Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miavdbt)
    Are you joking? How will there be no more 'land to fire from'? Sure, the crops might be gone, but the land will be there! It's not like when the Israelis fire there, all that will be left is this black void of nothingness! It will still be land.

Even better, it will be completely empty, desolate land. Perfect to launch rockets from and far away from civilians.

Frankly, I don't understand your argument.

I'm asking you again, do you think it's justified that Hamas fires and stores rockets form within residential areas or do you think that it would make more sense that they simply fired from their farm fields if they truly had no non-civilian land to fire from?
    You think HAMAS are stupid enough for Israel to destroy both them and the crops the Palestinians rely on?

You want to firstly, starve out the Palestinians, making them suffer, as well as inflicting more deaths on them?

I don not mean to come across as callous but what with the dire situation in Gaza at the moment, food is more vital than human life.

You would rather have less mouths to feed than 1 million mouths to feed without no source from where to derive it from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsr1269)
    You think HAMAS are stupid enough for Israel to destroy both them and the crops the Palestinians rely on?

You want to firstly, starve out the Palestinians, making them suffer, as well as inflicting more deaths on them?

Who said anything about starving out Palestinians? Gaza cannot rely fully on the crops that it grows for sustenance (if even just because they can't grow everything they need due to climate issues) . Just the other
    day, the UN brought more food aid to Gaza. Gaza gets food aid from outside, and if the situation gets so dire that they are starving, I'm sure even more aid will arrive from outside countries and the UN.

Sure, Middle Eastern countries are reluctant to aid Hamas, but many have sent Humanitarian aid to Gaza. This includes food.

I don not mean to come across as callous but what with the dire situation in Gaza at the moment, food is more vital than human life.

See above.

You would rather have less mouths to feed than 1 million mouths to feed without no source from where to derive it from.

They do have sources, as I said. So you're saying that ultimately it is better to fire from civilian areas so more civilian people die, and less people have to be fed rather than destroy the crops, save the civilians and rely on a little bit more Humanitarian aid than usual for a few years after the conflict?

​It seems like you're running out of arguments here.

Another thought I had is, while the tunnels are being destroyed now, this was not the case before. In fact, there was no ground invasion, just airstrikes. Why didn't Hamas place their civilians in the tunnels, originating in various areas in Gaza? They could have acted as shelters for the time being, and would have decreased the human casualties.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by merrill)
    You don't actually have an argument here do you? Just resorting to pulling whatever you can out of your magic hat. This thread is about the current Israel and Palestine conflict. If you want to discuss the IRA, open a new thread and I shall happily discuss things there with you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The conflicts essentially parallels, so there is a lot of relevance to that conflict in this thread. But that is besides the point.

I'm merely pointing out that people like you don't bat an eyelid when Israel are blowing up babies in hospitals simply because their official statement is that they didn't mean to. I merely countered that outlook by applying it to a very similar conflict in which another group's official line is not to kill civilians. They too bombed public areas (though weren't quite bad enough to sink as low as hospitals and the likes) in which civilian casualties were highly likely but still said they 'didn't intend for it to happen'.

Support the actions of one, you support the actions of the other in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tania<3)
    Has anyone seen Russell Brand's spat with Fox New's presenter Sean Hannity?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_m98GAdqKM

Pure gold. Got so much more respect for RB now.
    I saw that! The host was such a **** to his guest. I'm all for supporting the Israeli cause, but he didn't even let his guest be heard. It was disgusting.

ReputationRep:

I saw that and then Sean Hannity got three guests on his show to back him up and that went hilariously wrong

The US has a lot of far right evangelical Christian types... which is probably why US foreign policy is favourable towards Israel (even though its not really in their interests)

Why the UK and Europe support Israel ive no idea - possibly post WW2 guilt?

ReputationRep:
    Fascinating article from the New York Times

Arab Leaders, Viewing Hamas As Worse Than Israel, Stay Silent.

Seems like the only ones who still support Hamas's actions are brainwashed Gazans and misinformed extreme leftists who've fallen for the Hamas propaganda.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Et Tu, Brute?)
    The conflicts essentially parallels, so there is a lot of relevance to that conflict in this thread. But that is besides the point.

I'm merely pointing out that people like you don't bat an eyelid when Israel are blowing up babies in hospitals simply because their official statement is that they didn't mean to. I merely countered that outlook by applying it to a very similar conflict in which another group's official line is not to kill civilians. They too bombed public areas (though weren't quite bad enough to sink as low as hospitals and the likes) in which civilian casualties were highly likely but still said they 'didn't intend for it to happen'.

Support the actions of one, you support the actions of the other in my opinion.
    Apart from the IRA intentionally put bombs in bins in Warrington shopping centres to maim civilians, whereas the IDF targets buildings in civilian areas that are believed to be Hamas missile launch centres. One is done on the intention of harming civilians, whilst the other isdone on the intent of harming combatants with knowledge that civilians are also at risk.

