Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you agree with Same-sex marriage? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you agree with Same-sex Marriage?
    Yes!
    77.34%
    NO!!!
    22.66%

ReputationRep:
    live and let live imo
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Skeptique)
    I was rushing
    I also ref http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/45962.php
    I'll have a look over that tonight, cheers.

I dont understand your tone (if they say so; then it is). Tell me what is soooooooo superior about you, that you get to override someones choice to not be gay if they dont want to? and tell them that they are too stupid to know who they should have sex with? [that you know better and you choose homosexuality for them]???

Your cynical response could easily be reversed to argue the opposite viewpoint.
    "Right, because that's clearly nothing to do with the kind of attitude where people tell them it's normal and should be embraced. And we obviously shouldn't be doing anything to combat such an ignorant attitude."

So I combat your ignorance - its a sickness if its not chosen but present. Thats called a syndrome. Whether your gay worshiping self accepts it or not.
    Well, to give the short answer - it's not a choice. So by absolutely no means am I saying people should 'choose' to be gay if they don't want to be. What I'm saying is those that are gay and unhappy about it, it's extremely probably that a contributing factor to it is the continued comments from people who think that it's wrong and that they have some kind of sickness, as you put it. I've made absolutely no comment on who people should or should not have sex with - indeed my argument here is simply that people who are gay should be free to live their lives without being told that it's in some way wrong to be that way.

It isn't anything to do with that though; telling someone it's okay to be homosexual isn't going to cause them to feel there is something wrong with them, they just might not agree with you. On the other hand, telling someone being gay is a sickness, it's abnormal etc. has a pretty significant chance of making someone feel bad for who they are, if it's repeated often enough. I'd argue that that wasn't cynical in the slightest - it's the same as with pretty much any negative comment or intent; if it's said often enough, or by enough people, the person it's directed at will eventually start to believe it, whether or not it's based in any kind of truth.

Right, expect it isn't a sickness. Being straight isn't chosen, and it's present - so by the same logic, that's a sickness, though? If you can provide actual evidence that it's an illness of some kind, then I'll happily discuss that aspect with you - but thus far what you have given is evidence that it may have a genetic element, which is not the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    I'll have a look over that tonight, cheers.

Right, expect it isn't a sickness. Being straight isn't chosen, and it's present - so by the same logic, that's a sickness, though? If you can provide actual evidence that it's an illness of some kind, then I'll happily discuss that aspect with you - but thus far what you have given is evidence that it may have a genetic element, which is not the same thing.
    Theres so much wrong with what you've posted I cant pick it all out. I said 'syndrome' not sickness and who said being straight is a choice? I'm straight, I choose it but cant instigate my own heterosexuality, thats a fixed condition from the womb in my case. But in the unfortunate situation where an imbalance in hormones has produced same sex attraction on a cellular level in opposition to someones genetic disposition and that individual makes a choice in contradiction to their desires [inflicted upon them by someone else (their mother) then that is a syndrome acquired in their first environment - the womb.

http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/r...-29-2000a.html
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Theres so much wrong with what you've posted I cant pick it all out. I said 'syndrome' not sickness and who said being straight is a choice? I'm straight, I choose it but cant instigate my own heterosexuality, thats a fixed condition from the womb in my case. But in the unfortunate situation where an imbalance in hormones has produced same sex attraction on a cellular level in opposition to someones genetic disposition and that individual makes a choice in contradiction to their desires [inflicted upon them by someone else (their mother) then that is a syndrome acquired in their first environment - the womb. http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/r...-29-2000a.html
    You explicitly used the word sickness - '"it's a sickness if it's present but not a choice".

Nobody said being straight was a choice, I literally said the opposite. You commented about people choosing not to be gay, I was pointing out that it isn't a choice.

"Someone makes a choice in contradiction to their desires" - that's exactly what you're saying people should do, not me. You brought up letting people choose a different sexuality instead us telling them that being gay is normal; you seem to be arguing against yourself now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coollad1999)
    1) the world is perfectly made, earthquakes, poisonous plants all have a purpose, otherwise God would not put them there. We just do not know the purpose yet.
    2) There are numerous accounts of Jesus performing miracles. The Bible for example.
    3) I am not full of pride because I have humbled myself and have realised that there is only one perfect being. This is God, who took on a human form as Jesus to die for our sins so that we will be saved.
    1. So there is a purpose to causing so much much to so many innocent children and animals? If so, what kind of a cruel God would be running this world? Hardly the all loving beneficent one we are led to believe.

