Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arpeggio)
    Aw I like that actually. Slightly cringeworthy, but then absolutely everyone's is and you'd probably look really lame and unenthusiastic if you didn't have your fair share of "fascination"/"passion"/"desire"-type words. I reckon it sums up the "Why Med" question in one nice little sentence...
    Haha lets hope the admission tutors like it :p: I suppose you’re right, no PS would be complete without some cringe-worthy sentences!

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes I wonder whether pre-freshers are handicapped by being exposed to the communal cynicism on here?

ReputationRep:
    You underestimate our resilience.

ReputationRep:
    It's not that.

There are thousands upon thousands of applicants who don't hear the 'don't tell them you want to help people' and 'medlink's ****' spiel from us. How disadvantaged are they?

ReputationRep:
    Lol gotta say Renal, if it wasn't for you i would be much more ignorant on the medicine matter

ReputationRep:
    There are thousands upon thousands of applicants who don't hear the 'don't tell them you want to help people' and 'medlink's ****' spiel from us. How disadvantaged are they?
    Very true. I spoke to a girl from my old school the other day, bricking it over an interview. She couldn't answer the question "Why XYZ?" let alone knowing what Tomorrow's Docs or MMC is.

ReputationRep:
    medics are a load of muppets as well... don't let renal give you the impression otherwise...

some classics from RUMS (royal university muppetry society)

during clinics someone told the consultant after taking a patient's history that their patient had HIV - when he only had asthma...

my friend (medic) told me that someone in his flat has hepatitis B and was worried about sharing a toilet with them...

the legendary one... someone during his first examination instead of asking his patient "can i examine your chest"... he asked "can i examine your breast"!...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    it's okay you haven't had to explain to your clinical partner what heroin is in front of a patient who takes it..... i wonder what planet these people live on sometimes!

ReputationRep:
    Do we have to chest examine each other or just patients?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    you mean will the girls take their shirts off for you??? erm here demos are done on guys and we pair off to practice and girls go with girls in little cubicles. so probly not.

all seems a but harsh though generally. the first time most guys here have a go is on a patient (or their gf)

ReputationRep:
    Each other. Even if it's only OSCE practice. Plus simulated punters.

ReputationRep:
    Lol brighstar - so cynical! More thinking do I need to quickly lose a bit of weight

ReputationRep:
    we don't examine patients or each other... once a term paid actors come in for PDS and you get to examine them... make sure you turn up for these sessions philo cuz it's the only decent PDS sessions you get!... it would be a massive shame to miss them...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    blimey are you joking?? so you have clin skills sessions and rather than adding 10 minutes for you to go over the skills and have a go with a partner work out what you actually didn't understand/can't do while someone is there to help you, they just make you leave?

ReputationRep:
    no, there a med student there from clinics... they go through WIPER, IPPA..etc... then they shows you the examination on the patient... then they watch you while you copy what they did to the patient... everyone gets a chance to do the examination... and then you go...

i thought it was great fun...

ReputationRep:
    Ugh still nothing...anoyyying :P

ReputationRep:
    yeh, we only get to do one examination a term... which is why it's worth turning up for...

ReputationRep:
    EEEEEEEEEE I just got back from my Nottingham interview, absolutely exhausted, felt like checking Track and I have a Sheffield offer!!! I'm over the moon!!

ReputationRep:
    Ahh well done, that's so cool for you

ReputationRep:
    Well done!! I'm insanely jealous!!!!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 16, 2009

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.