Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    ABDV seems the sort of guy who'll keep going for his country until his service is no longer needed.

We should wrap this up before tea tomorrow.
    ...he says, as it takes roughly two hours to dispatch the remaining six.

Awesome bowling. Feel for Amla. Being a Test cricket captain is like being the manager in football rather than the captain. A lot don't make the transition and Amla is clearly struggling with something like no 50s in his last 10 Test matches. Smith was a much bigger character and a hard act to follow. Still doesn't diminish my respect for him. That 311 at The Oval will die hard in the memory.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Well, I knew it wouldn't last two sessions - but we've got them out in one. Happy days.

What made it more impressive from England is the fact they didn't toil for it. SA are in disarray, but we acted professionally and did the job we needed/were expected to do. Top marks to the lads, who have enjoyed a tumultuous 18 months but are clearly on the right track somewhere.

Moeen was great today. He really is a brilliant player, in terms of bits and pieces. Fair play to Finn - who is excellent and rapidly becoming a key part of our set-up - and Bairstow, who finally got a stumping.

We should wrap up this series, really. SA are far too reliant on Steyn, who will be playing no part in the second Test, and an increasingly under-pressure Amla, who is toiling with the captaincy right now, while they are also without Philander.

I thought England were far too reliant on Anderson, but it has proved the opposite. Broad has thrived without him - in the Ashes, for that remarkable spell, and now in SA - and I'm pleased to get Jimmy back for the second Test, but Broad/Finn shows there is life without him.

Also, just a quick note on Compton. In a match with low scores, he was crucial. With Cook misfiring, he was integral to our strength at the crease.

ReputationRep:
    This year promises to be a good one for all things cricket related. A few big series' are happening during it, which includes Australia and England coming to India for a full test and ODI series (I think), which is what I am most looking forward to, as well as the T20 World Cup being held in India. Hoping for a close but entertaining tournament where India are the victors :lol:

Looking forward to see if Kane Williamson, ABDV, Steven Smith and Joe Root (haven't included Kohli cause I don't think he had the best of years, to be honest) can carry their dominance to the next year.

Loads of records were broken in 2015, so it will be interesting to see if there are many more to be broken this year, too.

ReputationRep:
    Pakistan tour to England in the summer, the first time since 2010 and that spot-fixing scandal which am sure will be the main focus for the build up and Amir, who has been included in Pakistan's ODI and T20 squads for the tour to New Zealand.

No Yasir Shah for the series is another big blow, was looking forward to his challenge on bowling over here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    South africa look like a defeated team already. Expect root and Compton to punish them in the last session.

ReputationRep:
    Think Newlands is my favourite ground in world cricket. Definitely on my bucket list.

Quite like the look of Rabada, looks nippy. Morris is nothing to worry about, imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JRP95)
    South africa look like a defeated team already. Expect root and Compton to punish them in the last session.
    They've left that responsibility to Ben Stokes and Jonny Bairstow. Let's hope England can get to 400 by tomorrow lunchtime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Wavefunction)
    Think Newlands is my favourite ground in world cricket. Definitely on my bucket list.

Quite like the look of Rabada, looks nippy. Morris is nothing to worry about, imo.
    I love Rabada. He's got such a smooth action, could watch him all day. The concern is that, as a black African in South African cricket, he'll be asked to play too much at an early age. You'd think for a few years he could develop at a good pace behind Steyn, Morkel, Philander and maybe Abbott, but race is obviously very important in South Africa and will influence selection. It'd massively help Rabada's development if Bavuma establishes himself in the side.

England going well. Bairstow is having a great series with the bat so far, looks like a strong no.7 rather than a weak no.5. Wasn't sold on picking him ahead of Buttler but he's doing really well. If Hales, Compton or Root had gone on and made big centuries we'd be looking at 500+ and potentially only batting once, but we should still get 400+ from this position.

ReputationRep:
    Woah, another cricketer dies. Matt Hobden, aged only 22. He actually played for my club

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louis.)
    Last thread almost took 4 years.

Prediction: in 4 years time Ben Stokes will have the highest batting average in history, the lowest bowling average, and will be the undisputed GOAT.

Quote me.
    The prophecy :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alrounder79)
    Woah, another cricketer dies. Matt Hobden, aged only 22. He actually played for my club
    We can only imagine what his family are going through and our thoughts should be with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    They've left that responsibility to Ben Stokes and Jonny Bairstow. Let's hope England can get to 400 by tomorrow lunchtime.
    I did say by lunchtime, not the drinks break. This is embarrassing for South Africa. Just hope that we can bowl them out twice.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Ben Stokes does what he waaaants

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Second fastest double century by Stokes! Brilliant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Stokes you beauuuuuuttttttyyyyyy - classic ramiz raja

ReputationRep:
    Remember when all the KP lovers were saying they couldn't wait for SA to go through England. I'm looking at you Graeme smith.

ReputationRep:
    Well, that's the end of SA's dominance in test cricket
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Ginger ninjas. What a performance

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Things get worse for SA.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Only positive for SA? Amla regaining some form. He really needed that half century.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.