2. The bible is not an accurate source if evidence, outside evidence is necessary.

3. But why Jesus? Why not Allah, or Zeus, or Hera, or Hashem, or any of the other thousands of different Gods which people have believed in? What gives you the monopoly on truth?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoping4Astars)
    Actually, the fabric rule was only made as a ceremonial rule for ancient Israel, not for a Christian. It is not a moral rule, and Christians do not have to respect this rule.
    Check out http://www.gotquestions.org/differen...of-fabric.html for more information on this if you wish. This also applies to the no shaving rule. However, homosexuality is condemned in both the Old and New Testament, so it is wrong.
    Really? Is that all you got?

What about the other aspects? Like shaving your hair? Why did you ignore these?

I could go on to say why homosexuality is NOT condemned by St Paul, but I have done numerous times on here and i doubt you'd understand either way. Unless you have the very original test itself, you cannot use these arguments.

(Original post by hoping4Astars)
    People who are against homosexuality are not hateful of homosexuals. We want to help them. We believe that encouraging them to receive Christ and repent from their sins will help them to refrain from trying to offend God, which will improve their lives. In my opinion, it is much better to help the sinner to remove his problem rather than encouraging the sin by installing laws like gay marriage and civil partnerships.
    I think that the people who want gay marriage are actually more hateful since they want the homosexuals to be led into thinking that their sin is acceptable instead of helping them to lead better lives.
    There have been many conversion attempts by Christian lunatics - guess what, all have failed. Homosexuality as a concept (because the word is literally very young, which I doubt you knew) existed long before Christianity was merely conceived as an idea. It very much is not up to Christianity (or any other religion for that matter) to change that.

Homosexuals are just fine - the only thing that is dangerous is people like you who decide to hurt, insult or even kill those poor souls for simply LOVING the same sex. Like what the hell? It's none of your business whether their lives are are good or not. It's up to them to evaluate it. So, live your own life and stop meddling into other people's affairs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saxsan4)
    It doesn't harm anyone, Love is love and it is taking away rights from the LGBT community.
    I love same sex marriages, but I don't like it when they get married in a church.

ReputationRep:
    Reading some of these posts is just... Sin? Repent? Vile?

Humanity is so confined by its own constructions, some very outdated ! At least most people use rationality and logic to consider what is right and wrong, but still scary this kind of thought still exists.

In general though, there has been a big improvement in the last 50 years for the treatment of LGBTs, big positive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    I love same sex marriages, but I don't like it when they get married in a church.
    The religion the church belongs to has to agree with same sex marriage for that to happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwilym101)
    The religion the church belongs to has to agree with same sex marriage for that to happen.
    Yes I know that, If gays want to get married in a church then they can but I REALLY prefer if they didn't. Why would you get married in a place and condemns you so much and threatens you to burn in a hot firey place for the rest of your life for desires with the same sex? would be so much better if they got married in a palace, beach, for something better than a church.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elliemayxo)
    Because I think marriage should be between a man and a woman.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    lol

ReputationRep:
    None of my business and none of anyones, it doesn't effect you all in the least.

ReputationRep:
    No. It is the way I am the way i was brought up to be totally against it. It is glorifying being a homo

ReputationRep:
    Why should a couple that can't have children get government subsidies ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by demx9)
    Why should a couple that can't have children get government subsidies ?
    Gays can adopt?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZZTop1)
    Should not be allowed. A child gets qualities from both the mother and father. With no mother it does not get the qualities the mother would give it. Also they are responsible for AIDS.
    What qualities?!
    Also you are responsible for stupidity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZZTop1)
    No. It is the way I am the way i was brought up to be totally against it. It is glorifying being a homo
    You just openly admitted that you regurgitated your parents opinions rather than thinking for yourself. Well done for being brainwashed and robotic. Have fun being controlled and manipulated by your parents 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    Gays can adopt?
    yea, rather not

ReputationRep:
    This is a discussion? :erm:

Well it's civil rights so why not.

My opinions on homosexuality specifically, none of your business

ReputationRep:
    Let people marry whoever the hell they want and mind your own f**king business.

I'm straight and that's how I see it.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.