Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2016 watch

ReputationRep:
    Invites to Pump Court Tax first round are coming out by email - good luck if you're waiting to hear back.

ReputationRep:
    Also received an invite. This will be my first pupillage interview!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forum User)
    Invites to Pump Court Tax first round are coming out by email - good luck if you're waiting to hear back.
    lol how many "i've accepted an offer elsewhere" emails have you had to send today?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LegalLab)
    Also received an invite. This will be my first pupillage interview!
    Same - congrats all! Interviews on 8 Feb.

Had my first pupillage interview today at Quadrant and it lasted even less than the advertised 15mins (about 10mins). Also seems they were interviewing about 50-60 people 1st round, so that's a little scary

ReputationRep:
    I also have a Pump Court Tax invite. It was worth that last ditch app!

(Original post by LadyLaw23)
    Had my first pupillage interview today at Quadrant and it lasted even less than the advertised 15mins (about 10mins). Also seems they were interviewing about 50-60 people 1st round, so that's a little scary
    I thought the process was a bit strange to be honest. I thought there's no way they can distinguish between such a large group of people based on that extremely short interview.

Not sure about that one. Total lottery imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radebe91)
    I also have a Pump Court Tax invite. It was worth that last ditch app!

I thought the process was a bit strange to be honest. I thought there's no way they can distinguish between such a large group of people based on that extremely short interview.

Not sure about that one. Total lottery imo.
    Congrats

I know what you mean re Quadrant. My thinking is that whilst in previous years the first stage after apps was a test set, this year they invited the 50-60 best people for interview first to cut down on the test set candidates and are likely to just eliminate the ones that did the worst at interview, rather than trying to pick the best. Otherwise, as you said, it would be impossible to distinguish between that many people based on 10min interviews!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiny92)
    Ok - just curious whether I'm mad or not.

Have had 14 interviews or so in the past five months.

Been reserved at a set which offer around £30-40k for Pupillage and who want me on a mini Pupillage for a week- no idea what will come of it but they said they would like me over

Been offered Pupillage for a strict amount of 12k only in an area I'm not that favourable of.

Money isn't everything but I'm working for a top law firm on £22k a year in a region and living comfortably.

Have only passed my BPTC and can apply for another five years.

Should I A) accept offer? Take a loan in order to live in an area I don't know
    B) wait it out until I get something that will allow me to live more comfortably. As I am thankfully getting interviews and have been reserved twice.

Looking for advice. This will affect my life and isn't as simple as asking family for money. I'm independent and don't have any relations.
    The fact that you have been offered a mini-pupillage and held as reserve is quite unique. As such, they must really like you. If you would also be happier here it should work well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LegalLab)
    Just got an email from 3SB saying they are no longer offering pupillages for 2017!!!! :curious:

At least it was personally addressed, not that it's much consolation considering the time wasted making an application...

ReputationRep:
    Inner scholarships email. Made me smile.

You are receiving this email as we have noted that you have confirmed your attendance at your March BPTC scholarship interview. Please don’t confirm you’ve received this confirmation of your confirmation of interview as at a certain point the word confirmation is simply used too many times in one sentence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Inner scholarships email. Made me smile.
    Haha that's brilliant! Is that actually what it said?!

Has anyone heard anything from Lincoln's yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LadyLaw23)
    Haha that's brilliant! Is that actually what it said?!
    Yeah.

I think it's nice to see them show a sense of humour in the middle of a serious process

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Yeah.

I think it's nice to see them show a sense of humour in the middle of a serious process
    Definitely! I think it also shows that they're aware of some of the inevitable absurdities arising out of the various formal procedures, which is always good

ReputationRep:
    Cannot stress how helpful your Inn can be on your journey. Put as much back in as you can.

ReputationRep:
    Lovely letter from 5SB this morning confirming rejection.

The 3SB e-mail was a surprise: I wonder if the prospects aren't as rosy as they thought. Are they about to go the way of 11SB?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Best guppy)
    The 3SB e-mail was a surprise: I wonder if the prospects aren't as rosy as they thought. Are they about to go the way of 11SB?
    It might be that they advertise every year, but only take a pupil 60% of the time. Judging by members' date of call they don't offer a tenancy every year.

If that's right then it's definitely an annoying waste of time for applicants, but not a sign that they are about to fold.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, does anyone have any experience of Guildford Chambers interview? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Should I report this thread to the pupillage committee concerned? Or just mind my own business? Think probably the latter given that the poster will be impossible to identify anyway.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3877479

I am absolutely sure that it is an attempt to cheat, as it is almost identical to one of the paragraphs from the problem, with only the names, the value of the annual income, and the age changed. Also wtf at the poster's username...

(Original post by Forum Us3r)
    The problem below is driving me insane...

The remainder of my estate is to be held upon trust to bedivided equally between my step-daughter Lauren Smith and my son ThomasButcher, my daughter’s share to be held in a discretionary trust which willprovide her with an annual income of £33,000 to be paid monthly and myson’s share to be held in a discretionary trust until he reaches the age oftwenty-five. If either of the children predecease the other then their sharewill go to the surviving child.
    Despite it repeatedly stating discretionary trust this sounds like a fixed trust? I mean the object's are pretty set as is the amount. Even though it doesn't say it direct, Thomas's share should be the same as Lauren's i.e., £33,000 a year ?

Any thoughts on this would be very much appreciated.
    This is the paragraph from the pupillage problem - copied word for word from the copy in my possession:

(Original post by Final round pupillage problem from a commercial chancery set)
    The remainder of my estate is to be held upon trust to be divided equally between my step-daughter Patricia Dean and my son Simon Delauney, my daughter's share to be held in a discretionary trust which will provide her with an annual income of £25,000 to be paid monthly and my son's share to be held in a discretionary trust until he reaches the age of sixty two. If either of the children predecease the other then their share will go to the surviving child.

ReputationRep:
    I'd tend to say let them know, but I don't know how you'd identify the candidate, as you say.

I don't think he'll receive meaningful help with the question anyway, but perhaps make this same post in that thread, to be sure that no-one spends time accidentally helping someone to cheat?

edit: I see you have. In that case, I'd just leave it.

ReputationRep:
    That's so pathetic. If you can't answer that in hope of Pupillage go back to the learning board.

ReputationRep:
    Guys i need your advice,

Im a 19 year old university gap year applicant and will be attending LSE to do my law degree.

I want to ask why do you want to be a barrister?

Arent you ever afraid that you may not get clients and the stress of trying to win a case?

Additionally what if you were working on a high profile case- couldnt your opposition try to get you killed or harm your family?

Isnt the solicitor route more safe and secure?

Please help me,

Thank you

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.