Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva.Gregoria)
    Netflix isn't worth it imo. Too expensive and not enough good shows for the price, especially the UK version.
    :dontknow: Fair enough. It does certainly get to a stage where you have watched the things you are going to want to watch. Although there are ways of accessing US Netflix that vastly increases the number of shows/films available :ninja:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Really good episode, and perfect introduction for who Missy really is - I called it weeks ago:ahee: I hope she returns for the next series
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aula)
    Point is that you use it in the same way that people have used gay - if it is sometimes used to refer to a group of people in a derogatory way, the same rule applies to using it at any time. It's been that way for a while.

Go back and watch "the doctor's wife". We are clearly told (albeit as a throwaway comment) that the Corsair used to change gender.
    I was right:jive:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...=#post49964803

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Yes you were :cute:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Eva.Gregoria)
    Netflix isn't worth it imo. Too expensive and not enough good shows for the price, especially the UK version.
    I really recommend you start watching it from series 4, it has a lot of great episodes, and it'll work towards series 5, 6, and 7.

(Original post by Feefifofum)
    :dontknow: Fair enough. It does certainly get to a stage where you have watched the things you are going to want to watch. Although there are ways of accessing US Netflix that vastly increases the number of shows/films available :ninja:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Mod Note: Guys just a reminder to not chat about illegal methods of acquiring episodes of Doctor Who! Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomtjl)
    The public have no idea what the cybermen are, they obviously think they're harmless. And if this happened in real life, people would start taking selfies.
    Public, if it is the actual real life London. Still a bit sceptical on it. Even so, people would surely remember them from 2006?

(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    Now I thought the exoskeleton comment was obvious - an inorganic humanoid exoskeleton, fairly obvious what that is.

Not sure about that - I like seeing the master back. John simm was one of my favourite villains, I'm looking forward to seeing how gomez does, and what shlers connection to clara is.

Don't see the problem with the gender change - it's been hinted at as canon before: the corsair in the doctors wife, creates an interesting twist as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Aye which was a change made by Moffat and Gatiss. If it had been established pre-Moffat era I might be more accepting of it but I didn't like it then and I don't like it now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    Public, if it is the actual real life London. Still a bit sceptical on it. Even so, people would surely remember them from 2006?

Aye which was a change made by Moffat and Gatiss. If it had been established pre-Moffat era I might be more accepting of it but I didn't like it then and I don't like it now.
    As far as I'm aware, everytime there has been a Cyberman invasion in London there has been some sort of alternate universe fix that stops it from ever happening. I could be forgetting one though, which particular episode did you mean?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    As far as I'm aware, everytime there has been a Cyberman invasion in London there has been some sort of alternate universe fix that stops it from ever happening. I could be forgetting one though, which particular episode did you mean?
    Presumably Army of Ghosts/Doomsday - which was the cybermen phasing through from the parallel universe into this one.

ReputationRep:
    The thing i don't understand about Dr Who is that just a few years earlier a Dalek/Cyberman invasion nearly destroyed the world and people are now seeing the Cybermen and are just like "yeah this is cool"

ReputationRep:

It was mentioned in Victory of the Daleks that Amy had no memory of the Daleks or Cybermen.

It was never explained.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    It was mentioned in Victory of the Daleks that Amy had no memory of the Daleks or Cybermen.

It was never explained.
    Ohh yeah, so they presumably fell into the crack and never existed? (that particular generation of daleks/cybers)

ReputationRep:
    No doubt Moffat would explain that everyone simply forgot.:eek:

ReputationRep:

Aye Army of Ghosts/Doomsday. :holmes:

I still think that it might not actually be the 'real' London.

ReputationRep:
    Aye Army of Ghosts/Doomsday. :holmes:

I still think that it might not actually be the 'real' London.
    Ahh yes, as someone else pointed out everyone had forgotten about that due to the cracks in the universe. It's not really an explanation, but I think it's the best you'll get .

ReputationRep:
    Ahh yes, as someone else pointed out everyone had forgotten about that due to the cracks in the universe. It's not really an explanation, but I think it's the best you'll get .
    This is why I hate Moffat. He has all these ideas but no idea how to explain them logically. The cracks had nothing to do with the Cybermen/Daleks from that early on. If it was the cracks surely it would just be Amy that was effected?

Either way my hatred for Moffat grows. It at times just feels like he is intent on just destroying Dr Who.

ReputationRep:
    If this finale doesn't lead into or have some kind of link to the return of the Time Lords then I'm going to start getting annoyed. What was the point in retconning the whole "last of the Time Lords" thing if the Time Lords will never come back?

I suppose this is what Steven Moffat calls an "arc"- mentioning something once and then expanding on it three series later.

ReputationRep:
    Moffat is a good writer, but in a way his talent gets in the way of writing a coherent story. It's all character, character, character, and the plot is an after thought. This actually worked well early in the series with episodes like "Listen", but two of his three characters are really bad, politically correct feminist gender constructions that don't remotely resemble human beings, the plots and storylines are rushed into and not thought about, and most of the time are just ridiculous and broken. The kind of fast, off beat, piffy style that seems to work in Sherlock is not compatable with the Dr Who narrative style. It's like he's imitating the Tarantino style, without the coherence, complexity or depth, and it just comes off as rushed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GCSEsitter)
    I think Moffat is a great writer but this series has been disappointing to say the least. I just have one question, at they very end of the last episode when Danny is about to press delete we see the reflection of someone else's face in the iPad. Who was that??
    I didn't even notice this. Just watched the last couple of minutes again - it's the boy! The boy Danny killed whilst still a soldier.

ReputationRep:
    I think Moffat is an appallingly 1 dimensional writer who's being found out for the hack he is. The same episodes again and again. The same overly witty, borderline cringey dialogue and sharp exchanges every episode. The same recycled, half baked plotlines each episode. And then the loose, unfulfilled plot strands like the crack etc. It seems he has these ideas, runs with them but then realises there is no coherent end to them so a half baked ending is inserted.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.