Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I m in KS1, and I had my first teacher observation today, while I was working with a group. They are the lowest ability group in the class, and I really felt down afterwards because I thought I did badly, and then started work with a literacy group, which seemed to be going downhill rapidly. However, we had to stop for break, and continue afterwards. They worked much better, and my observation feedback was good.

It is so true that this course is up and down all the time. Sometimes during/after a session I think to myself "what am I doing, I am so bad at this", but then you have to good experience and your whole mood changes. I have surprised myself this week, because even if I have struggled at certain points during the day, I am still looking forward to the next day, to see if I can improve. I guess at the moment I am enjoying the challenge, and hopefully that won't change!

Does anybody else find it hard sometimes to get a group to listen to you at the start of a session, or to work quietly without calling for your attention all the time? My teacher said I managed behaviour well today, but I was with a smaller group than usual, which helped. I know it should eventually start coming together, but I feel like this is my biggest issue at the moment.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    My school haven't got any more organised, but I've somehow ended up teaching five full lessons and a starter in another next week, which I'm really excited for. I'm teaching two experiments - which is obviously a lot of work to organise, and I still have to try them out - and teaching a revision lesson, plus getting pupils to produce and present a presentation, assessed by me (exciting). It's been a lot of work - and I've basically ignored my university work for much of the week - but it feels really good to be finally getting involved and beginning to take over classes.

(Original post by adastraz)
    I m in KS1, and I had my first teacher observation today, while I was working with a group. They are the lowest ability group in the class, and I really felt down afterwards because I thought I did badly, and then started work with a literacy group, which seemed to be going downhill rapidly. However, we had to stop for break, and continue afterwards. They worked much better, and my observation feedback was good.

It is so true that this course is up and down all the time. Sometimes during/after a session I think to myself "what am I doing, I am so bad at this", but then you have to good experience and your whole mood changes. I have surprised myself this week, because even if I have struggled at certain points during the day, I am still looking forward to the next day, to see if I can improve. I guess at the moment I am enjoying the challenge, and hopefully that won't change!

Does anybody else find it hard sometimes to get a group to listen to you at the start of a session, or to work quietly without calling for your attention all the time? My teacher said I managed behaviour well today, but I was with a smaller group than usual, which helped. I know it should eventually start coming together, but I feel like this is my biggest issue at the moment.
    I'm secondary, so I doubt I can give any practical tips. But what I can say is that pupils will always test you for a few weeks - they want to find your limits, and pushing against them is the best way to do that. Be consistent, stay calm and be clear as to your expectations and things should quieten down in a few weeks.

ReputationRep:
    I do too. My teacher has told me that I need to assert my authority at the beginning of every lesson. I clap for attention and most of them stop, then I ask them to put everything they are holding down and to turn round and face the board. I'm experimenting with praising the ones who are sitting really nicely instead of the ones talking, but most of the gabby ones just keep going unless I call them out tbh!

I've also found that they fiddle with jotters and worksheets and things when they are in front of them. So I've started putting the whole group's jotters in a bundle on their desks instead, that helps.

It's really difficult. My teacher told me to stop talking as soon I see them holding a pencil or jotter, but it's so stop start. Plus, I feel like a *****

I am totally exhausted too. I am really struggling with differentiation, because of the range of abilities in my class. Some can barely read or write () but others are really, really good. It's so frustrating, because our lecturers are so against ability grouping, and I don't want to be marked down for doing that, but... there's really nothing else I can do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katie543)
    Hey.
    I am aware this probably isn't the right thread to post in but I have a primary pgce interview next week and I just wondered if anybody would like to give me any advice about interviews and personal experience you may have encountered!
    Good luck to all those trainee teachers BTW, I am sure you are doing an amazing job!! Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    See my post a page or two back about interviews!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

When you want them to work without constantly coming to you you could try a prop like a crown- when you wear the crown they can't come and ask questions (unless there's an emergency).

Also try using prompts/reminders for strategies they can use if they're stuck. Read information again, use a classroom resource, ask a friend for help, try a different method etc. Make posters of it and stick then about- there are plenty ready made on pinterest etc- and then every time someone comes to ask go though and check they've tried all those things first. They'll soon get bored of being asked and just try them all first.

Behaviour management is always always hard at first! If you can do well in a group you're off to a good start

I worked with a class where the teacher said they were never "well behaved" both before and after break, it was one or the other lol.

Xxx

(Original post by peony flowers)
    I do too. My teacher has told me that I need to assert my authority at the beginning of every lesson. I clap for attention and most of them stop, then I ask them to put everything they are holding down and to turn round and face the board. I'm experimenting with praising the ones who are sitting really nicely instead of the ones talking, but most of the gabby ones just keep going unless I call them out tbh!

I've also found that they fiddle with jotters and worksheets and things when they are in front of them. So I've started putting the whole group's jotters in a bundle on their desks instead, that helps.

It's really difficult. My teacher told me to stop talking as soon I see them holding a pencil or jotter, but it's so stop start. Plus, I feel like a *****

I am totally exhausted too. I am really struggling with differentiation, because of the range of abilities in my class. Some can barely read or write () but others are really, really good. It's so frustrating, because our lecturers are so against ability grouping, and I don't want to be marked down for doing that, but... there's really nothing else I can do!
    Instead of grouping you could try getting them to choose the activities themselves. That avoids putting a lid on their learning. There is a good case study about The Wroxham School on the a curriculum that counts website, where they did this, and they explain it better than I can!

http://acurriculumthatcounts.org.uk/...roxham-school/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm jealous about everyone who says they get excited when teaching a full lesson! I'm the exact opposite...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    Thank you for your advice. My issue is that I'm skills based so my pupils do need to go through 4 and 5 to get to 6. It's incredibly frustrating. All I can think of doing is going off syllabus with some of them. They're already pushing at the ceiling of the module.

