Turn on thread page Beta

McCain vs. Obama watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've come to realise, from the first post in this thread alone, that there are many who are eminently more knowledgeable about America than they are, and that statements such as "ZOMG when Bush got voted in again I had underestimated the stupidity of Americans LOLZ" are doomed to be made forever.

Nothing's changing in that regard.

ReputationRep:
    No doubt everyone will start screaming how "racist" America is for not electing a half-black man (not realising maybe it's something to do with his ******ed policies).

(Original post by Rascalov)
    Heh - I didn't mean to be rude, sorry bout that. However politics and religion, particularly Christianity are heavily intertwined in a lot of American politics especially in the right wing. I watch any right wing politician from the USA speaking and it's "god this" "god that" and "thank God". Some muslim countries that do this are branded as extremists, whereas in America it seems a lot of people are cool with their politicians invoking god at every opportunity.:confused: btw, I liked those videos
    Thanks for making those points, I am aware of them though just wanted to post some interesting videos.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssk2)
    Excuse me? Media saying how great she is? Its been entirely the opposite, from virtually all sides of the media! Plus, its pretty hard to vote for Obama because Americans don't have a clue what he actually stands for - he just spouts rhetoric.

Nice to see the anti-American bigotry continues though...
    We've been through this before in another thread, stop spouting this piece of republican propaganda in every thread! Me and about 3 other posters gave you a list off the top of our heads, the man has a manifesto and has written books on what he plans to do, there's no empty rhetoric. If you're really still in doubt then perhaps google is your friend.

ReputationRep:
    I would be inclined to think that they are slow learners.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by favh)
    I don't think OP knows what he's talking about. McCain is not on the religious right. The Republicans view him as being quite lefty, which is presumably why he appointed Palin to be his running mate.
    Perhaps because most of the current Republican party is on the religious right of Osama Bin Laden.

ReputationRep:
    My opinion won't change that much. But if McCain / Palin do get elected it will confirm that American exceptionalism is as strong as ever; though I do think that McCain is far better than George W and he really doesn't get much credit for his more maverick approaches - e.g. picking Palin - and is being tarred with the GW bush because of his status as a Republican. This is the same man that Biden considered would be a good VP for John Kerry just 4 years ago.

Still, I look up at my Vote Hillary bumper sticker and think damn they missed a trick not picking her those Democrat fools!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manderlay in flames)
    We've been through this before in another thread, stop spouting this piece of republican propaganda in every thread! Me and about 3 other posters gave you a list off the top of our heads, the man has a manifesto and has written books on what he plans to do, there's no empty rhetoric. If you're really still in doubt then perhaps google is your friend.
    HA! You wish... You listed 'policies' which I then asked how he planned to implement. At this point, you shut up. I'll find it for you if you like?

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps because most of the current Republican party is on the religious right of Osama Bin Laden.
    Ok then, whatever you say

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssk2)
    HA! You wish... You listed 'policies' which I then asked how he planned to implement. At this point, you shut up. I'll find it for you if you like?
    Forgive me for not knowing every detail of educational or universal healthcare reform, but I'm an observer not the man himself. If I went a bit deeper I could probably dig out some more detailed plans but rough outline is enough for me to know that this is who America and the world needs.

ReputationRep:
    It'll pretty much stay the same.

ReputationRep:
    Forgive me for not knowing every detail of educational or universal healthcare reform, but I'm an observer not the man himself. If I went a bit deeper I could probably dig out some more detailed plans but rough outline is enough for me to know that this is who America and the world needs.
    That's fabulous! "This is who America and the world needs". Oh my...

Anyway, if Obama's policies were so clear and easy for the public to pick up on, you'd be able to tell us what they are in much more detail than, "investment in education" and how he plans to do this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Anyone with even the slightly knowledge of history would know that anti-Americanism was alive and well long before Bush was elected. But keep on telling yourself that this has nothing to do with jealousy and bigotry. Whatever helps you sleep at night.
    Jealous of what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssk2)
    That's fabulous! "This is who America and the world needs". Oh my...

Anyway, if Obama's policies were so clear and easy for the public to pick up on, you'd be able to tell us what they are in much more detail than, "investment in education" and how he plans to do this.
    The question isn't how easy it is to pick up on his policies because if you're not willing to invest 5 minutes in a google search you shouldn't be voting in my opinion, here's the link by the way

ReputationRep:
    lol?

ReputationRep:
    I shall question reality as I did when Bush won a second term, and then sink back into reminding myself of what the American people seemingly want.

ReputationRep:
    The question isn't how easy it is to pick up on his policies because if you're not willing to invest 5 minutes in a google search you shouldn't be voting in my opinion, here's the link by the way
    How many people are going to read a full manifesto? 1-2% of the electorate. The general public vote on the policies they hear from the candidates; as to now, Obama has just provided rhetoric and really, incredibly dumb economic policy. As Bismarck suggests, he's creating a deficit of $400 billion without telling us how he's going to balance this.

NB: this still doesn't change my opinion that you don't have a clue about Obama's policies - anyone can link to a manifesto.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssk2)
    Pretty crappy article isn't it? I don't get why this guy is bringing in the global reaction and how Obama would win if it was a global election... Americans are voting for THEIR president, why should it matter if Europeans don't like McCain?
    Because it affects the rest of the world...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssk2)
    Nice to see the anti-American bigotry continues though...
    No, I just think Palin's crap. Did you get that "spouts rhetoric" from the John Mccain campaign website by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssk2)
    How many people are going to read a full manifesto? 1-2% of the electorate. The general public vote on the policies they hear from the candidates; as to now, Obama has just provided rhetoric and really, incredibly dumb economic policy. As Bismarck suggests, he's creating a deficit of $400 billion without telling us how he's going to balance this.

NB: this still doesn't change my opinion that you don't have a clue about Obama's policies - anyone can link to a manifesto.
    If anyone can find a manifesto anyone can find his policies, you're sidelining now because you know your claim that he has only provided rhetoric is balls because a detailed list of his policies is a keyword search and 2 clicks away from anyone. By the way if you read this then i'd cut the paragraphs if it's not an issue you're interested in and find what you are interested in by reading the summaries on the right first
    For fairness here's the corresponding republican link, I think an unbiased reading would find it much more vague

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.