http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3558224.stm

ReputationRep:
    Pronouncing it Jee-off used to gibe me hours of amusement

(Original post by Acaila)
    Thank you
    You almost share a name with me too!
    there are far too many of you damn amys/aimees/amyalys 's

by the way, on that link, it says:

Men were more attracted to those with back vowel sounds in their names, such as Jordan, Rachel, or Kylie.

...But Nicole Kidman does not, according to US researchers

Women with front vowel sounds, such as Kate, Emma or Elizabeth were considered less attractive.

Now is it just me, or is the "a" sound in Kate and Rachel the same......? Am i missing the point...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3558224.stm
    I think Geoff is a front vowel name

G

ReputationRep:
    I think Geoff and Amy are but I'm not quite sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Pronouncing it Jee-off used to gibe me hours of amusement
    Same here Ay-mye.

I don't really believe that research, but it made me laugh when I read it a few weeks ago...

Maybe they pronounce Rachel, "Raw-chul"?

ReputationRep:
    Same here Ay-mye.

I don't really believe that research, but it made me laugh when I read it a few weeks ago...

Maybe they pronounce Rachel, "Raw-chul"?
    I think maybe they mean the even though the a's in Kate and Rachel are similar....Rachel's e vowel has a back mouth sound?? 'ul' would therefore be the sound they are referring to??

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    I think maybe they mean the even though the a's in Kate and Rachel are similar....Rachel's e vowel has a back mouth sound?? 'ul' would therefore be the sound they are referring to??

G
    Yeah, good point...so as long as your name's not pronounced Jorf, you're OK.

(Original post by gzftan)

G
    you're probably right.. although... i pronounce kate like kay-tuh but with the tuh being very short and the kay stressed..

oh well...

rosie

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, good point...so as long as your name's not pronounced Jorf, you're OK.
    Lol...excellent!

G

ReputationRep:
    Sexy names:
    Edgar
    Martin
    Rita
    Gloria

Um... I beg to differ!!!

ReputationRep:
    I like "soft" names like, say, Sophie.

In Ireland you can get passports/etc in any linguistical form of your name (damn - the trouble I had opening a student account because the English are not the same!).

(Original post by polthegael)
    I like "soft" names like, say, Sophie.

In Ireland you can get passports/etc in any linguistical form of your name (damn - the trouble I had opening a student account because the English are not the same!).
    any linguistical form?

like what... ?

ReputationRep:
    What, like Pol in the Cyrillic alphabet?

ReputationRep:
    What, like Pol in the Cyrillic alphabet?
    Пол is a transliteration, not a translation...

I mean William Murphy/Liam Ó Murchú or Peadar De Brún/Peter Browne/Pierre Le Brun/etc…

(Original post by polthegael)
    Пол is a transliteration, not a translation...

I mean William Murphy/Liam Ó Murchú or Peadar De Brún/Peter Browne/Pierre Le Brun/etc…
    ahh i see

but what if you were called Pierre Brown? Would you have to make it "foreign" in french too, so you were Peter Le Brun?

and what abouit my name?

i spose I could be rosemarie or something. but thats not very interesying really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    ahh i see

but what if you were called Pierre Brown? Would you have to make it "foreign" in french too, so you were Peter Le Brun?

and what abouit my name?

i spose I could be rosemarie or something. but thats not very interesying really.
    What is your name. I'll give you the Irish form of it, if I can! Rosie is Róisín (either pronounced raw'sheen or roh'sheen depending on where in Ireland you are).

You could be Pierre Brown, Pierre De Brun, Peter De Brun, Peadar Le Brun, etc - any mix and match is acceptable to my knowledge.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.