Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lahigueraxxx)
    Thank you so much - that's really helpful!
    You're very welcome, glad to be of service

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Really disappointed at the moment

Ukcat average 627, Band 2
    A*A*AAAAABBB GCSEs
    AABBb AS levels, to be predicted AAA

Do i stand a chance anywhere this year? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    So guys, does anyone else not think scores this year are a lot higher than last year? Quite worried because I got a sub 700 score

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lahigueraxxx)
    Hey guys, I was just wondering how important gcses are to universities?? I am applying for dentistry and have checked the entry requirements for many universities and the majority don't really specify the number of A*'s they want, however I heard someone say that if you have less than 5 there is no point applying?? If anyone knows any further information I would be very appreciative
    completely depends on the university, just have a good luck around. some unis dont looks at gcses at all and some are very gcse heavy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Not_a_horse)
    So guys, does anyone else not think scores this year are a lot higher than last year? Quite worried because I got a sub 700 score
    there was previous discussion about this. may go down because usually decision analysis boosted up peoples scores, however with only 3 sections people have more time to practice for each sections so we wont know until the averages come out mid october i think it is. but also, pretty sure oxford and sheffield are expecting a decrease in applicants too due to the current climate so its honestly up in the air really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tyranitar)
    Hi all, just did my UKCAT today. It went much better than expected! Here are my scores:

VR - 900
    QR - 900
    AR - 770
    SJ - Band 2. So, overall 2570 with SJ Band 2. I really want to apply to Edinburgh, but I've heard they're really strict with SJ, so I'm scared my Band 2 won't be enough Any thoughts/pointers?
    this is taken from the University of Edinburgh on "how universities use the ukcat" web pdf

Here is a link so you can chech out all the universities: http://www.kaptest.co.uk/sites/kapte...6%20Entry).pdf

University of Edinburgh: The Selection Committee uses your UKCAT score to make a more informed decision about yourapplication.Once all the scores are received we rank them, divide the groups into octiles and allocate a score. Thepoints are then added to your total score to contribute towards your final ranking.Due to the introduction of the Situational Judgement section of the test, we will be assessing this as partof our non-academic requirements and not alongside your overall UKCAT score.We will consider all scores and no applicant will be excluded from selection based on the score achievedin their UKCAT test (although applicants will be excluded if they have failed to take the test and notgained an exemption).The score an applicant achieved may be looked at again when final decisions are being made and there isa number of applicants with the same ranked score and limited places left to offer.

ReputationRep:
    any oversea applicant here?
    i achieved 690, band2 and i'm a bit worried... i have failed one year's application and i really want to be as safe as possible this year. oversea applicants have much greater competition and i dont know if this score is okay this year.
    currently thinking about applying two bmat schools but there is too much risk as well...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xJessScott)
    there was previous discussion about this. may go down because usually decision analysis boosted up peoples scores, however with only 3 sections people have more time to practice for each sections so we wont know until the averages come out mid october i think it is. but also, pretty sure oxford and sheffield are expecting a decrease in applicants too due to the current climate so its honestly up in the air really
    Yeah I've heard that before too, but looking at the 2016 thread the scores do seem higher this year, but TSR isn't very representative tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Not_a_horse)
    Yeah I've heard that before too, but looking at the 2016 thread the scores do seem higher this year, but TSR isn't very representative tbh.
    no definitley not aha, we'll just have to wait till the averages come out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kienzan)
    Really disappointed at the moment

Ukcat average 627, Band 2
    A*A*AAAAABBB GCSEs
    AABBb AS levels, to be predicted AAA

Do i stand a chance anywhere this year? Thanks.
    help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AspiringSword)
    Hi guys. Took the UKCAT recently. Was completely shattered and gutted with my score. Attained a total of 2020 (Average 675) and SJT Band 3
    I had planned to apply to King's College London, Queen Mary University of London (Barts) and St.George's University of London. Now I'm seriously blanked out. Please guide me guys. Wanted to apply to these three colleges only as they are situated in London. Help is really appreciated!
    Please do suggest what I should do......are these colleges gonna be alright? Btw, I am an international student to make things worse....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASTK98)
    You still stand a good chance of getting an interview with that score.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey any idea how the three schools might judge these scores? Where do I have a chance for an interview?

ReputationRep:
    Just did mine and got:

VR 580
    QR 830
    AR 820
    SJ Band 1
    Average 743

Im supeeeer happy with my score, but I just wanted to know if unis look at only the total or will me flopping in VR be an issue at any uni's?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I sat my UKCAT today and thought I would post my results:

VR: 560
    QR: 850
    AR: 600
    SJT: Band 1
    Total: 2010
    Average of 670

Overall happy with it, considering when practising I was getting 600 in QR! Just wondering if anyone can give me feedback on where I will be in average terms of UKCAT this year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrewszk)
    Just did mine and got:

VR 580
    QR 830
    AR 820
    SJ Band 1
    Average 743

Im supeeeer happy with my score, but I just wanted to know if unis look at only the total or will me flopping in VR be an issue at any uni's?

Thanks
    oh my god! how did you do so well in QR and AR? what did you use??? my exam is in 26 days and i reallllyyyy need to improve me score!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrewszk)
    Just did mine and got:

VR 580
    QR 830
    AR 820
    SJ Band 1
    Average 743

Thanks
    congrats that's amazing! How were you averaging in medify/official tests? And how dis they compare to the actual test in you opinion? I've got mine tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GenericEm)
    Hi guys, I sat my UKCAT today and thought I would post my results:

VR: 560
    QR: 850
    AR: 600
    Total: 2010
    Average of 670

Overall happy with it, considering when practising I was getting 600 in QR! Just wondering if anyone can give me feedback on where I will be in average terms of UKCAT this year
    what were your tools when revising and what was most similar to the exam? (ie medify mock....)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sniperdon227)
    what were your tools when revising and what was most similar to the exam? (ie medify mock....)
    I didn't pay for any courses, I just used the 100Q book (which I found extremely helpful as the questions for QR and AR are harder than the actual test, but I just got a bad pick of questions today in AR!) I also sat the three mock tests on the UKCAT website and used all three to practise as if I was taking the real exam. I'd definitely recommend these as they're the most alike to the exam, especially the mocks on the UKCAT website as they make you feel comfortable going into it due to the layout. I also just made sure I knew how to use the on screen calculator using num lock and started practising 4-5 weeks before I sat it. Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mm_7)
    oh my god! how did you do so well in QR and AR? what did you use??? my exam is in 26 days and i reallllyyyy need to improve me score!
    For QR, i would say definitely practice doing percentage changes until theyre like second nature bc there were sooooo many questions that came up that involved them, but obviously practice other skills like reading tables and graphs quickly since those will be essential and you might get different questions. Best resources for this is probably medify and the official mocks, but you have ages so you should be fine!

And for AR, practice is again important so i recommend medify again. Although, my AR was shocking in the mocks so just dont be discouraged by them. Flagging helped me a lot since when i looked a the second time the pattern became more obvious, so get used to flagging if its taking too long to see the pattern.

My biggest advice would be practice VR as much as possible, because it was my best section in the mocks but by far the worst in the real thing. Get used to read longer passages (3-4 paras).

ReputationRep:
    Hi, sat my UKCAT a couple of weeks ago. Wondering if anyone knows if any official statistics will be released about this year's results and where I can find them.
    Here are my results:
    VR: 700
    QR: 780
    AR: 800
    Total: 2280/2700
    Average: 760

I'm quite pleased with it, but does anyone know how they compare?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.