Should women earn as much as men? Watch

Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Bornstubborn)
I am not sure why someone studying a maths degree would get offended by what i said. I believe you're studying natural science which is not a maths degree. Engineering is almost a maths degree i do not claim i am studying a maths degree.
Most people would regard it as a maths degree. Put it this way, in my first year I covered more maths than you engineers are going to do over a degree. Not to mention my 4th year is identical to that of the MMath.
How am i afraid of competition? Are you embracing competition?
You avoid it. As for me, given I want to enter politics as a career, blatantly so.
I am not sure how an aeronautical degree comapares to a maths degree but i have heard aeronautical engineering is harder than a maths degree. A maths proffesor told me a maths degree is a good start for the maths involved in aeronautical engineering. Take that for what it is.
You do different maths in an aeronautical engineering degree. Obviously doing a maths degree I don't sit down and learn all the aerodynamics equations. But I do learn a lot more maths, and in more complex areas. Most of engineering maths is differential equations and solving them using numerical analysis. In terms of difficulty, its nothing like as hard as a maths degree.
I have not heard of A level students becoming teachers.
:yawn: You still need a degree, but only an A-level in the subject you are going to teach...
I am not sure what employers consider harder but mechanical engineering does involve a lot of maths and does offer a vast amount of different career opportunities in the engineering world. I am curious what you have against engineering. I am suprised you think so highly of maths, i have never heard anyone speak so much in favour of maths degrees.
You really need to open your mind and broaden your horizons...
Its not my fault you make yourself appear homosexual. Are you homosexual?
As Reblet says, you really need comprehension skills.

Weeny, btw, I think you and him are an amazing match, if you tone down the lingo a tad...
Bornstubborn
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Reblet)
I'm afraid that you are an English speaker though and as such should know how to use correct grammar and punctuation. This is especially important if you want high earnings as the worst things to have on a CV are bad grammar/spelling/punctuation. It's that added factor that may result in you not getting an interview... So just trying to help

What were your hard/bad jobs out of interest? I can't think of many dangerous/difficult jobs I wouldn't do for the right money. I want a job where I can live comfortably but also happily.

I didn't say you were gay. I merely said you two would make a great couple, and I hold that to be true. And good insult "i am noy [sic] gay, you are stupid!" I felt like I was just verbally abused by a six year old! And please stop being so touchy about the gay thing, it makes you seem either homophobic or homosexual... you know what they say about those who protest too much...

Anyway I think we all came to the conclusion that a) men opt for more profitable career paths than women b) maternity leave still has issues c) pay should be based on skill and value not gender. A good debate I'd say. I'll be happy to have a medium income with a love for my job.
I am actually planning on taking a course to improve my english. Untill then i have word grammar and spell check.

Jobs:
Labourer in a wood mill (they worked us like dogs)
Worked in an electronics factory (which was boring as hell and really hot)
Door to door cold calling (not a nice job)
Building labourer ( i was meant to be the labourer but quite often did the building work myself, although i never did building before)
Rail way work (dangerous, lots of travel)

Some were bad and stressful, some were dangerous. Not terrible, but i know what a good job is.

Why would we make a great couple? I am not gay. I am not ready to accept a world where its ok to say two men would make a great couple so casually. If that makes me homophobic, so what. I will be as touchy as i like.
Bornstubborn
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hopping Mad Kangaroo)
Most people would regard it as a maths degree. Put it this way, in my first year I covered more maths than you engineers are going to do over a degree. Not to mention my 4th year is identical to that of the MMath.

You avoid it. As for me, given I want to enter politics as a career, blatantly so.

You do different maths in an aeronautical engineering degree. Obviously doing a maths degree I don't sit down and learn all the aerodynamics equations. But I do learn a lot more maths, and in more complex areas. Most of engineering maths is differential equations and solving them using numerical analysis. In terms of difficulty, its nothing like as hard as a maths degree.

:yawn: You still need a degree, but only an A-level in the subject you are going to teach...

You really need to open your mind and broaden your horizons...

As Reblet says, you really need comprehension skills.

Weeny, btw, I think you and him are an amazing match, if you tone down the lingo a tad...
I am getting to the point where i am not taking you seriously. Your course covers all the maths engineering has in the first year? Maybe they should call your first year a Beng in mechanical engineering and you qaulify with two degrees huh?

