Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kerry-Louise123)
    Also- do any of you know if the UCAS welcome letter is okay for evidence of applying please?
    For the skills test? That's what I used and it was fine good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah for me personally it was. Although I know they have some easier and some harder tests and they equate the results accordingly!
    I had a couple of questions that weren't on the practise tests!
    I also bought numeracy ready which helped!
    I'd like to think I'm not bad at maths (got a B at GCSE and currently work in a primary school teaching fractions etc) and I couldn't have passed without preparing!
    I prepared lots and passed first time!
    Good luck only you know if you're ready!

ReputationRep:
    Mod edit: Discussion of specific interview activities and tasks at specific universities is against TSR rules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Don't let not getting an offer in one uni put you off at another. Different unis look for different things, and also you will be against different candidates. Plus everyone performs slightly differently on different days in different environments, and the interviewers will have different views as well. The MMU result is certainly not a reason you shouldn't get in UoM.

Whatever you do don't panic and stress yourself out overpreparing. You can only be your best, and making yourself ill will definitely not help! Plus, to an extent, I think that there is a time which someone is ready to enter a specific teacher training course and the uni is likely to see that whatever, so there's a limited amount you can do (just reflect on experience really!).

Good luck

xxx
    Thanks, I just don't think I can cope with another rejection. I'm trying to stop myself getting too nervous, but it's very difficult, especially with three exams, an interview and a presentation to look forward too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boggleman)
    Thanks, I just don't think I can cope with another rejection. I'm trying to stop myself getting too nervous, but it's very difficult, especially with three exams, an interview and a presentation to look forward too
    The science exam is not used to decide who gets in and who doesn't. It's just so they know which level of refresher course to put you on if you get a place! So try not to worry about that!
    I'd get a gcse maths and literacy work book from whsmith and work through it. I was supposed to be going on the 10th and my friend who did hers there recommended it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooksy1704)
    The science exam is not used to decide who gets in and who doesn't. It's just so they know which level of refresher course to put you on if you get a place! So try not to worry about that!
    I'd get a gcse maths and literacy work book from whsmith and work through it. I was supposed to be going on the 10th and my friend who did hers there recommended it!
    I bought the KS3 ones, and am working my way through bitesize atm, so are you no longer going on the tenth?

ReputationRep:
    My second reference FINALLY got back to me this morning and I've just seen that PGCE English at Leeds is full. I'm absolutely gutted. I'm so unsure about my final choice now. Anyone got any insight about Bristol, Durham and IofE? I'm having a ranking-based panic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jz_s)
    My second reference FINALLY got back to me this morning and I've just seen that PGCE English at Leeds is full. I'm absolutely gutted. I'm so unsure about my final choice now. Anyone got any insight about Bristol, Durham and IofE? I'm having a ranking-based panic!
    Choose the one that's most convenient for you. Ranking doesn't matter for Teacher training.

ReputationRep:
    Passed my literacy skills test this morning! Is it right that we don't find out our actual score? I can't see it anywhere. Now just going to spend the rest of the day revising numeracy. Thanks for your help yesterday- turns out they didn't ask for proof of the application anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kerry-Louise123)
    Passed my literacy skills test this morning! Is it right that we don't find out our actual score? I can't see it anywhere. Now just going to spend the rest of the day revising numeracy. Thanks for your help yesterday- turns out they didn't ask for proof of the application anyway!
    You can only view your score if you fail, if you pass you just get "passed" and that's it.

xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just signed up to the forum to speak to people who may be in the same situation as myself..

I have two interviews lined up in the new year. One for PGCE Primary and one for PGCE Early Years and I am absolutely terrified. I have worked towards this career for years and the worry of not getting in just scares the life out of me. I graduated in 2011 from my degree and have been working on experience ever since.

I just think the interview process is really daunting. There is so much to prepare for I'm scared of missing something out.

I just feel like it is an awful lot to expect from candidates when we are applying to learn a lot of the techniques I'm being asked to demonstrate.

