A Summer of Maths (ASoM) 2016

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    \bigcup: \displaystyle \bigcup_{1 \leq i \leq m, 1 \leq j \leq n}
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    Ok. whats wrong with the first sentence? We know that any two right cosets in a group are either equal or disjoint. So if we are looking at the intersection of 1 right coset  Hx_{i} and another  Ky_{i} and this set is not empty, they must both equal some  Hg for some  g \in G . There was a typo actually in the 2nd line as I meant to say  Hx_{i} \cap Ky_{j} = Hg \cap Kg = (H \cap K) g but I don't see why the rest of argument doesn't work.
    With the (Z, +) example, subgroups {3n} and {4n}, the intersection of the cosets {3n+1} and {4n+1} are certainly non empty, but this does not imply that Hx = Ky as you've written.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ecasx)
    With the (Z, +) example, subgroups {3n} and {4n}, the intersection of the cosets {3n+1} and {4n+1} are certainly non empty, but this does not imply that Hx = Ky as you've written.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    lol yea that seems true (e.g. 13 occurs in both 3n+1, 4n+1) but I swear
    "any two left cosets of H in G are either identical or disjoint. In other words every element of G belongs to one and only one left coset and so the left cosets form a partition of G.[3] Corresponding statements are true for right cosets." must hold?? what on earth am i doing wrong here XD
    Actually yeah its cus they are different subgroups

ReputationRep:
    lol yea that seems true (e.g. 13 occurs in both 3n+1, 4n+1) but I swear
    "any two left cosets of H in G are either identical or disjoint. In other words every element of G belongs to one and only one left coset and so the left cosets form a partition of G.[3] Corresponding statements are true for right cosets." must hold?? what on earth am i doing wrong here XD
    Actually yeah its cus they are different subgroups
    Yeah they have to be cosets of the same subgroup.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ecasx)
    Yeah they have to be cosets of the same subgroup.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Aggh I was getting confused with typos:

So let  g \in Hx_{i} \cap Ky_{j} . Then  g \in Hx_{i} and  g \in Ky_{j} \Rightarrow g=hx_{i}=ky_{j} for some  h \in H, k \in K .

So  Hg=H(hx_{i})=Hx_{i} and  Kg=K(ky_{j})=Ky_{j}
    Therefore  Hx_{i} \cap Ky_{j}= Hg \cap Kg . My original typo here was that I said  Ky_{j}=Hg also instead of Kg.

ReputationRep:
    Aggh I was getting confused with typos:

So let  g \in Hx_{i} \cap Ky_{j} . Then  g \in Hx_{i} and  g \in Ky_{j} \Rightarrow g=hx_{i}=ky_{j} for some  h \in H, k \in K .

So  Hg=H(hx_{i})=Hx_{i} and  Kg=K(ky_{j})=Ky_{j}
    Therefore  Hx_{i} \cap Ky_{j}= Hg \cap Kg . My original typo here was that I said  Ky_{j}=Hg also instead of Kg.
    What are you trying to do here? I think you're saying that there exists x, y in G such that Hx and Ky both contain G, but this is an obvious statement, since x=y=g works (both H and K contain the identity). Therefore it is true that g belongs to Hg ^ Kg = (H ^ K)g, a coset of (H ^ K), as you have said. But this was already known to us, since we know that H ^ K is a subgroup, and that the cosets of a subgroup will partition the group.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ecasx)
    What are you trying to do here? I think you're saying that there exists x, y in G such that Hx and Ky both contain G, but this is an obvious statement, since x=y=g works (both H and K contain the identity). Therefore it is true that g belongs to Hg ^ Kg = (H ^ K)g, a coset of (H ^ K), as you have said. But this was already known to us, since we know that H ^ K is a subgroup, and that the cosets of a subgroup will partition the group.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Im showing that is true for all g in Hx and Ky, hence why I did that proof rather than just noting each contains the identity (there would no use in just saying each contains just 1 element the same). So this shows  Hg \cap Kg = Hx_{i} \cap Ky_{j} for any of our xi yj. So we can then say G is just  \displaystyle \bigcup_{1 \leq i \leq m, 1 \leq j \leq n} (Hx_{i} \cap Ky_{j} )= \displaystyle \bigcup_{i=1}^{nm} (H \cap K)g_{i}. i.e. H intersection K is of finite index.

