The Student Room Group

3C and 4C Government and Politics 2016

Scroll to see replies

guys, is the question "a political, not a judicial institution" similar to "the power of the supreme court can't be justified in a democracy"?

For example, could you write about the fact that the judiciary has certain powers which can be seen as undemocratic/too political?
Original post by Plast12
Below are some Essay plans I've done (still doing the 45 mark plans for unit 3 so not finished the document), not all of them are amazing because some questions are disgusting.

I also put together a document of examples, it's not all the examples you need to know but a lot of those ones are recent.

I only have Unit 3 stuff right now, I'm still working on my unit 4 ones, but seeing as unit 3 is sooner I've done a lot more.

I'll post some unit 4 stuff when I've done a bit more of it :smile:

These were the most helpful resources for unit 3, thank you so much! Do you have any for unit 4? :smile:
Original post by sakuraasakii
guys, is the question "a political, not a judicial institution" similar to "the power of the supreme court can't be justified in a democracy"?

For example, could you write about the fact that the judiciary has certain powers which can be seen as undemocratic/too political?

- It would be things like how justices are nominated by the President who is obvs a political figure.
- Appointments go through the senate - political
- Reflecting the ideology of those who nominated them.
- Polarisation.
- Social issues going through SC rather than constitutional ones = political decision.
- SC legislating = political

Then you would go on to how it's judicial...
Original post by imaaniee
- It would be things like how justices are nominated by the President who is obvs a political figure.
- Appointments go through the senate - political
- Reflecting the ideology of those who nominated them.
- Polarisation.
- Social issues going through SC rather than constitutional ones = political decision.
- SC legislating = political

Then you would go on to how it's judicial...

ah, I see, thank you! :smile: I'm so worried for 4C :frown:
Was the wording of the party decline question assess the arguments in favour? I thought it was just something like outline and so I only wrote the arguments for party decline.
Has anyone got any predictions for 4C?

I'm guessing
Constitution: federalism
Congress: either local/ national factors or checks and balances
Presidency: lame duck
Reply 408
Original post by Tezcatlipoca12
Was the wording of the party decline question assess the arguments in favour? I thought it was just something like outline and so I only wrote the arguments for party decline.

Assess the arguments of the theory for party decline.

I think it was this.

#1) "A political, not a judicial institution"
=> Focus should be on whether the Supreme Court is political or not

#2) "The power of the Supreme Court can't be justified in a Democracy"
=> Focus should be on whether the Supreme Court are democratic or not

I'm sure we were supposed to provide evidence to illustrate party decline taking place..?
Original post by Lion467
I'm sure we were supposed to provide evidence to illustrate party decline taking place..?

I just wrote 3 of the arguments that were in the textbook, I said about losing control of nominations, rise in split-ticket and independent voting and the rise of new media which has negated the role that party's played in communicating between voters and members of Congress. Didn't write anything about party renewal because I didn't realise you had to.
I just wrote 3 of the arguments that were in the textbook, I said about losing control of nominations, rise in split-ticket and independent voting and the rise of new media which has negated the role that party's played in communicating between voters and members of Congress. Didn't write anything about party renewal because I didn't realise you had to.

I don't remember the question but i'm sure I read it clearly...oh well- results day will tell
Original post by Lion467
I don't remember the question but i'm sure I read it clearly...oh well- results day will tell

Same for me I'm sure it was the type where you just describe the arguments for one side but I guess maybe it was assess.
ah, I see, thank you! :smile: I'm so worried for 4C :frown:

You're welcome! Yeah me too because I need to make up for how 3c went and at this rate I don't think that's possible
what is this whole lame duck thing and what would you write for it? sorry very confused atm
Original post by GCSEgirl13
what is this whole lame duck thing and what would you write for it? sorry very confused atm

This is an article explaining Lame ducks and arguing Obama isn't one...obvs you'd have to argue both sides

http://watchingamerica.com/WA/2015/10/29/obama-is-not-a-lame-duck/
Anyone got a structure for what paragraphs you'd use for imperial judiciary? Thanks x
Reply 418
What are some reasons for why the VP is not powerful/has not got an important role?
Also does anyone have any examples of where members of Congress clearly took into account local issues in their state/congressional district over their political party?
Thank you x
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mars222
What are some reasons for why the VP is not powerful/has not got an important role?
Also does anyone have any examples of where members of Congress clearly took into account local issues in their state/congressional district over their political party?
Thank you x

Would that be examples of pork-barrel politics?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending