Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Ask Her Majesty's Government – Parliament XXIII

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    You are such a moron… :facepalm: They violated the coalition agreement! If you weren't so daft, you'd know that it would be them to ‘lose’ if this were IRL, and that's exactly what will happen to you all once you're forced to leave the safe space of your mum's basement or SJW-ruled university. This here practically doesn't matter.
    I thought you were going to ignore me. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    The new Transport Secretary (Chris Grayling) has annoucned recently that he is backing the proposed HS2 Project. Does the Secretary of State for Infrastructure believe the project is worth going ahead with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    The new Transport Secretary (Chris Grayling) has annoucned recently that he is backing the proposed HS2 Project. Does the Secretary of State for Infrastructure believe the project is worth going ahead with?
    I strongly support HS2 and HS3.

ReputationRep:
    Crikey.

I applaud Joel and joe for abiding to principles and refusing a whip against their beliefs. Admirable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Crikey.

I applaud Joel and joe for abiding to principles and refusing a whip against their beliefs. Admirable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're applauding them for violating the coalition agreement, ignoring a constitutional convention, and generally playing against their own team for nothing but a petulant act of defiance against a bill that has no real effect since this is all just a game. Is that what's commendable and admirable in the Labour party?

All potential coalition partners, watch out!

ReputationRep:
    You're applauding them for violating the coalition agreement, ignoring a constitutional convention, and generally playing against their own team for nothing but a petulant act of defiance against a bill that has no real effect since this is all just a game. Is that what's commendable and admirable in the Labour party?

Since its got you pissed?

You bet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Since its got you pissed?

You bet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So you're partisan, petulant, what else? :laugh:

I'm not pissed, mate. I would be pissed if it were for real, but like I said, the bill would have no real effect anyway. However, one has to enforce the rules even if it's just within a game and the betrayal itself was still quite real.

ReputationRep:

The house is about standing up for what you belive in and creating a country you want to live in,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    The house is about standing up for what you belive in and creating a country you want to live in,
    Right, hence you proposed a military action to protect some birds. #aphtheliberal

ReputationRep:
    Right, hence you proposed a military action to protect some birds. #aphtheliberal
    I though it was fauna, not a bird.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I though it was fauna, not a bird.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Bird, insect, or his uncle plankton, it was something incredibly daft.

ReputationRep:
    It was a joke I was trying to parody a stereotypical green...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    You do realise that your serious ideas are so mental that nobody believes your "jokes" are jokes, whether that be war over fauna/birds/ whatever, or culling the elderly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Your sense of humour totally goes with your personality.

ReputationRep:
    Aph has my full support (roots around for a book containing information on Syrian wildlife).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Aph has my full support (roots around for a book containing information on Syrian wildlife).
    "Around 3,100 species of flowering plant have been recorded in Syria as well as about 100 gymnosperms."

#SaveTheFlowers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoggyCabbages)
    "Around 3,100 species of flowering plant have been recorded in Syria as well as about 100 gymnosperms."

#SaveTheFlowers
    *SaphTheFlowers.

ReputationRep:
    Announcement

Following the recent issues within the government, I'm pleased to announce that the situation is now stable and we're ready to move on and back to work.

I'd like to make a few appointments to complete the Cabinet: PetrosAC has become the new Foreign Secretary, TitanCream has taken over the Ministry of Justice, MattElves is the new Health Secretary, and Tommy1boy is now in charge of the Department for Work and Pensions.

Although we never set a deadline for releasing a budget in stone and stated a period of 3 months instead of 90 days as our target, the budget is almost complete and ready to be released in the upcoming days. However, the progress was halted over the last several days while we dealt with the minor crisis, therefore it may be a couple of days late. I trust that members of the Opposition won't be overly punctual and attempt to use the delay over our projected soft target to fuel their petty anti-government agenda.

Thank you for your attention!
    Mister Prime Minister

ReputationRep:
    I have discovered evidence to prove the Liberal MPs are not the only MPs breaking the coalition agreement, there are Conservative MPs breaking the agreement.

(Original post by Saracen's Fez on behalf of Life_peer)

I have a statement from the PM:

Statement from the Prime Minister addressing the MoNC
    I would like to begin by acknowledging some of the issues of the current government, especially since I remember how irritating it was when the previous government members refused to accept even partial responsibility for their poor performance over a longer period of time (you can revisit the situation here).

I admit and regret that our output hasn't been brilliant. Indeed, two government bills in 47 days is a disappointing score and something that needs to change, especially since our election manifestos and the coalition agreement are full of good policies. The coalition agreement also requires every Secretary of State to produce a Statement of Intent in the first 60 days and as I said, the mythical budget should be ready in the first 90 days.

Unfortunately, we've been faced with the exam period and although some members of the government have had time to debate and vote, they seem to be too busy to write bills—myself included—due to various exams, presentations, theses, and other academic and professional obligations.

I personally assume responsibility for letting a Statement of Intent sit in the government forum for about two weeks, having too little time to research a complex topic in order to provide comments on an important policy which could otherwise have been implemented by now, and of course not leading by example since my bill output sits at zero despite plans to produce a couple of items. For this, I apologise and although it may seem like a cheap excuse, I haven't been this busy IRL in two years. The only reason I keep coming online to debate others' bills is that I realise being the PM is a huge commitment.

As for other members, I've been trying to boost activity in a number of ways but so far to no considerable avail, which reaffirms my belief that people are not lazy, but genuinely busy, and as those of you in leadership positions may know, it is extremely difficult to persuade people to put the MHoC above their RL commitments. I'm sure you also realise that these periods tend to come in cycles and that momentary decrease in production may change rapidly, which I believe should happen soon, due to this MoNC which we all take very seriously.

Nevertheless, I do not believe that these issues are a sufficient reason for an MoNC and would like to ask the truly honourable members to consider the circumstances and give us a chance to make amends. The government voting record is very high and most of us take active part in debates whenever we can and the topic is at least marginally interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    I have discovered evidence to prove the Liberal MPs are not the only MPs breaking the coalition agreement, there are Conservative MPs breaking the agreement.
    True, the original coalition agreement stated that each SoS had to produce an SoI in the first 60 days but since both parties have members who failed to do that, we basically agreed to amend the agreement and change this. A deadline for the budget wasn't defined. You are nevertheless right that at one point, I said 90 days instead of 3 months, although again not as a definitive sharp deadline.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: October 27, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.