Had a good lesson in the end though. My differentiation was awful at the top end as I expected but with feedback I have a bit of hope for next week's lesson. There's apparently no way to avoid going over the stuff more than once so I'll use your advice about small groups staying to learn a bit more and then letting them get on with it when I teach the others later.

I've also gone from supporting a new unit to a year 9 class to teaching the whole thing. I think I'm worried about higher years

So next week I'm teaching 3 classes, doing a pupil pursuit, sitting in on an English class or two and I'm becoming a form tutor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah well there's no point redoing something they've already done just because the syllabus says so. Syllabi are there to help make sure you cover everything, rather than restrict you. I know it can be hard though, especially as a trainee, of the school does things a certain way. So don't feel bad about it, this kind of thing needs a lot of practice and experimentation to get used to.

The only other thing I can think of is having those who are further teach others in some way. This will reinforce it for them and give other students a different perspective which could help them learn. It doesn't have to be direct- it could be them making a presentation, Game or quiz, textbook chapter... Or you could do a sort of "extended project" for them, using all the skills, to work on through lessons and present to others at the end of the topic. Then it's less like "you have extra work if you finish the first work each lesson", more, you've already covered everything so now use it.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    I'm jealous about everyone who says they get excited when teaching a full lesson! I'm the exact opposite...
    I feel a mix of nervousness and excitement at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr CS)
    Yeah, for the most part i look forward to it but im also quite nervous. Ive got two observations monday and one of them is the class that went badly last weeky so im quite nervous about that one.
    It is nicer to feel im in charge of the class than when im observing them and someone else is teaching.

ReputationRep:
    First week of solo teaching done and survived. I taught 6 lessons last week and one of them was an hour and a half long... So I'm pretty proud I've even done my first solo teaching.

I feel pretty worried/apprehensive about my observation on Tuesday but Rome wasn't built in a day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr CS)
    You're doing IT and CS?! *high 5*

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else stuck home doing uni work on a Saturday afternoon? :/

ReputationRep:
    It's good to see that lots of you are enjoying things so far! I was due to be starting my PGCE this year but due to a close bereavement had to defer.
    I'll be following this thread avidly no doubt, although it has made me quite sad that I'm not along there with you all this year! Keep going!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam89)
    You're doing IT and CS?! *high 5*
    I am indeed. How are you finding the course so far?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    Anyone else stuck home doing uni work on a Saturday afternoon? :/
    Uni work, no. Planning, yes. :-( I have been enjoying planning but really struggling with my numeracy for next week. I haven't taught numeracy to the whole class yet and it's fractions which isn't my strong point. Panic mode!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esmeralda4)
    Uni work, no. Planning, yes. :-( I have been enjoying planning but really struggling with my numeracy for next week. I haven't taught numeracy to the whole class yet and it's fractions which isn't my strong point. Panic mode!
    Are you primary? One thing I've found amazing is the starter and plenary generators on tes, they're awesome for ideas. There's great main activity stuff on there too. What part of it is the panicky bit?

ReputationRep:
    Planned all my lessons for next week before the weekend so thats no worry but got to build all the resources tomorrow ready for the lessons. Have an official observation on the one that went horribly wrong last week which means im dreading that lesson even more than i already was

ReputationRep:
    Are you primary? One thing I've found amazing is the starter and plenary generators on tes, they're awesome for ideas. There's great main activity stuff on there too. What part of it is the panicky bit?
    Yep, Primary. Maths isn't my strong point so that's kinda scary but the main thing that I'm finding difficult is differentiation. I have 5 rather distinct ability groups in my class and apparently most of them weren't solid in their knowledge of fractions last year. I've kept it simple, but it's hard to know whether it will be too hard, too easy....gah! Lol. My mentor has emailed to say my planning for Monday is okay, which makes me feel a bit better, but we shall see.

And thanks for the TES tip! I have had a brief look on there before and it looks good. :-)

Are you primary too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esmeralda4)
    Yep, Primary. Maths isn't my strong point so that's kinda scary but the main thing that I'm finding difficult is differentiation. I have 5 rather distinct ability groups in my class and apparently most of them weren't solid in their knowledge of fractions last year. I've kept it simple, but it's hard to know whether it will be too hard, too easy....gah! Lol. My mentor has emailed to say my planning for Monday is okay, which makes me feel a bit better, but we shall see.

And thanks for the TES tip! I have had a brief look on there before and it looks good. :-)

Are you primary too?
    Yep, I'm primary. Differentiation is hard, but it'll get easier as you get to know your class better. can you get any help from your class teacher? I'm planning together with mine for a while until I know the class better.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I'm primary. Differentiation is hard, but it'll get easier as you get to know your class better. can you get any help from your class teacher? I'm planning together with mine for a while until I know the class better.

Yeah, luckily my mentor is super helpful and supportive. She has helped me a lot with my art lessons for next week (another weak subject...boy oh boy next week will be fun). She said that I should see how this first numeracy lessons goes and then plan from there. It should be easier once I see how they cope with that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.