The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4180
Original post by Airfairy
I'm jealous about everyone who says they get excited when teaching a full lesson! I'm the exact opposite...

I feel a mix of nervousness and excitement at the same time.
Original post by Mr CS

Yeah, for the most part i look forward to it but im also quite nervous. Ive got two observations monday and one of them is the class that went badly last weeky so im quite nervous about that one.
It is nicer to feel im in charge of the class than when im observing them and someone else is teaching.
First week of solo teaching done and survived. I taught 6 lessons last week and one of them was an hour and a half long... So I'm pretty proud I've even done my first solo teaching.

I feel pretty worried/apprehensive about my observation on Tuesday but Rome wasn't built in a day!
Reply 4183
Original post by Mr CS

You're doing IT and CS?! *high 5*
Anyone else stuck home doing uni work on a Saturday afternoon? :/
It's good to see that lots of you are enjoying things so far! I was due to be starting my PGCE this year but due to a close bereavement had to defer.
I'll be following this thread avidly no doubt, although it has made me quite sad that I'm not along there with you all this year! Keep going! :smile:
Reply 4186
Original post by Sam89
You're doing IT and CS?! *high 5*

I am indeed. How are you finding the course so far?
Original post by alabelle
Anyone else stuck home doing uni work on a Saturday afternoon? :/

Uni work, no. Planning, yes. :-( I have been enjoying planning but really struggling with my numeracy for next week. I haven't taught numeracy to the whole class yet and it's fractions which isn't my strong point. Panic mode!
Original post by Esmeralda4
Uni work, no. Planning, yes. :-( I have been enjoying planning but really struggling with my numeracy for next week. I haven't taught numeracy to the whole class yet and it's fractions which isn't my strong point. Panic mode!

Are you primary? One thing I've found amazing is the starter and plenary generators on tes, they're awesome for ideas. There's great main activity stuff on there too. What part of it is the panicky bit?
Planned all my lessons for next week before the weekend so thats no worry but got to build all the resources tomorrow ready for the lessons. Have an official observation on the one that went horribly wrong last week which means im dreading that lesson even more than i already was :frown:
Are you primary? One thing I've found amazing is the starter and plenary generators on tes, they're awesome for ideas. There's great main activity stuff on there too. What part of it is the panicky bit?

Yep, Primary. Maths isn't my strong point so that's kinda scary but the main thing that I'm finding difficult is differentiation. I have 5 rather distinct ability groups in my class and apparently most of them weren't solid in their knowledge of fractions last year. I've kept it simple, but it's hard to know whether it will be too hard, too easy....gah! Lol. My mentor has emailed to say my planning for Monday is okay, which makes me feel a bit better, but we shall see.

And thanks for the TES tip! I have had a brief look on there before and it looks good. :-)

Are you primary too?
Yep, Primary. Maths isn't my strong point so that's kinda scary but the main thing that I'm finding difficult is differentiation. I have 5 rather distinct ability groups in my class and apparently most of them weren't solid in their knowledge of fractions last year. I've kept it simple, but it's hard to know whether it will be too hard, too easy....gah! Lol. My mentor has emailed to say my planning for Monday is okay, which makes me feel a bit better, but we shall see.

And thanks for the TES tip! I have had a brief look on there before and it looks good. :-)

Are you primary too?

Yep, I'm primary. Differentiation is hard, but it'll get easier as you get to know your class better. :smile: can you get any help from your class teacher? I'm planning together with mine for a while until I know the class better.
Yep, I'm primary. Differentiation is hard, but it'll get easier as you get to know your class better. :smile: can you get any help from your class teacher? I'm planning together with mine for a while until I know the class better.

Yeah, luckily my mentor is super helpful and supportive. She has helped me a lot with my art lessons for next week (another weak subject...boy oh boy next week will be fun). She said that I should see how this first numeracy lessons goes and then plan from there. It should be easier once I see how they cope with that.
Original post by magic_box
It's good to see that lots of you are enjoying things so far! I was due to be starting my PGCE this year but due to a close bereavement had to defer.
I'll be following this thread avidly no doubt, although it has made me quite sad that I'm not along there with you all this year! Keep going! :smile:

Aww I'm sorry to hear that! Hope you're okay. Does that mean you'll get the bursary for r.e next year then? If so at least that's the smallest positive of the situation!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, luckily my mentor is super helpful and supportive. She has helped me a lot with my art lessons for next week (another weak subject...boy oh boy next week will be fun). She said that I should see how this first numeracy lessons goes and then plan from there. It should be easier once I see how they cope with that.

That's good, sounds like you have a lovely mentor. Good luck! Try not to overthink it (easier said than done, I know).
Oh my lord, i wasnt doing too badly and then the teacher of my year 10 class has told me she wants me to teach both her lessons this week (wednesday and thursday). Nice long bit of notice there eh? I dont mind, its just i was actually feeling on top of things until this, and now im suddenly behind without planning to be! Arghh!!
(edited 9 years ago)
I had my first PGCE-related cry last night. I think it's a combination of the worries I've had about Numeracy, my lesson yesterday being particularly stressful, and the cold/flu/plague that has decided to join me this week. *sigh*

Original post by Ratchit99
Oh my lord, i wasnt doing too badly and then the teacher of my year 10 class has told me she wants me to teach both her lessons this week (wednesday and thursday). Nice long bit of notice there eh? I dont mind, its just i was actually feeling on top of things until this, and now im suddenly behind without planning to be! Arghh!!

Good luck!! I had to completely replan a lesson last night - hate feeling behind!
I had my first PGCE-related cry last night. I think it's a combination of the worries I've had about Numeracy, my lesson yesterday being particularly stressful, and the cold/flu/plague that has decided to join me this week. *sigh*

Good luck!! I had to completely replan a lesson last night - hate feeling behind!

My advice would be to get used to a certain amount of feeling behind, as you will never be able to do everything you want to do as a teacher.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone been off from their placement yet? I'm panicking a bit really. I was off for two days near the start, now I'm off today. Also I need a small operation which will mean I'm off for a week. I have no date for this yet but I've been told it will be this year - so probably during my placement!

I just feel really bad about it all. But with regards to the operation, I've been waiting for it for three years now, so there's no way in hell I'm not having it done now.

Also, with regards to references for jobs...I take you ask a uni tutor, and a school mentor? I'm worried about references because it says in our handbook that attendance is mentioned in references. Are references for school jobs like any other ones - they are only looked at once you've accepted the position?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I just had a really bad lesson ;(

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending