AQA Biology AS New Spec - 26th May and 7th June

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got the mark scheme?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GabbytheGreek_48)
    yeah so many different answers were possible
    Overall I found the paper so hard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilyjacks)
    Overall I found the paper so hard
    hopefully it wasnt as bad as we thought and the hard work pays off

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else notice all the questions were from the first two chapters...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epitype)
    RNA has Uracil
    RNA has Ribose Sugar
    RNA is single stranded
    completely forgot they had different sugars!! I put that DNA has a double helix, thymine instead of uracile and then for the last one put that RNA contains no introns as it has been spliced. Do you think I'd get the mark for that cause its technically not wrong, but I don't think thats the kind of structural differences they were looking for

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 10moxoma)
    what was the calibration curve about? anyone get an answer?
    I didn't have a clue! I literally just explained how to plot a graph using the results!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 10moxoma)
    hey for one of the differences between rna and dna I said that rna was shorter, do you think I'll get the mark?
    I said the same, yes RNA is a LOT shorter

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone put together an unofficial mark scheme

ReputationRep:
    same
    (Original post by TeenageKillaTurt)
    If someone finds a unofficial mark scheme could you send me the link please?

ReputationRep:
    I put that aswell, the only test i could think of. I even explained that they could compare the colour change cuased by enzymes. i think we're completely wrong though, nothing to do with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SM-)
    How many for full ums do you guys think?
    From what I've seen from previous past papers expect 100 UMS to be low, but due to the new spec you can't be sure.

Last time I looked 100 UMS was at 80-85% and an A could be as low as 62% which I think is a fair estimate as that was tricky paper that was very focused on a few topics with a lot of application about them.

It was quite an unorthodox paper and I really doubt that many people's answers are going to adhere to the obscure mark schemes AQA seem to come up with so I'd say expect 100 UMS at about 80% and an A at 70% as the VERY highest it could possibly be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saulgreen)
    completely forgot they had different sugars!! I put that DNA has a double helix, thymine instead of uracile and then for the last one put that RNA contains no introns as it has been spliced. Do you think I'd get the mark for that cause its technically not wrong, but I don't think thats the kind of structural differences they were looking for
    Yeye, the introns stuff is just as much about structure as anything else

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theforeigner)
    From what I've seen from previous past papers expect 100 UMS to be low, but due to the new spec you can't be sure.

Last time I looked 100 UMS was at 80-85% and an A could be as low as 62% which I think is a fair estimate as that was tricky paper that was very focused on a few topics with a lot of application about them.

It was quite an unorthodox paper and I really doubt that many people's answers are going to adhere to the obscure mark schemes AQA seem to come up with so I'd say expect 100 UMS at about 80% and an A at 70% as the VERY highest it could possibly be.
    I agree - It was an odd paper because of how focused on enzymes etc. Also, the mark scheme could give very odd answers and not accept the default waffle on enzymes ie. tertiary structure and instead throw a massive curveball in.

I wouldn't say the biology in the paper was hard, just the wording of the questions and how specific they were.

The next paper has two 5 markers so a huge opportunity to earns marks there through pure knowledge recall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcmulkin_1)
    Did anyone else notice all the questions were from the first two chapters...
    Yeah from what I remember it literally had lipids, proteins and enzymes, a tiny bit of DNA (and an even smaller bit of ATP) and then some mixed bits of the cells.

I think since the first paper contains only shorter answer questions (up to 4 marks) they're leaving mass transport and genetics to the second paper as they can ask a lot of long answer questions there, especially in mass transport (humans most likely).

I think the papers are going to have an even split where the first paper was about the first two topics and the second should be about the last two even though that's not supposed to happen anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyFool229)
    I agree - It was an odd paper because of how focused on enzymes etc. Also, the mark scheme could give very odd answers and not accept the default waffle on enzymes ie. tertiary structure and instead throw a massive curveball in.

I wouldn't say the biology in the paper was hard, just the wording of the questions and how specific they were.

The next paper has two 5 markers so a huge opportunity to earns marks there through pure knowledge recall
    Exactly it was simple biological knowledge with some badly worded questions, plus I write slow so I didn't have time to formulate well worded answers.

I agree that they're going to take the usual wording out of the mark schemes so they can lower the mean mark and therefore the boundaries so I think a horrible mark scheme way too specific for 'suggest' questions is going to come up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theforeigner)
    Yeah from what I remember it literally had lipids, proteins and enzymes, a tiny bit of DNA (and an even smaller bit of ATP) and then some mixed bits of the cells.

I think since the first paper contains only shorter answer questions (up to 4 marks) they're leaving mass transport and genetics to the second paper as they can ask a lot of long answer questions there, especially in mass transport (humans most likely).

I think the papers are going to have an even split where the first paper was about the first two topics and the second should be about the last two even though that's not supposed to happen anymore.
    but it happens because AQA logic and yeah my teacher said pay attention to wat didnt come on but dont forget that the stuff might come up again soo dont just ignore the stuff that came up already

ReputationRep:
    I missed out 2 whole pages on a table of results and something about serial dilution :bawling: 😭 I'm so screwed I got the statistics question wrong too and whatever the question was after that 😭😭

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funkykid295)
    I missed out 2 whole pages on a table of results and something about serial dilution :bawling: 😭 I'm so screwed I got the statistics question wrong too and whatever the question was after that 😭😭
    What did they ask on serial dilution bruh

ReputationRep:
    On the HIV qs about semi- conservative replication I out DNA-HELICASE breaks hydrogen bonds separating strands. DNA-Polymerase binds RNA-polynucleotides to DNA template strand. Did anyone else out anything similar????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemauricien)
    What did they ask on serial dilution bruh
    I think there was something on it but I'm not sure because I didn't have time to look because as soon as I realised I missed the pages the invidulator took my paper 😭😭 I was legit crying lol

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.