The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Not_a_horse
Yeah I've heard that before too, but looking at the 2016 thread the scores do seem higher this year, but TSR isn't very representative tbh.

no definitley not aha, we'll just have to wait till the averages come out
Original post by Kienzan
Really disappointed at the moment

Ukcat average 627, Band 2
A*A*AAAAABBB GCSEs
AABBb AS levels, to be predicted AAA

Do i stand a chance anywhere this year? Thanks.

help
Original post by AspiringSword
Hi guys. Took the UKCAT recently. Was completely shattered and gutted with my score. Attained a total of 2020 (Average 675) and SJT Band 3 :frown:
I had planned to apply to King's College London, Queen Mary University of London (Barts) and St.George's University of London. Now I'm seriously blanked out. Please guide me guys. Wanted to apply to these three colleges only as they are situated in London. Help is really appreciated!

Please do suggest what I should do......are these colleges gonna be alright? Btw, I am an international student to make things worse....
Original post by ASTK98
You still stand a good chance of getting an interview with that score.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey any idea how the three schools might judge these scores? Where do I have a chance for an interview?
Just did mine and got:

VR 580
QR 830
AR 820
SJ Band 1
Average 743

Im supeeeer happy with my score, but I just wanted to know if unis look at only the total or will me flopping in VR be an issue at any uni's?

Thanks
Hi guys, I sat my UKCAT today and thought I would post my results:

VR: 560
QR: 850
AR: 600
SJT: Band 1
Total: 2010
Average of 670

Overall happy with it, considering when practising I was getting 600 in QR! Just wondering if anyone can give me feedback on where I will be in average terms of UKCAT this year:smile:
Original post by andrewszk
Just did mine and got:

VR 580
QR 830
AR 820
SJ Band 1
Average 743

Im supeeeer happy with my score, but I just wanted to know if unis look at only the total or will me flopping in VR be an issue at any uni's?

Thanks

oh my god! how did you do so well in QR and AR? what did you use??? my exam is in 26 days and i reallllyyyy need to improve me score!
Just did mine and got:

VR 580
QR 830
AR 820
SJ Band 1
Average 743

Thanks

congrats that's amazing! How were you averaging in medify/official tests? And how dis they compare to the actual test in you opinion? I've got mine tomorrow :frown:
Original post by GenericEm
Hi guys, I sat my UKCAT today and thought I would post my results:

VR: 560
QR: 850
AR: 600
Total: 2010
Average of 670

Overall happy with it, considering when practising I was getting 600 in QR! Just wondering if anyone can give me feedback on where I will be in average terms of UKCAT this year:smile:

what were your tools when revising and what was most similar to the exam? (ie medify mock....)
Original post by Sniperdon227
what were your tools when revising and what was most similar to the exam? (ie medify mock....)

I didn't pay for any courses, I just used the 100Q book (which I found extremely helpful as the questions for QR and AR are harder than the actual test, but I just got a bad pick of questions today in AR!) I also sat the three mock tests on the UKCAT website and used all three to practise as if I was taking the real exam. I'd definitely recommend these as they're the most alike to the exam, especially the mocks on the UKCAT website as they make you feel comfortable going into it due to the layout. I also just made sure I knew how to use the on screen calculator using num lock and started practising 4-5 weeks before I sat it. Hope that helps!
Original post by mm_7
oh my god! how did you do so well in QR and AR? what did you use??? my exam is in 26 days and i reallllyyyy need to improve me score!

For QR, i would say definitely practice doing percentage changes until theyre like second nature bc there were sooooo many questions that came up that involved them, but obviously practice other skills like reading tables and graphs quickly since those will be essential and you might get different questions. Best resources for this is probably medify and the official mocks, but you have ages so you should be fine!

And for AR, practice is again important so i recommend medify again. Although, my AR was shocking in the mocks so just dont be discouraged by them. Flagging helped me a lot since when i looked a the second time the pattern became more obvious, so get used to flagging if its taking too long to see the pattern.