Also the skills tests, is there anywhere to revise the stuff that is on them? I can't seem to find anything other than the page where I book them..?

Thank you for any advice!
    Lauren

ReputationRep:
    I"ve applied to Cambridge for a PGCE and put down Homerton and Queens as my two choices. I went to Jesus College as a undergrad and they're pretty good for accommodating postgrads but I wanted to have a (slightly) different experience! Queen's has quite a lot of postgrad accommodation with one purpose built block. It's still near the city centre but arguably slightly closer to the education fac than quite a few of the colleges. My third choice would have been Emma, but that's purely because it's pretty and is very close to John Lewis. What are you looking for? Somewhere old, new, mostly postgrad? mostly undergrad?

Also it's worth remembering that some placements might be outside of a commutable distance, in which case, for perhaps one term, you wouldn't be living in cambridge anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurenjk7)
    Just signed up to the forum to speak to people who may be in the same situation as myself..

I have two interviews lined up in the new year. One for PGCE Primary and one for PGCE Early Years and I am absolutely terrified. I have worked towards this career for years and the worry of not getting in just scares the life out of me. I graduated in 2011 from my degree and have been working on experience ever since.

I just think the interview process is really daunting. There is so much to prepare for I'm scared of missing something out.

I just feel like it is an awful lot to expect from candidates when we are applying to learn a lot of the techniques I'm being asked to demonstrate.

Also the skills tests, is there anywhere to revise the stuff that is on them? I can't seem to find anything other than the page where I book them..?

Thank you for any advice!
    Lauren
    Just keep calm and don't panic!

They aren't (or shouldn't be) looking for a perfectly formed teacher. What they want is someone who is interested in and passionate about education, who has good reflective skills (both self and other), who has the academic skills to complete masters level assignments and who has the personal maturity to handle the intensity of training and teaching. Like you say, being able to teach a good lesson and knowing a lot about all the ins and outs of teaching are what they are aiming to teach you/assist you in learning through training. I know my ITT provider looked for potential, not someone who already thought they knew everything (obviously the institution would like to instill certain values in their students and so candidates who haven't fully formed their principles yet are better than those who have already formed many which contradict the ideals of the provider). I guess I can't speak for all providers... I know some expect you to teach lessons etc for the interview which I like you find odd... but I would hope that again they are looking for potential not perfection.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbxox)
    Anyone else have an interview at Bishop Grosseteste on 14th January?
    I do! Is yours morning or afternoon? Feeling nervous as it's my first choice! 😀

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sara Jayne)
    I do! Is yours morning or afternoon? Feeling nervous as it's my first choice! 😀
    The afternoon! you? yeah I know, it's mine to.. have you had any others yet? xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbxox)
    The afternoon! you? yeah I know, it's mine to.. have you had any others yet? xx
    Mine is in the morning! I have a conditional offer for York at John but want to go to BG. How about you? Z

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have an interview for pgce primary at St Marys? Or any advice if you've already had one? I have mine next Wednesday and am very nervous!! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alice_R23)
    Anyone have an interview for pgce primary at St Marys? Or any advice if you've already had one? I have mine next Wednesday and am very nervous!! x
    I have mine next Wednesday too! Are you doing Primary or Secondary? X

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boggleman)
    I bought the KS3 ones, and am working my way through bitesize atm, so are you no longer going on the tenth?
    No mmu was my first choice and I've had an unconditional offer from them so have withdrawn from manchester!
    Good luck tho you sound passionate I'm sure you will be fine!!
    I know a few people who didn't get on at mmu but went on to be offered a place at manchester!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brooksy1704)
    No mmu was my first choice and I've had an unconditional offer from them so have withdrawn from manchester!
    Good luck tho you sound passionate I'm sure you will be fine!!
    I know a few people who didn't get on at mmu but went on to be offered a place at manchester!
    fingers crossed I'll be one of those people

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.