The Student Room Group

GAMSAT 2016 (2017 entry)

Scroll to see replies

I've just checked my scores from the March sitting.. Please don't take this as an unforgivable degree of detachment or disinterest! Either way, my 60 overall seems a pleasant surprise. Good comes to those who wait, but I don't want to spin off on a spiral of misplaced hope.

Does anyone have recent knowledge of Plymouth's thresholds? Perhaps from offers this year?

Without the evidence of potential seemingly now in hand, I have a UCAS Track full of rejection from this year. I hadn't applied to any GAMSAT schools, as I'd focused on UKCAT & BMAT.

Any tips on the chances of cashing in this result for a clearing place? Even rocking horses have to go sometimes.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by snakeystick
I've just checked my scores from the March sitting.. Please don't take this as an unforgivable degree of detachment or disinterest! Either way, my 60 overall seems a pleasant surprise. Good comes to those who wait, but I don't want to spin off on a spiral of misplaced hope.

Does anyone have recent knowledge of Plymouth's thresholds? Perhaps from offers this year?

Without the evidence of potential seemingly now in hand, I have a UCAS Track full of rejection from this year. I hadn't applied to any GAMSAT schools, as I'd focused on UKCAT & BMAT.

Any tips on the chances of cashing in this result for a clearing place? Even rocking horses have to go sometimes.

These were the scores I received via email from Plymouth for 2016 entry.

Section One 51
Section Two 52
Section Three 60
Overall Score 64

(I think they scored it like that because it rhymes)
(edited 7 years ago)

Medicine almost never goes into clearing as the courses are massively in demand. So you may have to wait until next year. I might even suggest the September sitting to try and gain a few more points.

Exeter cut off this year was 60. No breakdown of sections (the only reason I got a place, as I got 49 in section 3 but 61 overall). I think Swansea was 58. Notts 60?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 403
What is St.Georges cut off now? Do they use alternate weighting for scores?

Did anyone hear of somebody transferring while on medical degree (5 year) to 4 year??
Original post by Themightylaa
Either the highest scores seem to have originated from these forums or the March GAMSAT scores were very high overall which may push up the 2016 cut-offs, time will tell!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh god! Do you think so?...I thought they were similar to Septembers scores...And here I was hoping my 55 would be enough for Liverpool :frown:
Reply 405
Original post by NafNaf39
Oh god! Do you think so?...I thought they were similar to Septembers scores...And here I was hoping my 55 would be enough for Liverpool :frown:

The scores are calibrated- they don't go 'up and down'. A 60 in March is equivalent to 60 any other sitting. Threshold increases are dependent on schools and their applicants.
Original post by Nathman
What is St.Georges cut off now? Do they use alternate weighting for scores?

Did anyone hear of somebody transferring while on medical degree (5 year) to 4 year??
Both Notts and SGUL were at 60.

Yes, iirc.

No.

Original post by NafNaf39
In my opinion, it'll be fine.

They have waiting lists for this purpose, I do not think medicine will ever go to clearing.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sanity2016
I got a 55,69, 46=54 in the March gamsat, I know I stand little chance, so I'm taking the ukcat, (l615 average 2015).
I also got a place to study Pre reg MSc Nursing Sept 2016-2018.
Please can anyone advise:
1) I don't like nursing, I'm currently a HCA(since 2011).
2) I have a first class Msc.
3) I'm a mum of one, got a mortgage, and I'm 32 years old.
I am thinking about starting the MSc Nursing and then dropping out after I get a place in medicine 2017- ie hoping on higher Ukcat and gamsat September scores. I know this not responsible, but I hate being a HCA and medicine is where I see myself.
But I don't know how this will play out during the application/interview for medicine.
Can anyone advise please.