You didn't pick the best career for politics. You should have done law. You would make a great polotician by the way. You have such ease with making up lies.

You're not doing a maths degree. You have already said you're doing natural science. Which is a mix of 13 subjects only one of which is maths.

Yes, all engineering is is differential eqautions. Well done for failing.

I will take it you're gay.
Reblet
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I am actually planning on taking a course to improve my english. Untill then i have word grammar and spell check.

Jobs:
Labourer in a wood mill (they worked us like dogs)
Worked in an electronics factory (which was boring as hell and really hot)
Door to door cold calling (not a nice job)
Building labourer ( i was meant to be the labourer but quite often did the building work myself, although i never did building before)
Rail way work (dangerous, lots of travel)

Some were bad and stressful, some were dangerous. Not terrible, but i know what a good job is.

Why would we make a great couple? I am not gay. I am not ready to accept a world where its ok to say two men would make a great couple so casually. If that makes me homophobic, so what. I will be as touchy as i like.
I've done cold calling and although it's not fun it's hardly that bad. I'd hate to work in a factory/building site as I'm allergic to dust... Genuinely... haha. What did you do on the railways? I think that'd be quite fun. Better than a dull shop job!

It is ok to say two men would make a great couple (especially in jest). Welcome to the modern world! It is a bit of an over-reaction to deny being gay in every post since... denial is... interesting...
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I am getting to the point where i am not taking you seriously.
I don't think anyone reached the point that they took you seriously. You are a joke.
Your course covers all the maths engineering has in the first year? Maybe they should call your first year a Beng in mechanical engineering and you qaulify with two degrees huh?
We have not done the engineering. My point was that engineering degrees do not cover anything like as much maths as a maths degree, they are an engineering degree.
You didn't pick the best career for politics. You should have done law. You would make a great polotician by the way. You have such ease with making up lies.
From next year I am studying Politics and Maths.
You're not doing a maths degree. You have already said you're doing natural science. Which is a mix of 13 subjects only one of which is maths.
At a top flight uni doing a 4 year course I will have done a damn sight more maths than most people coming out with a maths degree.
But just to illustrate:
Year 1: 3 Maths modules 2 Physics (largely maths) 1 Psychology
Year 2: 4 Maths 2 Politics
Year 3: 4 Maths 2 Politics
Year 4: 6 Maths.
Yes, all engineering is is differential eqautions. Well done for failing.
I said largely, and the maths in engineering does tend to revolve around differential equations, especially in mechanical.
I will take it you're gay.
Nope I am not at all. Just not insecure about my sexuality.
manderlay in flames
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm thinking this may have gone a bit off-topic since I last posted
Bornstubborn
Rep:
?
I've done cold calling and although it's not fun it's hardly that bad. I'd hate to work in a factory/building site as I'm allergic to dust... Genuinely... haha. What did you do on the railways? I think that'd be quite fun. Better than a dull shop job!

It is ok to say two men would make a great couple (especially in jest). Welcome to the modern world! It is a bit of an over-reaction to deny being gay in every post since... denial is... interesting...
I think as a job its a lot better for women to do. Unless you get attacked. The cold calling was bad, the fact i had to work in all weather, the fact i had to hit targets was bad. It was just not a nice job.

Building work is not bad, its just a bit dangerous and can be hard work.

I worked on the tracks. The problem with working on the railways is the travel and the people you have to work with. Also it can be dangerous.

Well say it to other people. I do not tolerate that ****. Being homosexual is not the modern world, that is an assertion by gay loving morons. The 'sex and the city' generation of stupid women do not decide what is the modern world.
It is funny, people say that to me. You deny being homosexual, so you must be gay. Welcome to the world, in some countries you'd get stabbed for even suggesting someone might be gay, do you think they're gay?
Bornstubborn
Rep:
?
I don't think anyone reached the point that they took you seriously. You are a joke.

We have not done the engineering. My point was that engineering degrees do not cover anything like as much maths as a maths degree, they are an engineering degree.

From next year I am studying Politics and Maths.

At a top flight uni doing a 4 year course I will have done a damn sight more maths than most people coming out with a maths degree.
But just to illustrate:
Year 1: 3 Maths modules 2 Physics (largely maths) 1 Psychology
Year 2: 4 Maths 2 Politics
Year 3: 4 Maths 2 Politics
Year 4: 6 Maths.

I said largely, and the maths in engineering does tend to revolve around differential equations, especially in mechanical.

Nope I am not at all. Just not insecure about my sexuality.
Ok, hopping mad kangaroo. You are a joke. You are not doing a maths degree. Engineering has a lot of maths in it and you are a clown if you think you covered it all in your first week.

You are doing a mixed topic course. That is not a maths degree.

You keep telling yourself maths for engineering is easy and how great your course is and how one day you will be primeminister.

Idiot.

I am glad you are secure in your homosexuality.
Reblet
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think as a job its a lot better for women to do. Unless you get attacked. The cold calling was bad, the fact i had to work in all weather, the fact i had to hit targets was bad. It was just not a nice job.

Building work is not bad, its just a bit dangerous and can be hard work.

I worked on the tracks. The problem with working on the railways is the travel and the people you have to work with. Also it can be dangerous.

Well say it to other people. I do not tolerate that ****. Being homosexual is not the modern world, that is an assertion by gay loving morons. The 'sex and the city' generation of stupid women do not decide what is the modern world.
It is funny, people say that to me. You deny being homosexual, so you must be gay. Welcome to the world, in some countries you'd get stabbed for even suggesting someone might be gay, do you think they're gay?
Cold calling is tough and dull. Prefer office jobs really.

Have you never been called gay by friends as a joke before?! I find that incredible. Homosexuality is a part of the modern world, its acceptance into society shows how far we've come. I have never watched "Sex and the City" and I can assure you I am far from stupid I am just accepting of people and I don't understand your issue with homosexuality. I went out with a guy from a foreign country where homosexuality was illegal until a couple of years ago and I couldn't stand his attitude to it. And yes, I think part of it is the fear of oneself being gay or being attractive to gays. If you go way back to the Roman Empire or the Greeks they were fine with a bit of male bonding it's only religious beliefs that have poisoned us into believing it's something completely wrong. Anyway I will stop calling you gay when you stop calling women stupid, homo... Jokes!

P.S. Manderlay in Flames I muchly appreciate your du Maurier inspired username. Good call.
Bornstubborn
Rep:
?
Cold calling is tough and dull. Prefer office jobs really.

Have you never been called gay by friends as a joke before?! I find that incredible. Homosexuality is a part of the modern world, its acceptance into society shows how far we've come. I have never watched "Sex and the City" and I can assure you I am far from stupid I am just accepting of people and I don't understand your issue with homosexuality. I went out with a guy from a foreign country where homosexuality was illegal until a couple of years ago and I couldn't stand his attitude to it. And yes, I think part of it is the fear of oneself being gay or being attractive to gays. If you go way back to the Roman Empire or the Greeks they were fine with a bit of male bonding it's only religious beliefs that have poisoned us into believing it's something completely wrong. Anyway I will stop calling you gay when you stop calling women stupid, homo... Jokes!

P.S. Manderlay in Flames I muchly appreciate your du Maurier inspired username. Good call.
My friends do not call me gay, people do not make gey jokes about me. They think i am very masculine and unlikely to be gay.

I don't think it shows how far we have come i think its a sign of regression.

Where was this guy from? Haha, that is funny.

I know gays find me attractive, that does not bother me, as long as they stay away from me.

The greeks were gays, that is why they were such a joke. They actually raped children you know. They really disgust me.

I don't say women are stupid. I just don't think they are as smart as men.
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ok, hopping mad kangaroo. You are a joke. You are not doing a maths degree. Engineering has a lot of maths in it and you are a clown if you think you covered it all in your first week.
Lol! Engineering has about the same amount of maths as my first year, not week. Though I do wonder how you are going to do a degree in it if you cant comprehend basic English, let alone a textbook.
You are doing a mixed topic course. That is not a maths degree.
It has more maths than most maths degrees, especially when you factor in electives.
You keep telling yourself maths for engineering is easy and how great your course is and how one day you will be primeminister.
It is easy for someone good at maths, which I doubt you are. I begin to suspect that you are actually enrolling to be a mechanic, rather than an actual engineer.
Idiot.

