The Current Year 11 Thread Mark I (2016-2017)

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who hasn't made a ton of notes already? It seems like so many people on here have notes for all their subjects already and I'm feeling quite behind even though such preparation isn't really common other than on TSR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e2014)
    Am I the only one who hasn't made a ton of notes already? It seems like so many people on here have notes for all their subjects already and I'm feeling quite behind even though such preparation isn't really common other than on TSR
    No, you're not the only one. I haven't started making notes yet and my mocks are in December. I'm relieved to know I'm not the only one who's feeling behind.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e2014)
    The only subject I have notes for is history. And that's because we get regular homework to write revision notes which answer this set of questions. I find if given a set of questions which I have to answer in note form that's fine but thinking write some (say) chemistry revision notes doesn't work for me. I wish it did because once I have the notes I find them really useful but it doesn't.
    Really don't worry about it at all. I might write some at some point before the exams, I might not. But that's ok. Notes aren't the only way of learning by any stretch so prepare and revise in a way which helps you rather than trying to conform to what others are doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e2014)
    Nah I only have notes on Jekyll and Hyde, and medicine through time for history, this isn't including notes that I had to for homework, just notes I've done this holiday

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e2014)
    No, we're in the minority in having done any notes/work this summer, so don't worry about it. Most people haven't even started! (and I see you have started a bit of preparation ):P

ReputationRep:
    When you guys do your mocks, how much are you going to revise? I've been hearing not to revise or barely revise because it will "burn you out" for when you go to revise for your GCSEs, I still want to revise for them though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simonexoxo)
    When you guys do your mocks, how much are you going to revise? I've been hearing not to revise or barely revise because it will "burn you out" for when you go to revise for your GCSEs, I still want to revise for them though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi Simone,
    I'll be revising as much as I would be for my actual GCSE examinations. Yet, for mocks, I will not use any past papers because I want to save them for my actual revision. I will complete all my notes (up until what I have learnt) for each subject before I sit my mocks. Mocks, I believe, are important to identify areas of weakness in each subject so you should take advantage of this opportunity to ensure that you are truly reflecting your ability.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am going to revise, and I would definitely not advise completely forgoing revision. Mocks are pretty useless for assessing current progress, because many people go in with the attitude that they "don't matter" (maybe getting one or two grades lower than their potential/what they will get in the end) but they are useful for identifying weaknesses and gaps in knowledge. Therefore, to make the most of the opportunity, I would advise revising, but avoiding excessive revision, ie. hours and hours every night, and wasting past papers, as I agree that it can burn you out, but that's definitely not a reason just to throw them. Also, your predictions may be based off your mocks, typically, which may effect what you wish to do after GCSEs. Having a list of topics that you are weak at will be absolutely invaluable for your revision.

I would reccommend having most notes done by the time mocks come around, though.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, so I'll revise for the mocks and I'll save the past papers for when I revise for my actual GCSEs, so for now just use my own notes???????

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    I am going to revise, and I would definitely not advise completely forgoing revision. Mocks are pretty useless for assessing current progress, because many people go in with the attitude that they "don't matter" (maybe getting one or two grades lower than their potential/what they will get in the end) but they are useful for identifying weaknesses and gaps in knowledge. Therefore, to make the most of the opportunity, I would advise revising, but avoiding excessive revision, ie. hours and hours every night, and wasting past papers, as I agree that it can burn you out, but that's definitely not a reason just to throw them. Also, your predictions may be based off your mocks, typically, which may effect what you wish to do after GCSEs. Having a list of topics that you are weak at will be absolutely invaluable for your revision.

I would reccommend having most notes done by the time mocks come around, though.
    Mocks aren't useless as they use them to determine your predicted grades for when you are applying to six forms, so getting high results in mocks means higher predicted grades, make it more easy for you to get in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi Simonexoxo. Personally, I'm a bit of a workaholic but I think revision should be broken down into manageable bits and by doing so this avoids burning yourself out. I also use the Pomodoro Technqiue as well. In terms of notes etc, I have started a few but will start making more soon. If you have any inquires don't hesitate to PM me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haseeb798)
    Mocks aren't useless as they use them to determine your predicted grades for when you are applying to six forms, so getting high results in mocks means higher predicted grades, make it more easy for you to get in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I said they were useless for assessing progress. You're right in the fact that they are used for predictions, and are important in that regard.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I'm just dropping by to wish you all luck for Year 11. As long as you put in the effort, you will smash this upcoming year and achieve the grades you deserve! You can do this; you *will* do this! You will smash your GCSEs and celebrate by getting into your desired sixth form or college, whatever you wish to do. Good luck to you all, you can do this!

Hope that motivates you all! Good luck for Year 11 everyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    HELLPPPPP!
    I'm in year 11 and I'm doing a one-year intensive course this year because of external factors that I had no control over and have to go to a sixth-form college to finish year 11. I want to do Medicine in the future but I was just wondering if the fact that I might end up doing (depending on which school I choose) 6 gcses; Math, Chem, Bio, Physics (does triple science count as three gcses???) History, Eng Lang (I was told uni's don't really care about eng lit) will be a problem.
    I just really need to know if the amount of time and how many i'm doing will affect me in my application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by panda_bae)
    HELLPPPPP!
    I'm in year 10 and I'm doing a one-year intensive course this year because of external factors that I had no control over and have to go to a sixth-form college to finish year 11. I want to do Medicine in the future but I was just wondering if the fact that I might end up doing (depending on which school I choose) 6 gcses; Math, Chem, Bio, Physics (does triple science count as three gcses???) History, Eng Lang (I was told uni's don't really care about eng lit) will be a problem.
    I just really need to know if the amount of time and how many i'm doing will affect me in my application.
    Join us in the year 10 thread, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4275172.

I'm in a similar situation with GCSEs, I'm sitting 4 of them in year 10. Pm me if you want

ReputationRep:
    I dont get what you mean by making notes. Isn't that what your subject book is for. Why dont you make good revisable notes in lesson, saving you tons of time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobBobson)
    I dont get what you mean by making notes. Isn't that what your subject book is for. Why dont you make good revisable notes in lesson, saving you tons of time
    Literally same. Surely you make all your notes in lesson's whilst you are learning them? Or by 'notes' are people just referring to revision resources like flash cards and spider diagrams etc?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else like me and really doesn't want to go back to school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bimball)
    Literally same. Surely you make all your notes in lesson's whilst you are learning them? Or by 'notes' are people just referring to revision resources like flash cards and spider diagrams etc?
    Well I meant revision resources. The class notes condensed and ready to learn - I don't know what other people meant

ReputationRep:
    I have my tap and freestyle exams, but I wasn't sure how sixth forms and colleges feel about them, they are I.D.T.A exams, so I wasn't to sure if during exam seasons I should not do dance exams. I'm not sure if it will give me any edge and make me stand out or of they just don't care.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.