Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dramastudent'15)
    Hello everyone! I've already had 5 first rounds and lucky recalls from those schools for 2016 entry and I've just started blogging my experience at https://aspiringactresssite.wordpress.com

Please drop me a comment and share your experiences/questions too, would be nice to hear from other people auditioning

Wow, just got reading your blog, you're doing so so well! Amazing. I'm so curious to know what the contemporary monologue is that you're doing? Unless you're keeping it a bit more secret - I'm not actually applying to drama schools, just very interested as I struggle to find monologues that I think are truly comedic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puashm)
    Wow, just got reading your blog, you're doing so so well! Amazing. I'm so curious to know what the contemporary monologue is that you're doing? Unless you're keeping it a bit more secret - I'm not actually applying to drama schools, just very interested as I struggle to find monologues that I think are truly comedic.
    Thank you for the kind words and reading my blog. You seem to be looking for the almighty piece of comedy!! I would say check out writers like Alan Bennet, Tom Wells, Simon Stephens, Alan Ayckbourn, Edward Albee if you're American... I don't know what pieces do you have in mind? Sometimes I think playing the tragedy and the truth can be terribly funny, rather than playing for the laughs. But heck what do I know. Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there! I need your help guys!This is the situation: I'm Italian and I'm 21. I've a bachelor's Degree in Communication and in the meantime I've been studying acting since September here in Italy. I also had lessons with Lola Cohen who is an actor coach from The Lee Strasberg Institute. So, Which is the best programme I should choose? MA acting, BA or foundation course? I've also thought that is bettter for me to learn more the language ( maybe studying theatre in uni or doing short acting courses) and then try some auditions. I've thought for the Lee Strasberg institute in NY but is too expensive for me now if anyone can also tell me if the Gaiety school of acting in Dublin is a good school I really appreciate it! Thanks so much!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there! I need your help guys!
    This is the situation: I'm Italian and I'm 21. I've a bachelor's Degree in Communication and in the meantime I've been studying acting since September here in Italy. I also had lessons with Lola Cohen who is an actor coach from The Lee Strasberg Institute. So, Which is the best programme I should choose? MA acting, BA or foundation course? I've also thought that is bettter for me to learn more the language ( maybe studying theatre in uni or doing short acting courses) and then try some auditions. I've also thought for the Lee Strasberg institute in NY but is too expensive for me now if anyone can also tell me if the Gaiety school of acting in Dublin is a good school I really appreciate it! Thanks so much!!

ReputationRep:
    Hey I have sent you a direct message x

ReputationRep:
    Whoops that was Supported to be to Mattia!

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone recommend a good headshot photographer in London? I'm on a budget and aiming for £100, but then again I'd much prefer spending a bit more money on something good than wasting even £1 on a bad headshot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katmdb)
    Heya folks,

In two days, I have my interview at RCSSD for Technical and Production Management/Stage Management. This is the only place I've applied for. I'm really bricking it.

I was wondering if anyone who has been through the application process successfully could give me a little insight into what it's actually like? You have no idea how useful that would be to me!

Thanks,

KDB

xox
    Hi Kat

I applied and got an interview at Central for SM but got an offer from my first choice before I could book an interview so didn't end up going, I can however give you insight based on my experiences of the application process in general if it would be useful? Even though I can't specifically talk about Central!
    My experiences of the process were nothing but positive! Of course I was nervous, but possibly for different reasons to others as I am a mature student and have already been working in the industry for 8 years! So I was a little nervous that I would be seen as too old, but I needn't have worried as I have met a range of great and really interesting people throughout my application journey, and not all of them straight out of college
    I suppose my best advice to give would be first and foremost to make sure your portfolio is up to date and gives the best representation of your work! Include anything which you feel might be relevant to your application, but be selective as quality is always better than quantity! Also try not to be too nervous! I know this can be difficult when you want something so bad but schools want to see who you are and what you are about and that's not easy if you're really nervous! Just enjoy the experience! Remeber, you've been called for an interview so the school is already interested in you, and not everybody gets that far!
    Don't try to second guess what they are looking for, as you cannot know and you will just end up tying yourself in knots! The best policy is always be honest and always be yourself! But most of all try to enjoy the experience!!
    Congratulations on the interview and good luck! I'm sure you will do fine!

ReputationRep:
    HI, i just got offered a place on the East 15 foundation, Loughton course! was wondering if any one else has?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

It is said that the money is not an issue but of a freind of mine had an audition with LAMDA and they were very very heavy about that funding question as he already is a postgraduate student they told him that it's going to be difficult if no one can support him, it's really disapointing as i wanted to give a try to that school and as i have no possibility to finance £9000 plus living costs i'm thinking of other drama schools now.

