more democratic we need to look at The House of Lords, it is completely undemocratic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RuWill2001)
    I don't see a problem... It can be seen as undemocratic, but seriously? They are only for show, and I love that. If we want to make The UK more democratic we need to look at The House of Lords, it is completely undemocratic.
    People throw the word "undemocratic" around as if it's a negative, personally I see democracy as the worst form of government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by otester)
    People throw the word "undemocratic" around as if it's a negative, personally I see democracy as the worst form of government.
    Undemocratic is a negative word when we supposedly live in a democratic society. And do you seriously think autocracy is better?

ReputationRep:
    Undemocratic is a negative word when we supposedly live in a democratic society. And do you seriously think autocracy is better?
    I think it has a much better capacity to be better than democracy, which is always in a state of decay.

ReputationRep:
    Even having an unelected House of Lords isn't necessarily a bad thing. Having an unaccountable second chamber has many benefits.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.