Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

*MEGATHREAD* Interview discussion thread '15-'16 watch

• View Poll Results: Have you received any interview invitations yet + where?
    University of Bristol
    16.28%
    Cardiff University
    22.09%
    University of Southampton
    8.14%
    University of Nottingham
    18.60%
    University of Birmingham
    34.88%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekno)
    again, if the patient is competent and refusing blood transfusion, you must ensure they understand all the risks of not accepting it and suggest speaking to others in their religious group about getting it. If they final verdict is still no, you must accept it.
    But I read somewhere else that u can get a court order within 30 mins allowing u to perform the blood transfusion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekno)
    http://www.gmc-uk.org/guidance/ethic...ance_index.asp

these chapters explain it much better than I could
    so as long as they remain competent it would be ok?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekno)
    count me in too
    Me too. Are you planning to make a group or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookiemonster15)
    so as long as they remain competent it would be ok?
    competence is in relation of the procedure for children, so a 9 year old would be competent for having a plaster put on a small cut but would not be competent for life saving treatment such as blood transfusions i guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futureDOCTOR2k15)
    But I read somewhere else that u can get a court order within 30 mins allowing u to perform the blood transfusion
    this is if the child is not competent e.g. unconscious and the parents refuse to give consent for life saving treatment, then you can get a court order to get the treatment OR do the treatment if you can back up your actions to a court after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekno)
    this is if the child is not competent e.g. unconscious and the parents refuse to give consent for life saving treatment, then you can get a court order to get the treatment OR do the treatment if you can back up your actions to a court after.
    Lol thanks....you'll be op at the interview 👌🏽

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekno)
    competence is in relation of the procedure for children, so a 9 year old would be competent for having a plaster put on a small cut but would not be competent for life saving treatment such as blood transfusions i guess
    But I don't understand why this is the case? So even if the child know exactly what blood transfusion is, can outline the pro's and cons would still not be able to make this decision?

This topic is confusing me so much because I understand some cases where age doesn't matter as long as the child has competence but are there also other cases where something would be inappropriate for a child to have said procedure done on them but again age would not matter as long as the child has competence? Or are there distinct regulations that come with this? (I don't really think this paragraph makes sense)

ok, so if I take the above example which was posted, I know if a 14year old asks you for contraceptive and he/she is competent you do not inform anyone else of their choice, but would you follow by their requests? Bearing in mind the legal age is higher than 14?

Also, would this be the same case- as in you would not tell the parents- if the child was competent, but only 12 years old?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futureDOCTOR2k15)
    Lol thanks....you'll be op at the interview 👌🏽
    haha its such a grey area, knowing my luck I wont get asked about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekno)
    count me in too
    Me too. 🙋

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    But I don't understand why this is the case? So even if the child know exactly what blood transfusion is, can outline the pro's and cons would still not be able to make this decision?

This topic is confusing me so much because I understand some cases where age doesn't matter as long as the child has competence but are there also other cases where something would be inappropriate for a child to have said procedure done on them but again age would not matter as long as the child has competence? Or are there distinct regulations that come with this? (I don't really think this paragraph makes sense)

ok, so if I take the above example which was posted, I know if a 14year old asks you for contraceptive and he/she is competent you do not inform anyone else of their choice, but would you follow by their requests? Bearing in mind the legal age is higher than 14?

Also, would this be the same case- as in you would not tell the parents- if the child was competent, but only 12 years old?
    yeah i get where you're coming from, it's difficult because different scenarios will have different approaches to it.

In terms of sexual health, the doctors must follow the Fraser Guidelines which means that if the patient is likely to carry on having sexual activity with or without contraception, it's best to give it to them as it's important to promote safe sex.

If you can't convince them to involve their parents, you have to respect this unless they're in danger. "Young people are owed the same duties of care and confidentiality as adults"

This link has info about it http://www.fpa.org.uk/factsheets/und...onfidentiality

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tanishqa)
    Me too. 🙋

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Me three 🙋🏼

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekno)
    yeah i get where you're coming from, it's difficult because different scenarios will have different approaches to it.

In terms of sexual health, the doctors must follow the Fraser Guidelines which means that if the patient is likely to carry on having sexual activity with or without contraception, it's best to give it to them as it's important to promote safe sex.

If you can't convince them to involve their parents, you have to respect this unless they're in danger. "Young people are owed the same duties of care and confidentiality as adults"

This link has info about it http://www.fpa.org.uk/factsheets/und...onfidentiality
    oh, ok, that makes a bit more sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmed16)
    Me three 🙋🏼
    (Original post by Tanishqa)
    Me too. 🙋

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by temid)
    Me too. Are you planning to make a group or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Ekno)
    count me in too
    (Original post by madmed16)
    I'm definitely up for this too!!
    and cookiemonster15

Do we all have skype? Let's add each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToLiveInADream)
    and cookiemonster15

Do we all have skype? Let's add each other.
    eh, slight problem, don't have skype, for some reason it doesn't work properly on my laptop

ReputationRep:
    eh, slight problem, don't have skype, for some reason it doesn't work properly on my laptop
    Hmm I don't mind making a groupchat on whatsapp. But it depends, is everyone okay with that? It'll be purely interview prep and you can leave if you're uncomfortable

ReputationRep:
    I came across a question which said 'What branch of medicine interests you and why'

would you talk about what you would learn at uni or post degree once you actually are in work?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I don't mind making a groupchat on whatsapp. But it depends, is everyone okay with that? It'll be purely interview prep and you can leave if you're uncomfortable
    I feel like such an antisocial person, I don't have whatsapp either (never felt the need for it).....

But if this really becomes an issue, I can drop out

ReputationRep:
    Count me in!!!

ReputationRep:
    I feel like such an antisocial person, I don't have whatsapp either (never felt the need for it).....

But if this really becomes an issue, I can drop out
    Haha don't worry. We can just PM each other? I have a list of MMI questions I need to go through.

To all others, the groupchat offer is still on the table! Someone just PMed me, I need like 4 more people so we can have an active group chat.

ReputationRep:
    Haha don't worry. We can just PM each other? I have a list of MMI questions I need to go through.

To all others, the groupchat offer is still on the table! Someone just PMed me, I need like 4 more people so we can have an active group chat.
    Yeah that would be fine

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 21, 2016
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.