So no, not a parallel in any way possible. Along with the fact that most in Northern Ireland hated the IRA, whilst most Palestinians support Hamas.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    I saw that and then Sean Hannity got three guests on his show to back him up and that went hilariously wrong

The US has a lot of far right evangelical Christian types... which is probably why US foreign policy is favourable towards Israel (even though its not really in their interests)

Why the UK and Europe support Israel ive no idea - possibly post WW2 guilt?
    Is that a serious post or some kind or stupid joke?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miavdbt)
    Fascinating article from the New York Times

Arab Leaders, Viewing Hamas As Worse Than Israel, Stay Silent.

Seems like the only ones who still support Hamas's actions are brainwashed Gazans and misinformed extreme leftists who've fallen for the Hamas propaganda.
    Wouldn't read too much into this. Hamas are out of friends for other reasons; There are posters on here more knowledgable than me on the Hamas situation on the ground, but basically the are desperate. Nobody liked Palestinians to start with (eg. Jordanians/Egyptians generally hate them more than they do Israel for obvious reasons) and sending people into Syria alienated Iran etc too. + the MB losing power in Egypt hurt them lots. It's geopolitical winds, nothing more. Kinda a maelstrom at the moment.

I'm not sure what Hamas's ground support is like currently, but I know there has been some Salafi groundswell, so it could be kinda unstable. They need this war to go on for support, and to generate casualties for the same reasons.

ReputationRep:
    Apart from the IRA intentionally put bombs in bins in Warrington shopping centres to maim civilians, whereas the IDF targets buildings in civilian areas that are believed to be Hamas missile launch centres. One is done on the intention of harming civilians, whilst the other isdone on the intent of harming combatants with knowledge that civilians are also at risk.

So no, not a parallel in any way possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry but the official IRA statement was they go for economic targets, not civilian...hence why the sent warning there was bomb in there area...kind of similar to how Israel do it really.

ReputationRep:
    It is funny (actually more sad), how accurate this is, especially on TSR.

To Mods: Please do not merge/delete this topic. This is a greater discussion on the copy-pasta'd "arguments" we see everywhere, and to what effect these "arguments" have on swaying public opinion.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    I personally think it's quite desperate how even if anyone even gives a slight critical opinion of Israel, then they are deemed an Anti-Semite, Nazi, and Hamas Supporter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Et Tu, Brute?)
    Sorry but the official IRA statement was they go for economic targets, not civilian...hence why the sent warning there was bomb in there area...kind of similar to how Israel do it really.
    The official title of the IDF is they target Hamas and military targets, not economic or civilian. What is your point?

Economic targets rule in both civilian and military targets. You have rather underlined my point. Economic targets mean anything from bombing bases that build nuclear submarines, to having a shootout at KFC.

The IDF also tells people where they are going to strike to the exact grid reference as a warning, not using it as a weapon of terror and intimidation. Unlike the IRA.

You are not doing very well here are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Excellent straw man my good fellow, very clever. I too condemn the genocide of the palestinian people. And remember, it's always acceptable to counter propaganda with more propaganda! I really like this image by the way. Mind if I save it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    Is that a serious post or some kind or stupid joke?
    No its a guess at why Europe supports Israel...

Oh and nice of you to imply I'm stupid...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    No its a guess at why Europe supports Israel...

Oh and nice of you to imply I'm stupid...
    It's a guess that exhibits complete ignorance of the big picture.

Making stupid jokes or being ignorant in certain areas does not make one stupid; I know you're not stupid as evidenced by your finance related blurbs. Which is why it surprised me when you made that comment.

ReputationRep:
    Well will you look at that 6 teenagers summarily executed by the Israelis after the IDF broke the ceasefire.

ReputationRep:
    Palestine pretty much has no allies anymore because of Hamas. If the Palestinians could be trusted, there could be peace over there. The only reason Palestine is so sanctioned is because many Palestinians can't be trusted. So are the Palestinians against Hamas?

ReputationRep:
    The official title of the IDF is they target Hamas and military targets, not economic or civilian. What is your point?

Economic targets rule in both civilian and military targets. You have rather underlined my point. Economic targets mean anything from bombing bases that build nuclear submarines, to having a shootout at KFC.

The IDF also tells people where they are going to strike to the exact grid reference as a warning, not using it as a weapon of terror and intimidation. Unlike the IRA.

You are not doing very well here are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Right ok...now I get it, because everyone know the military importance of civilian hospitals. Under no circumstances is it justified to be bombing a hospital for brain injures for example, no circumstances, be it a terrorist firing a rocket from its roof or a sniper in a window. If is not justified at all and nothing you say will ever make it ok. Just accept you support the massacre of innocence and move on, I've had enough.

I'm doing much better than you because you have no idea. Also I haven't tried to justify the death of innocent people, which you are avidly trying to do, which ultimately makes anything you say pretty moot.

Like I said a million times, I'm done talking to baby killers.

ReputationRep:

this hannity fellow sounds like an idiot. Russell Brands no Einstein either however - claiming that palestine is a small isolated country without a military, unlike 'large' countries like USA or Israel with their 'massive armies'
    Perhaps he should get off his sofa and get to a public library hed discover israels population is barely 8 million, 21 percent of which is arab. and that their army in world terms is tiny , approx 200,000 operatives and about another 500,000 conscripts at anyone time.

i had to turn off after these dumb assertions
    Since when did Z list celebrities start offering solutions to major international issues , dont they ussually get photographed throwing up in the street or doing crack in some toilet?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.