Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    But equally, an admissions tutor may already have a negative impression of her (which would be unfair, but could happen). As for eloquency...it's about what you say, not how you say it. A lot of the brightest people I know at Cambridge are far from eloquent.
    Basically, she's just like any other applicant - though slightly more harrassed by media.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I still hold an incorrectly distorted view of the admission process, although I can't see that Cambridge would turn her down considering she's rich, famous and obviously pretty smart.

ReputationRep:
    Why would her being rich and famous affect the admissions tutors? She's not going to give them money, and being famous is quite likely to cause problems with unwanted stalker-type people hanging around. And every applicant is 'smart', that's why they're applying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tristanperry)
    Maybe I still hold an incorrectly distorted view of the admission process, although I can't see that Cambridge would turn her down considering she's rich, famous and obviously pretty smart.
    I agree. Maybe I'm a bit too sceptical about the system, but at the end of the day admissions tutors are only human.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaloki)
    I agree. Maybe I'm a bit too sceptical about the system, but at the end of the day admissions tutors are only human.
    Yes, admissions tutors are only human and yes, a bit of prejudice probably does creep in...but Cambridge dons don't tend to be teeny-bopper Harry Potter fans, so I don't see why they would be pre-disposed to like Emma Watson.

Edit: I'd be interested to know why you think they would be

ReputationRep:
    *Yoink*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lunchbox)
    So has it been confirmed that she'll be trying for Cambridge, and not Oxford? I'm not sure if this was ever mentioned, but both her parents are Oxford graduates. I remember reading somewhere that she had plans of applying to Oxford. It changes from report to report. She's been involved with Oxford for quite a bit in recent years, speaking at the OU and having her 16th birthday party at Hertford college, inviting up to 300 friends or something. Is that a regular occurence there, by the way? Colleges renting space out to rowdy teenagers?

She seems to have the grades to qualify as a candidate, but it's all going to depend on how she does at the interview. Is Philosophy at Cambridge a relatively easy course to get in to? She seems to carry herself pretty well and she's always been touted as a precocious and articulate girl.

Whatever, though. I don't want her to get in, really. She doesn't deserve it. I know it's not fair of me to say something like that, but why doesn't she just work on her acting skills? It's not as if she'll ever need a university education because she's stated already her plans of continuing her acting career after uni.

By the way, according to her offical website, she's dropped History of Art and is now doing Art, Geography and English at A-levels.
    Cambridge has a better alumni of famous actresses than Oxford (most aren't already famous when they study there of course)- the 'Footlights' is probably one aspect why. As you presumably don't know her academic record in detail, I seems that you said 'she doesn't deserve it' because you feel it will not improve her prospects any more than not going to university. By that criteria, though, it's a bit like saying that The Beatles didn't deserve to make Abbey Road because they'd already made some great other albums. It's nonsense. If she is clever enough for Cambridge then why should someone be necessarily favoured over her just because she's had acting success early in life? That would go totally contrary to the idea that 'extra-cirricular' activities are an asset. She may want to do something that requires a degree later on and/or she may just very sensibly want to experience and contribute to one of the finest universities- probably for herself as she seems level headed and wise but maybe also to prove that she is more than just a pretty face- see how vilified some actresses become for appearing 'just a pretty face' even if they are much more than that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faik_kheft)
    Yes, admissions tutors are only human and yes, a bit of prejudice probably does creep in...but Cambridge dons don't tend to be teeny-bopper Harry Potter fans, so I don't see why they would be pre-disposed to like Emma Watson.

Edit: I'd be interested to know why you think they would be
    I don't know. It's hard not to be impressed by an attractive young lady who's managed to build a successful film career whilst keeping to (I would assume) the top of her class academically. If anything it's going to show that she can cope.

Last time I checked though, it's not just "teeny-boppers" that go to see the Harry Potter films, especially evident from the fact its now the highest grossing film franchise ever. Not that I'm a fan :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaloki)
    I don't know. It's hard not to be impressed by an attractive young lady who's managed to build a successful film career whilst keeping to (I would assume) the top of her class academically. If anything it's going to show that she can cope.