I think you said it yourself, it's not a responsible decision.
1) you don't like nursing so why do a course in nursing?
2) you already have a msc so it's not going to help your application
3) with a child and a mortgage how can you afford another year of student debt and lost earnings?
4) if you hate hca so much, how will medicine be different?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
quite pleased with my score... 66 in s3 even though i don't know any chemistry
Original post by Lisagee10
I think you said it yourself, it's not a responsible decision.
1) you don't like nursing so why do a course in nursing?
2) you already have a msc so it's not going to help your application
3) with a child and a mortgage how can you afford another year of student debt and lost earnings?
4) if you hate hca so much, how will medicine be different?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with points 1 to 3. But being an HCA is nothing like being a doctor so that is not a fair comparison. As for hating nursing I can understand that (I am a nurse). Nursing and medicine are both healthcare but different jobs, different priorities, different responsibilities, different hierarchy different mindset. Chalk and cheese as far as I am concerned and that's why I am off to study medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Actually St George's is only using the GAMSAT way of calculating scores (A+B+2C)/3 --- or at least that's what they told me when I emailed a couple of months ago. And if you have a 2.2 and a masters you only need to hit the lower threshold.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks lyra, wishing you all the best
With your studies, I'm OP and now know what to do. I love the fact that I've gained the experience, I enjoy helping patients, I just don't enjoy working with nurses, the attitude is annoying, not saying all nurses are the same but their pettiness I find unbearable. I don't think the level of academics suits me.
Thanks

Owch, that stings. Would advise you not to voice these views at interview. Good luck with your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Cheers Lisa, all the best with medical school. It's good to have realistic expectations of medicine---** above comment

Not sure what you mean by this post in relation to the above.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by endzone123
quite pleased with my score... 66 in s3 even though i don't know any chemistry

wow thats awesome! Did you attempt all of the physics questions?
Original post by Nomad_22
....... Wow! Average 71, with 69, 75, 71 in S,1,2 & 3 respectively! Didn't think I could even reach the 70's after getting 58 last summer!

Your grade can definitely improve if you work smart :biggrin:

Well done! Wow! How did you work smart? Please any advice would be appreciated. I'm planning to take the exam this Sept for 2017 entry.
Anyone know more about BDS gamsat requirements at plymouth? The cut off's seem surprisingly low. Also i'm not sure about the degree classification requirements - on the gamsat website it stated a first or 2:1 but on the automated email they stated only gamsat score is relevant. Thank you!
Hello everyone, I've just created an account and subscribed to this thread. It looks like some of you sat the exam in March and are getting results through now - congratulations to all who got through it! I hope you're satisfied with your results, or at least found it to be a useful experience.

I'm an arts graduate but I have an MSc in psychology. I'm planning on having my first go in London this September.

I'm trawling through the gold standard textbook at the moment, and it is HARD. I've been stuck on the maths chapter for longer than I'd like to admit (clue: for months).

Where are those of you without hard science backgrounds starting? I have some a level maths books, which seem to explain things much better than the gold standard book. I just want to skip to the biology sections without getting through all this maths and physics!
Original post by DelphiDeWitt
Wow. You must have a high IQ that's all I can say

Posted from TSR Mobile

What scores did you get?
Original post by thebaggedkoala
Hello everyone, I've just created an account and subscribed to this thread. It looks like some of you sat the exam in March and are getting results through now - congratulations to all who got through it! I hope you're satisfied with your results, or at least found it to be a useful experience.

I'm an arts graduate but I have an MSc in psychology. I'm planning on having my first go in London this September.

I'm trawling through the gold standard textbook at the moment, and it is HARD. I've been stuck on the maths chapter for longer than I'd like to admit (clue: for months).

Where are those of you without hard science backgrounds starting? I have some a level maths books, which seem to explain things much better than the gold standard book. I just want to skip to the biology sections without getting through all this maths and physics!

S3 is made up approximately as follows:
Chem 20%
Org Chem 20%
Bio 40%
Physics 20%

Therefore it is wise to prioritise Chem and Org Chem (because of similarities) along with Biology. In Sept 2015 it felt like the physics questions made up less than 20% of the section.

I used the GAMSAT Gold Standard book and found it extremely difficult at first too, Khan Academy on youtube helped quite a bit. But eventually you'll understand it all!

I'm a non-science grad (not done science since GCSE 10 years prior) and scored 50, 60, and 53 in S3 in the three GAMSAT exams I've sat.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending