Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

What's the essential piece of advice you'd give to someone starting their A-levels?

ReputationRep:
    Do your work early.

ReputationRep:
    Organisation and studying. It's not like GCSE where you could get away with only revising close to the exam. You have to know all the information you need in time to go over it all and make it stick. And organise your notes. Tidy folder, tidy mind

ReputationRep:
    I'd advise to frontload, spend the long summer before year 12 reading around the subjects. Not textbooks, but general interesting topics to engage you and get you ready for it, so that learning about it is easier when you get back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fionax0)
    Do NOT take 4 A2s and an EPQ in year 13. No matter how confident you feel after AS, just don't.
    Oh sheet... im taking 4 A2's, 1 AS and an EPQ. pls advisse.

ReputationRep:
    Work hard, and you will be rewarded. They're subjectively challenging - difficult for some, easy for others - but put the extra work in, even if you find it easy, and it'll stand you in good stead for the future.

ReputationRep:
    Neat note taking is key - use free sessions to make flash cards as early in the year as possible

ReputationRep:
    Take advantage of your online resources... and teachers. Seriously, pay respect to your teachers because they'll be the ones predicting your grades.

ReputationRep:
    Do your best to get along with your teachers: you'll be spending a lot of time with them.
    (Original post by Someboady)
    Oh sheet... im taking 4 A2's, 1 AS and an EPQ. please advise.
    Which subjects? If you got grades for AS what were they?

ReputationRep:
    If you managed to get through your GCSEs with just natural talent, and think you can do the same at A level, think again.If you want to get high grades, you should put in at least an hours extra work outside the classroom per subject per day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarahF7207)
    (Especially music students, don't leave all of the compositions until the end, try and finish them quite early on so that you have time to go back and improve them.)
    Absolutely true. I was the only one that always kept staying after school for a few hours a few days a week to do my Music Tech compositions across the year. Got pretty much all of it done just before the last few weeks which I spent making little improvements to everything and checking to what it sounded like on different devices. Opened my results a few days ago, and I got an A* in the coursework. No one in my class came close. Not to brag, but working hard really does pay off!

ReputationRep:
    When doing questions, get them marked! And if you don't get full marks do those questions that you got wrong/only some marks in again. Not only is this good practice but it will also allow you some leniency in the exam to drop a few marks (likely due to the increased pressure) and still get your target grade compared to if you are only scraping it in your homework. And who knows: you might even end up with full UMS in some exams (this is what I did and I ended up with full UMS in 1/3rd of my AS exams this year).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    Do your best to get along with your teachers: you'll be spending a lot of time with them.
    Which subjects? If you got grades for AS what were they?
    I got 4A's..
    I'm taking
    Maths (A-level),Further Maths (A-level), Physics (A-level), Computer Science (A-level), Additional Further Maths (AS-level - at the end so i can decide if i have time to learn additional modules) and the EPQ on CompSci
    Is this a bad idea ??

ReputationRep:
    No maths... just no... i don't care if you got 100% at GCSE just don't do it... don't put yourself through the pain:banghead::banghead::beer:

ReputationRep:
    If you're doing maths. I don't care how good you are at it. I don't care how many exams you got full marks on. DO NOT take D1 as a module unless you know you can write at insane speeds.

Just because the content is easier than M1 and S1, doesn't mean it's easiest to score highly on. What's the point of easier questions if you're made to sit an exam at the end of the year that's nearly impossible to finish in time?

But if you were one of those people who always wrote the most pages in class on your essay based subjects at GCSE, by all means take D1.

ReputationRep:
    MEMORISE MARk SCHEMEs

ReputationRep:
    Just because you did well in GCSE's it won't mean you will find A levels easy
    Start revision early
    Ask teachers for help
    Do every past paper possible
    Choose subjects you enjoy
    Don't try to do too much at once
    Try not to stress too much
    Stay organised

ReputationRep:
    - You might think that frees are great. If you want a social life though, do your work during the frees so your weekends are slightly less stress-filled!
    - don't call your teachers "miss" or "sir"... it's just a bit weird now
    - don't leave your revision notes until a month before the exams. Do them as you go along and it makes revision so much easier!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Someboady)
    I got 4A's..
    I'm taking
    Maths (A-level),Further Maths (A-level), Physics (A-level), Computer Science (A-level), Additional Further Maths (AS-level - at the end so i can decide if i have time to learn additional modules) and the EPQ on CompSci
    Is this a bad idea?
    Speak to your teachers. See if they think you are capable of doing so. Speak to your Head of Sixth Form/College and discuss whether they think you will manage. If you decide to go with this, then speak to the Head of Sixth Form/College again along with someone like a form tutor to make sure that you have the right support to continue. It's going to be difficult, but it isn't impossible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    Speak to your teachers. See if they think you are capable of doing so. Speak to your Head of Sixth Form/College and discuss whether they think you will manage. If you decide to go with this, then speak to the Head of Sixth Form/College again along with someone like a form tutor to make sure that you have the right support to continue. It's going to be difficult, but it isn't impossible.
    Right.. I'm willing to put the work in I guess. Trying to get into Oxford... won't be too crushed if I don't make it to be honest. But what kind of support can I expect from my college? It's a state comprehensive school and they don't exactly offer the Additional Further Maths so that'll be self-taught... And the CompSci department is practically non-existent. And Physics takes up a LOT of my time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fionax0)
    Do NOT take 4 A2s and an EPQ in year 13. No matter how confident you feel after AS, just don't.
    Oops lol that was the plan

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.