Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hunnybeebee)
    Anyone have any tips for revision and for the exam to get the highest marks? I revise and do past papers etc but I'm constantly being caught out by ocr on silly questions and the the lost marks do add up

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Have a list of buzzwords that you need to include for certain answers

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Helloo, does anyone have links to buffer solution questions??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hunnybeebee)
    Anyone have any tips for revision and for the exam to get the highest marks? I revise and do past papers etc but I'm constantly being caught out by ocr on silly questions and the the lost marks do add up

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would recommend going through mark schemes and highlighting key terms/phrases and then maybe making some flash cards to revise from. Also try practising 'application questions' from other exam boards as sometimes OCR throw these in to put people out of their comfort zones and test if they actually understand concepts and mechanisms and are not just memorising the text book.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sfarquhar0)
    I would recommend going through mark schemes and highlighting key terms/phrases and then maybe making some flash cards to revise from. Also try practising 'application questions' from other exam boards as sometimes OCR throw these in to put people out of their comfort zones and test if they actually understand concepts and mechanisms and are not just memorising the text book.

Good luck!
    what do you mean with application questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ranz)
    what do you mean with application questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Any question which requires more than just rote recall from the specification. Taking F324 June 2015 as an example, questions 2(b), 2(c), 2(d)(i) (second box only), 3(c)(ii) and 4(d) cannot be answered from the specification alone; instead they require application of knowledge learnt on the course.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please tell me how to calculate the enthalpy change of combustion and the enthalpy change of formation when given a table? I always get confused from which calculation of enthalpies do I need to take away the sum of products from the sum of the reactants!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone tried using questions from other exam boards as revision?
    I spent a little while looking through AQA's syllabus and I noticed that on certain topics the syllabus was practically identical. I read through a pack of AQA's acid/base questions and it seemed really useful, though the questions are of a different style. I wondered whether having a broader perspective of how questions may be asked may be helpful, as it seems that every year people complain that the exam was unusual. Any thoughts appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by seph_muriel)
    Can someone please tell me how to calculate the enthalpy change of combustion and the enthalpy change of formation when given a table? I always get confused from which calculation of enthalpies do I need to take away the sum of products from the sum of the reactants!!!!
    Products minus reactants

I just quickly draw a Hess' cycle, and remember that formation arrows go up

(Original post by pineneedles)
    Has anyone tried using questions from other exam boards as revision?
    I spent a little while looking through AQA's syllabus and I noticed that on certain topics the syllabus was practically identical. I read through a pack of AQA's acid/base questions and it seemed really useful, though the questions are of a different style. I wondered whether having a broader perspective of how questions may be asked may be helpful, as it seems that every year people complain that the exam was unusual. Any thoughts appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've never really looked at AQA questions but I'm fairly sure some of the tests my sixth form set had AQA questions on them. They didn't seem to different...
    Have you got any access to Hodder questions? They're challenging apparently

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    I've never really looked at AQA questions but I'm fairly sure some of the tests my sixth form set had AQA questions on them. They didn't seem to different...
    Have you got any access to Hodder questions? They're challenging apparently
    Yeah, that's what I thought when I was looking through. No, I haven't, Ive not heard of those. I have access to the regular past papers and the old syllabus stuff. Our teachers gave us these old syllabus multiple choice papers that were really challenging too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why do alcohols not react with bases but the OH in phenol does?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AqsaMx)
    I'd recommend sitting down and reading through the book regularly so you can improve your overall understanding of the chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile

I believe it's because a lone pair on the oxygen atom is partially delocalised into the phenol delocalised ring, so the oxygen loses some of it's electron density and donates the proton more easily. Something like that.

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/organicpr...l/acidity.html
    Essentially describes what EricPiphany said
    (Original post by thad33)
    I'd recommend sitting down and reading through the book regularly so you can improve your overall understanding of the chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I do that the day before the exam

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have a link to any websites with past paper exam questions separated into topics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Walkerz7)
    Does anyone have a link to any websites with past paper exam questions separated into topics?
    Have fun!

http://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk/OC...0A%20home.html

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  503.8 KB

Can anyone explain why the second structure is opened??

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  503.8 KB

Can anyone explain why the second structure is opened??
    Look at the last page to understand, it has little clues when it talks about the FeBr3 halogen carrier. It's open as Br must be on the ends in order to react with benzene correctly, if it was closed and had Br attached (like 1,2-dibromocyclohexane) it would not react.

Lol I did the jan 13 f325

I didn't even know what I was doing half the time...

I think I really need to practise equations involving the oxidation of metals

ReputationRep:
    I keep on getting high Bs in every unit 5 paper. How do i get an A. The thing thats usually trips me up are constructing equations.
    BTW How do i get an A* in chem like ums wise??

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 26, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.