It's only one experience, i do not want to blame LAMDA, it's still one of the best school out there but if there is anyone who went to an audition and felt that the funding question was a bit heavy or opposite if it was very friendly or even from your other drama school audition's expériences, let us know!

Kind regards

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what the Oxford School of Drama is like to audition at? Is it group audition? Any improv?

Also what are you wearing to audition? Can I wear Dr Martens?

And for your classical, do you speak with your own voice or Classical voice? I have been reading to speak in a normal voice but when watching Shakespeare on stage they have the classic Classical voice...

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have an advice on some quite naturalistic contemporary monologues to perform for an audition??
    I'm outside of the UK and have been desperately trying to get my hands on newer pieces of work that I could take a contemporary monologue from.
    If anyone has any specific monologue recommendations/ideas (as opposed to just authors) or tips on where I can find what I'm looking for, that'd be so so good! X

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

Has anyone applied for the MA course at RWCMD?

Impatiently awaiting a letter about a recall/rejection....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by msaot)
    Does anyone know what the Oxford School of Drama is like to audition at? Is it group audition? Any improv?

Also what are you wearing to audition? Can I wear Dr Martens?

And for your classical, do you speak with your own voice or Classical voice? I have been reading to speak in a normal voice but when watching Shakespeare on stage they have the classic Classical voice...
    I've only read a single online account of what it's like to audition there, but I will be attending my first audition there on the 15th. I'm assuming it's a group audition - as I read somewhere a lot of people wanting to be on various courses were there at the same time. - I've just actually searched "Oxford School of Drama audition" in google and quite a few more have come up, so I suggest doing that!

You could probably get away with docs... I was quite tempted to wear mine but the clothing regulations say black with shoes you can move in. So they might be a bit clunky, and less professional? At least, that's why I'm not wearing mine. I will be wearing some black kinda stretchy pants and a black top and converse, I think!

Not 100% on the voices/accent question, but I'd say do whichever comes more naturally to you. You don't want an accent that's fading in & out as they may believe that to be a fault? But like I said, I'm not 100%!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DreamOfTheStage)
    Sorry, yes I meant in general. Mine are RADA and guildhall BA Acting for both.
    Same, only in 2019

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProbablyAM)
    I've only read a single online account of what it's like to audition there, but I will be attending my first audition there on the 15th. I'm assuming it's a group audition - as I read somewhere a lot of people wanting to be on various courses were there at the same time. - I've just actually searched "Oxford School of Drama audition" in google and quite a few more have come up, so I suggest doing that!

You could probably get away with docs... I was quite tempted to wear mine but the clothing regulations say black with shoes you can move in. So they might be a bit clunky, and less professional? At least, that's why I'm not wearing mine. I will be wearing some black kinda stretchy pants and a black top and converse, I think!

Not 100% on the voices/accent question, but I'd say do whichever comes more naturally to you. You don't want an accent that's fading in & out as they may believe that to be a fault? But like I said, I'm not 100%!
    If in doubt wear jazz shoes.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have an advice on some quite naturalistic contemporary monologues to perform for an audition??
    I'm outside of the UK and have been desperately trying to get my hands on newer pieces of work that I could take a contemporary monologue from.
    If anyone has any specific monologue recommendations/ideas (as opposed to just authors) or tips on where I can find what I'm looking for, that'd be so so good! X
    Same...
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hey there!

Check out our audition page where you can find guidance documents on the audition process including suggested monologues, traditional and contemporary. Although this might be different for different institutions it may give you a better idea and show what we as Birmingham School of Acting look for.

All the best for all your auditions!

Lydia (BCU team)

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I'm doing Jess' monologue from Love and Money by Dennis Kelly for an audition with NYT next week .It's such a wonderful but also very natural monologue and I would truly recommend it. The entire of the final scene of that play is a miggghhhttllyy long monologue by Jess and I would suggest doing from, 'I don't know if we're alone' to 'Isn't that f**ked. I'm so in love I could puke'. It's been a lot of fun to work on!! I would suggest any of Dennis Kelly's other works as well. He is a very, very good modern writer. All the best of luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatIzziGirl)
    Hey! I'm doing Jess' monologue from Love and Money by Dennis Kelly for an audition with NYT next week .It's such a wonderful but also very natural monologue and I would truly recommend it. The entire of the final scene of that play is a miggghhhttllyy long monologue by Jess and I would suggest doing from, 'I don't know if we're alone' to 'Isn't that f**ked. I'm so in love I could puke'. It's been a lot of fun to work on!! I would suggest any of Dennis Kelly's other works as well. He is a very, very good modern writer. All the best of luck!!
    What day is your NYT audition next week? Mine's next week too!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 19, 2016
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.