ReputationRep:
    Any one got any ideas on this?

Question: A ball bearing rests on a ramp fixed to the top of a car which isaccelerating horizontally. The position of the ball bearing relative to theramp is used as a measure of the acceleration of the car. Show that ifthe acceleration is to be proportional to the horizontal distance moved bythe ball (measured relative to the ramp), then the ramp must be curvedupwards in the shape of a parabola. ++

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AsifHossain)

Question: A ball bearing rests on a ramp fixed to the top of a car which isaccelerating horizontally. The position of the ball bearing relative to theramp is used as a measure of the acceleration of the car. Show that ifthe acceleration is to be proportional to the horizontal distance moved bythe ball (measured relative to the ramp), then the ramp must be curvedupwards in the shape of a parabola. ++
    This is my solution (give or take a couple of small constants from scribbling it down quickly) Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1469288276.436569.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  140.2 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Is this from Upgrade Your Physics? In which case excellent book, I recommend it wholeheartedly.

Your approach will want to be along the lines of showing that the gradient - or, equivalently, cot(theta) with theta to the horizontal if my mental diagram is vorrect - is proportional to x, and so a parabola must result. Any ideas on how to establish something about this angle?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krollo)
    Is this from Upgrade Your Physics? In which case excellent book, I recommend it wholeheartedly.

Your approach will want to be along the lines of showing that the gradient - or, equivalently, cot(theta) with theta to the horizontal if my mental diagram is vorrect - is proportional to x, and so a parabola must result. Any ideas on how to establish something about this angle?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yep it's off that book, glad to know it's useful haha.

I'm unsure if we can say that the ball is in equilibrium and maximum displacement (i.e. Rcos(theta) = ma and Rsin(theta) = mg from which the result would follow) since surely the ball would some have velocity at equilibrium so would continue rising up the ramp and therefore the value of x would increase?

ReputationRep:
    Yep it's off that book, glad to know it's useful haha.

I'm unsure if we can say that the ball is in equilibrium and maximum displacement (i.e. Rcos(theta) = ma and Rsin(theta) = mg from which the result would follow) since surely the ball would some have velocity at equilibrium so would continue rising up the ramp and therefore the value of x would increase?
    Are you familiar with the idea of a fictitious force?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krollo)
    Are you familiar with the idea of a fictitious force?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, we have an inertial force acting in the positive x direction equal to ma right?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, we have an inertial force acting in the positive x direction equal to ma right?
    Yep. By equilibrium, it is in equilibrium relative to the ramp if that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    Zacken Are there any resources for GT on MIT OCW? I must be blind since I can only find "Introduction to Lie Groups".

ReputationRep:
    Zacken Are there any resources for GT on MIT OCW? I must be blind since I can only find "Introduction to Lie Groups".
    Nope, them americanos are weird.

They'll be listed under 'algebra' or 'abstract algebra'.

Groups:
    http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathemati...a-i-fall-2010/
    Rings:
    http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathemati...2011/index.htm
    Bit of both:
    http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathemati...2013/Syllabus/

Lie groups is pretty hard stuff, you'll need a lot of prerequisites for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex:)
    They'll be listed under 'algebra' or 'abstract algebra'.

Groups:
    http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathemati...a-i-fall-2010/
    Rings:
    http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathemati...2011/index.htm
    Bit of both:
    http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathemati...2013/Syllabus/

Lie groups is pretty hard stuff, you'll need a lot of prerequisites for that.
    Thanks. and yea haha I wasn't planning on starting the lie groups stuff. a couple of years away hopefully

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. and yea haha I wasn't planning on starting the lie groups stuff. a couple of years away hopefully
    You planning years early.
    Cmon mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's good that you're interested in group theory though. I found groups to not be interesting early on, since I'm more of an analysis person. Groups pop up everywhere, which is why we learn about them.. For instance, Lie groups I quite like, as they are groups and differentiable manifolds, so it has all group properties and you can do analysis on them.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 28, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.