Last time I checked though, it's not just "teeny-boppers" that go to see the Harry Potter films, especially evident from the fact its now the highest grossing film franchise ever. Not that I'm a fan :p:
    I agree with you that it's impressive keeping up with schoolwork whilst pretty much working fulltime (though I daresay private tutors and things on set help - not that this takes away from the achievement at all). And yes, it's important that people can cope with the time management side of things, and she obviously can. But it is still ridiculous to expect that any given individual will be given a place, when statistically they will not.
    With regards the teeny-bopper thing...you know what I mean! While many people watch and like the films, it is the teeny-boppers that do the obsessive, 'Oh God, anything to let me be closer to that actor/actress' thing. Any adults that do that have issues. And no need to hide being a fan!! :P

If she does decide to apply I wish her as much luck as any other applicant and hope she is considered with as little prejudice as possible - I think everyone applying deserves that chance.

ReputationRep:
    In answer to someone who asked in a post whether philosophy is competitive - I heard from a number of people that at Cambridge (since Oxford doesn't offer straight philosophy) that it is one of the most competitive courses to get into. When I was applying it was the second most competitive course statistically, although that might've changed by now.

As for the admissions tutors - if she is applying to Kings, the DoS at Kings College is a remarkably level-headed man; I know because he supervised me on extended essays last year. I can't see him being swayed by anything other than what goes on in the interview (hoho). Ahem. In any case I am sure he will do his best to treat the various interviewees fairly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reema)
    In answer to someone who asked in a post whether philosophy is competitive - I heard from a number of people that at Cambridge (since Oxford doesn't offer straight philosophy) that it is one of the most competitive courses to get into. When I was applying it was the second most competitive course statistically, although that might've changed by now.

As for the admissions tutors - if she is applying to Kings, the DoS at Kings College is a remarkably level-headed man; I know because he supervised me on extended essays last year. I can't see him being swayed by anything other than what goes on in the interview (hoho). Ahem. In any case I am sure he will do his best to treat the various interviewees fairly.
    Agreed (he's my DoS and interviewed me). I'm sure the same applies to the DoS' at other colleges as well; it's not as if she is going to be interviewed by some hormonal 18 year-old guy. She has the grades, so if she performs well enough at interview she will get a place. It's that simple.

ReputationRep:
    I'd laugh if she had an account on here and saw all of this.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe you guys have discussed Hermione's application for more than 20 pages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bumper)
    I can't believe you guys have discussed Hermione's application for more than 20 pages.
    lmao good lord :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Frankly, I think she generally resents the entire 'celebrity' deal.

"Oh, so you've the right to mob me in droves, wherever I attempt to eke out some semblance of a normal existence; but I'm still expected to stand here, in-line, for ten bloody minutes? Look, do you want a bloody autograph or not? Suit yourself; I really don't care. I like Harry Potter, and I just wanted to portray Hermione as she was meant to be portrayed. What sort of a bloody understanding is this?" Et cetera.

I should imagine that she is no less prone to 'off-days' than anybody else. We seem to expect a noblesse oblige from our celebrities; as though there's some manner of 'trust' inherent in the occupation.
    Exactly, qft! It's terribly unfair of the press/general public to call her a stroppy cow just because she doesn't put up a false display of perfection. She may play a witch, but in the end she's only human .
    I think it's great that she's decided to carry on her education, like others have pointed out she could have just decided to spend her time living the life of luxury off her savings alone, but she chosen not to.

ReputationRep:
    Furthermore, I can't believe there has been 20 pages of discussion without one innuendo relating to opening her chamber of secrets. Poor effort guys.

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    :ditto: :banghead:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ad absurdum)
    Furthermore, I can't believe there has been 20 pages of discussion without one innuendo relating to opening her chamber of secrets. Poor effort guys.
    :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know if she got in?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.