Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    i think he meant 6+ on both sections. i think adhavan should have been pooled though.

i think academically, this year has been the hardest to get into cambridge.
    I agree with the last bit...Downing especially, it's just ridiculous. I still think they have made some pretty huge mistakes this year.

ReputationRep:
    reading this section, im glad i didn't apply to cambridge. So many people here seem to be so cocky and arrogant - how do people think that they should have got a place or been pooled when they didnt even see anyone else interviews. If you got rejected, unlucky and better luck elsewhere but it also means that you were not good enough and thats the end of that. Stop trying to convince yourselves you should have got a place when most probably you didnt deserve a place if you are that arrogant. Also congrats to everyone who did get an offer or who are gracious in rejection.

ReputationRep:
    Ok i agree to some extent what you said but tb fair it is common knowledge that there is a bit of luck involved in these kind of processes. You might get lucky on the type of questions they ask you or you might have managed to avoid showing a weakness by not getting physics question but getting a biology. So to some extent, many ppl who did deserve a place were rejected and a lot more than 250 are academically able and bright enough to do the course. Also they probably realise at interview that theres not a lot between you and the next person, sometimes its a case of it being to close to tell, one person had a lucky day and the other didnt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stayhappy)
    reading this section, im glad i didn't apply to cambridge. So many people here seem to be so cocky and arrogant - how do people think that they should have got a place or been pooled when they didnt even see anyone else interviews. If you got rejected, unlucky and better luck elsewhere but it also means that you were not good enough and thats the end of that. Stop trying to convince yourselves you should have got a place when most probably you didnt deserve a place if you are that arrogant. Also congrats to everyone who did get an offer or who are gracious in rejection.
    Or the admissions tutor made a mistake... They can hardly make flawless decisions; inevitably there will be mistakes made.

ReputationRep:
    i understand your point but my annoyance stems from the fact people are so bitter about being rejected from one of the best unis of the world. Luck does play a part so how were some people so sure that they would get a place. when people start asking teachers why they didnt get pooled for eg seems so snobby. i ws rejected last year and am reapplying this year so i know the feeling - but some people here are so unbelievably up themselves its unreal. there is a thing called humility.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrDomDom)
    I dont think Im even gonna try to argue with you on this, 'cause any point I put forward is likely to be shot down.

Medicine is unfair - plenty of people who deserve places dont get places. Medicine at Cambridge is no different.
    Maybe so but the admission tutors aren't stupid, I would say that most of the choices they make are the right ones at the time, based on what the applicants have shown them.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should let them have a few immodest moments, their ego has just received a big hit.

ReputationRep:
    I think we all need to remember that no matter how much info admissions tutors publish online/email to their applicants, we never know the full story. Sure we know their guidelines for offers/pooling but its not like any one of us can say for sure that they follow these guidelines to the letter

Luckily for me i've seen the bigger picture - i never would have enjoyed myself at cambridge and its not cambridges fault, its mine. They pride themselves on academic excellence and unwavering hard work - and i just happen to be a lazy guy who is quite smart and enjoys to party :p: sure i would have been unimaginably proud to study there, but i would have hated the crazy workload and lack of a decent club scene

At the end of the day, as was already mentioned - in terms of producing competent doctors the top unis are all on par (whereas oxbridge edge it for research prospects - although imperial is quickly closing that gap) and id be extremely happy to go to any one of my choices

Dont be bitter guys - we're all at the top of our game, regardless of what an admissions tutor thinks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhavan)
    I think we all need to remember that no matter how much info admissions tutors publish online/email to their applicants, we never know the full story. Sure we know their guidelines for offers/pooling but its not like any one of us can say for sure that they follow these guidelines to the letter

Luckily for me i've seen the bigger picture - i never would have enjoyed myself at cambridge and its not cambridges fault, its mine. They pride themselves on academic excellence and unwavering hard work - and i just happen to be a lazy guy who is quite smart and enjoys to party :p: sure i would have been unimaginably proud to study there, but i would have hated the crazy workload and lack of a decent club scene

At the end of the day, as was already mentioned - in terms of producing competent doctors the top unis are all on par (whereas oxbridge edge it for research prospects - although imperial is quickly closing that gap) and id be extremely happy to go to any one of my choices

Dont be bitter guys - we're all at the top of our game, regardless of what an admissions tutor thinks
    Amen to this. I didn't apply to oxbridge because although I had the grades I knew it wasn't the lifestyle for me. My first choice is Manchester; best for research after oxford and cambridge, if you choose to do six years you get to actually choose your second degree ( BSc Neuroscience ), its got lots of ill people, and the nightlife is amazing.
    Perhaps if you want your name on a gold plaque in Harley Street then maybe oxbridge is best, but times are changing, and the future is open wide all you cambridge rejects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fantasystar38)
    Amen to this. I didn't apply to oxbridge because although I had the grades I knew it wasn't the lifestyle for me. My first choice is Manchester; best for research after oxford and cambridge, if you choose to do six years you get to actually choose your second degree ( BSc Neuroscience ), its got lots of ill people, and the nightlife is amazing.
    Perhaps if you want your name on a gold plaque in Harley Street then maybe oxbridge is best, but times are changing, and the future is open wide all you cambridge rejects

(btw the ability to choose and do an intercalated degree is compulsary at UCL and imperial - so they have at least equal academic prospects)

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to intercalate anyway, so I'm hoping for Imperial.

With Cambridge, it just wasn't meant to be :p:

ReputationRep:
    Im going to intercalate wherever i go, so i dont think it matters which medschool. I like how nottingham does the BMedSci in 5 years which means i cud intercalate to get an MSc in the 6th year. Thats right, not an BSc an MSc!!! in the same time everyone else gets a BSc! Notts is awesome too and deserves to be mentioned as a fine med school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    I'd like to intercalate anyway, so I'm hoping for Imperial.

With Cambridge, it just wasn't meant to be :p:
    would be cool to go to imperial. i'd have a tough time deciding between imperial and leeds.

btw WHAT IS LPK?

ReputationRep:
    would be cool to go to imperial. i'd have a tough time deciding between imperial and leeds.

btw WHAT IS LPK?
    Haha, the course is totally different, the city is totally different :p:

I guess you can decide once you get the offers though

LPK is blatantly short for this :shifty: . How can you not have heard of it?? :eyeball:

Hehe, nah, it's really this. He's cool. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NissanMicra)
    Im going to intercalate wherever i go, so i dont think it matters which medschool. I like how nottingham does the BMedSci in 5 years which means i cud intercalate to get an MSc in the 6th year. Thats right, not an BSc an MSc!!! in the same time everyone else gets a BSc! Notts is awesome too and deserves to be mentioned as a fine med school
    Except everyone in the medical world knows that your MSc is in fact a BSc, and your BMedSci is in fact just a mini-project.

ReputationRep:

LPK is blatantly short for this :shifty: . How can you not have heard of it?? :eyeball:

you worship...another guy? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    you worship...another guy? :lolwut:
    The guy's a legend :hmmm: :p:

ReputationRep:

Arent all those LPK things just rip offs of the Chuck Norris ones? (in fact i swear they're exactly the same :p:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhavan)
    Arent all those LPK things just rip offs of the Chuck Norris ones? (in fact i swear they're exactly the same :p:)
    Yup, I'm not original enough to think of my own :p: They've been carefully selected and edited :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yup, I'm not original enough to think of my own :p: They've been carefully selected and edited :p:
    i like the first and last one

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 18, 2009

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.