My biggest advice would be practice VR as much as possible, because it was my best section in the mocks but by far the worst in the real thing. Get used to read longer passages (3-4 paras).
Hi, sat my UKCAT a couple of weeks ago. Wondering if anyone knows if any official statistics will be released about this year's results and where I can find them.
Here are my results:
VR: 700
QR: 780
AR: 800
Total: 2280/2700
Average: 760

I'm quite pleased with it, but does anyone know how they compare?:smile:
For QR, i would say definitely practice doing percentage changes until theyre like second nature bc there were sooooo many questions that came up that involved them, but obviously practice other skills like reading tables and graphs quickly since those will be essential and you might get different questions. Best resources for this is probably medify and the official mocks, but you have ages so you should be fine!

And for AR, practice is again important so i recommend medify again. Although, my AR was shocking in the mocks so just dont be discouraged by them. Flagging helped me a lot since when i looked a the second time the pattern became more obvious, so get used to flagging if its taking too long to see the pattern.

My biggest advice would be practice VR as much as possible, because it was my best section in the mocks but by far the worst in the real thing. Get used to read longer passages (3-4 paras).

Are the verbal reasoning passages generally a little or a lot longer than the ones on medify Or are they similar? Also how many tru/false sets did yu get? Thanks in advance
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by fizzywaterbottle
congrats that's amazing! How were you averaging in medify/official tests? And how dis they compare to the actual test in you opinion? I've got mine tomorrow :frown:

Thank you! As for my official mocks, in the first one I flopped both QR and AR (both lower than 600) but did good in VR (760) which is ironic...

For the second, all of my sections were pretty even but my score averaged out 660.

I didnt note down what i got in the third one but I think i did worse the second, which basically shows the mocks arent exactly indicative of the real thing.

I didnt do any of the medify mocks, only the practice q's since someone kindly let me borrow theirs.

I would say VR was way harder in the real thing since passages were way longer and filled up the screen so dont get used to the shorter ones in the mocks. QR was way easier, i only got about 3 hard ones and a lot of one step percentage changes - but remember that everyone gets different q's so dont get complacent. Also I think my AR in the real thing was a god send compared to mocks since a lot were simple but again dont get complacent.

Best of luck for tomorrow, and try not to stress too much or you might tire yourself out.
Original post by Kantth1
Are the verbal reasoning passages generally a little or a lot longer than the ones on medify Or are they similar? Also how many tru/false sets did yu get? Thanks in advance

Generally they were a lot longer - I didnt get any 2 paragraph ones, most were 4 paragraphs and seemed to cover the entire screen, although the font seemed larger. You might be luckier than I was but def brush up on reading long paragraphs quickly. I didnt get too mant t/f q's, i think about 5 or 6. A lot of them were ones where you're given 4 statements which was annoying :/
Original post by Kantth1

Im a mature student (37) and have just completed my UKCAT.

600 VR, 720 QR, 630 AR. ave 650

This is pretty much what i have been getting in all my mocks accept for lower QR and higher VR.

I have been preparing for this test for 2 months now. I have read the 600,1000 books, Kaplan book, Medic portal one day course, modify and a little of UKCAT ninja.

Here are my thoughts on the test.

VR was bloody hard. i had 3 T/F/CT and all the statements were virtually the whole page long. They were harder than any examples or mocks out there.

QR was alot lot easier than any other test i had already done. They were not hard just time consuming.

AR. Some very easy some bloody hard. i guessed about 15 as i had no clue.

Overall, i would say the best preparation resource out there is UKCAT ninja. its not as complex as medify or as well timed or as well polished but i would say it was a very good representation of the actual test. Especially QR. If you are struggling on QR (like me) then i highly recommend it.

I have been following this thread from page one and i have to say im 90% happy with my score. So much effort and time has gone into preparing for this test (what summer break!!!!!) but it has been worth it.

Thanks for your help everyone.
Hi everyone I just did the mock in the ISC 1000 Q book and got like 770 in AR but the other two i got around 650 :frown: also i had to guess the last 1 - 2 parts due to time my test in 10 days and im freaking out :frown: also can someone clarify about the 1 step and 2 step percentage questions? what are the 2 step ones like? thanks a lot :')
Hey I got an average of 643, band 1. Is it worth me applying to Queen Mary?
Also,, My worst section is VR so im trying to find my best technique but all of them im runnign out of time and am never completely confident. Do you guys read the passage then look at the questions and get back or read the question and sjut look for the phrases mentioned. This is for the 2nd type btw the statements one.
Hi guys, as everyone is saying the VR section was the hardest in the exam.. was it similar to the VR questions in the ISC 1000's q book? Please reply x Thanks x

Quick Reply

Latest