Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zyyz)
    The posts in this thread which if were in fact put into practice would improve the club get negged, why? Because they don't have the winning mentality. People are happy paying money and getting deluded by arsenal football club.

If we got higuain for 25 million we've still got 45 million left , 2 more players 22.5 million each now were talking, a left winger and a defensive mid.
    Rather a centre attacking mid than a left winger. Prefer Cazorla on the left with another creative outlet in the middle like rosicky. Plus we also have podolski and the ox there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Without even knowing the fixture list? :curious: I don't think we'll be pushing for the title at all, but this seems harsh.
    I'm not being serious with the first 5 games comment however I do see you out of the title race by december, no matter what the fixture list is. I think you'll push for the title in the 14/15 season, but lets be honest, the squad right now isn't good enough and if you were to buy quality players this summer that would improve the team, they'd need time to settle in(see chelsea and man city's transitions) and if you kept this current squad take it this way, as a chelsea fan I'd take 2 of your players tops to improve the first 11(wilshere+cazorla). A united fan would take around 3 of your players(2 wingers of their liking and wilshere) and city would take pretty much none of your players to improve their first 11. That's why I don't think you'll win the title, because as of now you're easily the 4th strongest team in the league, nothing more nothing less.

(Original post by Zürich)
    Well with the pretty average squad Utd have, minus Fergie, and City/Chelsea unpredictable as well, I doubt Arsenal will be as far away as you imply. This is even without discuss potential big money signings for the first time in 10 years at Arsenal.

Fact of the matter is that Wenger usually improves on our points total when he doesnt have to rebuild and we got 73 points last season. I dont think 80+ points is out of the question in 2013/14, even though I dont think we'll actually win it.

I'm predicting a 50% chance of Chelsea recruiting a new manager by December...
    I'm predicting tottenham to be 10 points above you by february...
    But in all seriousness. You really think chelsea and city will be unpredictable? Pellegrini has improved every club he's been at with cash or without cash, same for mourinho, do you really think they'll both systematically have a blip at the same time and arsenal will pounce on it. I think fergie probably gives united 5-10 points extra a season, however this season they had the title wrapped up pretty early, have a young team with many quality players. I think you could get above them but that's still unlikely, van persie will manage to dig them out of holes if needed and it's not like united aren't going to spend this summer on quality players.

Plus anyway the reason united won so much was also because they had a very big squad with backup players of a slightly lower level to the first team, so were never in the biggest injury crisis. I think moyes realises that already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    Don't know why this got negged as people slate us for not trying to win the title and celebrating fourth place then they slate us for being delusional about the title. This just doesn't make sense.
    Don't celebrate fourth place, celebrate the title. Basically don't be content with 4th place but be realistic (it's very unlikely to happen) I remember these exact same posts last year, saying that RVP will stay and that the team is strong enough to win the title and how did that turn out? It would be nice seeing arsenal win it and seeing arsene's patience fulfilled. But I really don't see it happening at this point in time.

One thing I can see is that Arsenal have a dedicated group of players at this moment in time, you have the funds to keep them and I don't see anybody throwing a spanner in the works. Sagna is the only person in the first 11 who is likely to leave and well he's not that big a miss. He won't give you more than 7 million at his age and position. So at the very least you'll have stability for once.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Jam is just been a terrible troll. He must be.
    More of a half trolling than full on trolling, I do think you'll be out of the title race by december though, or on the fringes of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    You clearly have no knowledge of odds or probability.
    1 in 20 chance of winning. Thats before we take in to account the ability of teams, history etc. Everyone has the same odds without factoring in those variables.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jibberish)
    1 in 20 chance of winning. Thats before we take in to account the ability of teams, history etc. Everyone has the same odds without factoring in those variables.
    That's a good one. You have a point...
    We'll just extrapolate that to saying Ajax have the same chance of winning the CL as Barcelona do...

ReputationRep:
    First of all it would be 20/1, not 1/20. Second of all, "without taking into account the ability of teams", that's clearly ridiculous. Are you saying winning the league is nothing to do with footballing ability?