I am glad you are secure in your homosexuality.
:rofl:
Come on, you can insult me better than that surely?
I dislike homosexuality myself, but I can take a koke.
Bornstubborn
Rep:
?
Lol! Engineering has about the same amount of maths as my first year, not week. Though I do wonder how you are going to do a degree in it if you cant comprehend basic English, let alone a textbook.

It has more maths than most maths degrees, especially when you factor in electives.

It is easy for someone good at maths, which I doubt you are. I begin to suspect that you are actually enrolling to be a mechanic, rather than an actual engineer.

Come on, you can insult me better than that surely?
Why don't we start calling your course the super maths degree, since it is so superior.

Mechanical engineering is actually a mechanics course. The maths is so simple it only qaulify's us to become mechanics.

I am not insulting you, i think you should be proud of who you are.
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why don't we start calling your course the super maths degree, since it is so superior.
Go for it. I am flattered.
Mechanical engineering is actually a mechanics course. The maths is so simple it only qaulify's us to become mechanics.
Well your BEng if you get will only qualify you so much...
You know for someone who pretends to be straight, you spend quite a lot of time preening over spanners.
I am not insulting you, i think you should be proud of who you are.
I am
*wonders what Bornstupid has gotten idiot confused with*
Reblet
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My friends do not call me gay, people do not make gey jokes about me. They think i am very masculine and unlikely to be gay.

I don't think it shows how far we have come i think its a sign of regression.

Where was this guy from? Haha, that is funny.

I know gays find me attractive, that does not bother me, as long as they stay away from me.

The greeks were gays, that is why they were such a joke. They actually raped children you know. They really disgust me.

I don't say women are stupid. I just don't think they are as smart as men.
Tough, masculine good-looking guys can be gay too you know. Sadly. :rolleyes:

How is it a sign of regression? Acceptance of people no matter what - how is that regression? The Greeks were hardly a joke with some of the best philosophers, wariors, mathematicians and physicists in history.

I would love to encounter the women you've met in life from whom you've based this opinion. In my life I have met very intelligent men and women but also very stupid men and women. On average my friends balance out in intelligence across the genders. Would you say I'm less intelligent than all the males in this thread? I'll take your answer with a pinch of salt I fail to see where this sad opinion of yours has come from, but I hope as you go forward in life you'll realise that gender difference is an exaggeration and the only difference is one little chromosome which does not render all women slightly ******ed in comparison to men
Reblet
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've never felt so open-minded... Haha!
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

How is it a sign of regression? Acceptance of people no matter what - how is that regression? The Greeks were hardly a joke with some of the best philosophers, wariors, mathematicians and physicists in history.

I would love to encounter the women you've met in life from whom you've based this opinion. In my life I have met very intelligent men and women but also very stupid men and women. On average my friends balance out in intelligence across the genders. Would you say I'm less intelligent than all the males in this thread? I'll take your answer with a pinch of salt I fail to see where this sad opinion of yours has come from, but I hope as you go forward in life you'll realise that gender difference is an exaggeration and the only difference is one little chromosome which does not render all women slightly ******ed in comparison to men
Drag queens, I suspect.
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've never felt so open-minded... Haha!
Reblet
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Drag queens, I suspect.
Haha. Nah, if he ever met a drag queen he would FREAK OUT! haha.
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Haha. Nah, if he ever met a drag queen he would FREAK OUT! haha.
Well it depends how long it takes him to realise its a queenie. Depending on how much rambling he gets out, they might whack him over the head with that spanner before he gets the jitters...
Bornstubborn
Rep:
?

Yes there is all sort of gay people. When i was a kid i had a friend, he was very masculine, freakishly strong for a kid of that age, loved DIY and motors and electronics. He turned out gay. Its funny, lots of girls like him aswell.

The way i see it. At one point all humans acted how they wanted, they killed, raped, did anything they desired. Then came civilisation. Some people believe being civilised means being free and allowed to do what you want. Freedom is good to an extent, but some things just are not civilised. For example sodomising a man.

The greeks had some advancement. However they had a culture of raping young boys. This makes me look down on them.

I think in society there is a wider range between intelligence in men, some are very stupid and then some are very smart. whereas women tend to be more average in their intelligence levels. I think it serves reproductory purposes.

I think you are a smart girl, but i do not think you're as smart as me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.6%
No - but I will (103)
7.72%
No - I don't want to (92)
6.89%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (638)
47.79%

Watched Threads