ReputationRep:
    First of all it would be 20/1, not 1/20. Second of all, "without taking into account the ability of teams", that's clearly ridiculous. Are you saying winning the league is nothing to do with footballing ability?
    See my ajax extrapolation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    That's a good one. You have a point...
    We'll just extrapolate that to saying Ajax have the same chance of winning the CL as Barcelona do...
    Theoretically, yes. Was just trying to point out that all clubs are on an equal level on day one. A lot of people here don't understand that. If as fans all you are expecting is 4th place then thats what going to happen cause the players will feel what the fans feel. I personally don't see any reason why we can't challenge for the title and win it. New managers, players departing and mini-crises at other clubs surely racks the odds at our favour. Add to the fact that we have a stable squad for the first time in years put us at a distinctly advantageous position- a position that most title winning clubs had before they started their season.

ReputationRep:
    See my ajax extrapolation.
    To be fair I reckon Accrington Stanley have a decent shot at the FA Cup this year

ReputationRep:
    Theoretically, yes. Was just trying to point out that all clubs are on an equal level on day one. A lot of people here don't understand that. If as fans all you are expecting is 4th place then thats what going to happen cause the players will feel what the fans feel. I personally don't see any reason why we can't challenge for the title and win it. New managers, players departing and mini-crises at other clubs surely racks the odds at our favour. Add to the fact that we have a stable squad for the first time in years put us at a distinctly advantageous position- a position that most title winning clubs had before they started their season.
    See my last few posts on this page. I'm really not bothered to repeat it again.
    Not the one trying to piss people off but my response to abiraleft and zurich.

Not really. I'm guessing dortmund fans were expecting the league in 2010-11 or the next season when they were 8 points behind bayern munich in mid september.

No doubt the fans need to support the team but there's being a supporter and there's being unrealistic. E.g. I can say that chelsea will win a quadruple next season. That is being unrealistic, doesn't mean that I won't support them and hope they win one. That's the simple point I'm trying to make.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair I reckon Accrington Stanley have a decent shot at the FA Cup this year
    That's pretty likely personally. Crawley town are the giant killers as well. Reckon a domestic treble for them.

ReputationRep:
    **** me its hard instilling any positivity here. I'm glad not all Arsenal supporters I know are so negative. Those that are the ones that call for Wengers head in January and then come the end of the season they cant see Arsenal being run without him

ReputationRep:
    Don't see why people are saying Chelsea and Manchester City are going through a mini crisis.

Mourinho this is the guy who turns home stadiums into absolute fortresses. At his first stint they didn't score that much but my god were they close to impenetrable, Madrid their defense not as good so it just turned if you score we will just score two.

You would think those two clubs were getting someone like Redknapp :laugh:

That's pretty likely personally. Crawley town are the giant killers as well. Reckon a domestic treble for them.
    well you know everyone starts off on even ground so yeah.

ReputationRep:
    **** me its hard instilling any positivity here. I'm glad not all Arsenal supporters I know are so negative. Those that are the ones that call for Wengers head in January and then come the end of the season they cant see Arsenal being run without him
    There there man. *pats back*
    I think the 14/15 season could be your year. But a good cup run would be most likely. The trophy drought can't last forever, it was funny for the first 5-6 years but since then I've actually been supporting arsenal to win something...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Don't see why people are saying Chelsea and Manchester City are going through a mini crisis.

Mourinho this is the guy who turns home stadiums into absolute fortresses. At his first stint they didn't score that much but my god were they close to impenetrable, Madrid their defense not as good so it just turned if you score we will just score two.

You would think those two clubs were getting someone like Redknapp :laugh:

well you know everyone starts off on even ground so yeah.
    Harry redknapp at chelsea :rofl:
    I'm sure that mourinho has only lost 2 home league games since 2002, barcelona and sporting gijon. That home record was ridiculous.

Also add that pellegrini has the second highest league points total for madrid. They're no mugs and are no strangers to new challenges. Pellegrini will slot right in I feel.

ReputationRep:
    Tahiti for the confederations cup?

ReputationRep:
    Harry redknapp at chelsea :rofl:
    I'm sure that mourinho has only lost 2 home league games since 2002, barcelona and sporting gijon. That home record was ridiculous.

Also add that pellegrini has the second highest league points total for madrid. They're no mugs and are no strangers to new challenges. Pellegrini will slot right in I feel.
    Exactly. Wherever Mourinho goes you can take it to the bank he will turn the home games somewhere unbeatable. The Redknapp comparison was to like say Chelsea are not getting some scrub as a manager their getting Mourinho! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Tahiti for the confederations cup?
    Speaking of that, is there a confed cup thread? Tahiti were absolutely destroyed.

ReputationRep:
    Speaking of that, is there a confed cup thread? Tahiti were absolutely destroyed.
    Yeah there is.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2379891

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.